17 comments

Funny Fiction Contemporary

TW: swearing.


“’Do you like cheese?’” Bobby asks, incredulously.


Kurtis shrugs. “Seems like a valid question to me.”


Bobby deadpans.


“What? I saw it in a movie,” Kurtis defends.


“And how did that go? For the person who asked his date that question?”


“I don’t know. I didn’t finish the movie. Fell asleep.” Kurtis shrugs again, taking a sip of his drink.


Bobby slaps his hand to the side of his head. “Kurtis, come on, man. I know it’s been a long time since Barb passed – “


“Hey, don’t talk about her like that!” Kurtis interjects, elbow to table, finger scolding.


Bobby’s shoulders come up to his ears, his palms up, defensively. His face says: What the fuck, man?


Kurtis relaxes, leaning back into his seat. “Sorry. Reflex.” He offers his palms in surrender. “Continue.”


Bobby’s hands fall back onto the table. “Seriously, you gotta get back out there. You gotta find someone who will take care of you, Kurt. I can’t just keep meeting you at Taco Bell for Crunchwrap Supremes every time you get hungry.”


His mouth full of crunchwrap, his eyes widen, “Why not?”


“Because I have a wife. And I have kids. And they need me. I’m missing Jake’s soccer match right now. First of the season.” Bobby notes Kurtis’ slight deflation at his words. He lets out an audible exhalation. “Look, I know you and Barb were together for a long time – “


“Since we were teenagers,” Kurtis adds.


“Yeah, I know, buddy. You two had something real special. Her death was a tragedy. An insurmountable loss – “


“Insurmountable?” Kurtis pauses again, tilts his head. “That’s a good word.”


“The point is – Kurtis, she died five years ago. She’d want you to move on. She’d want you to find someone to take care of you. She wouldn’t want you to be alone.”


“I’m not alone, Bobby, I got you,” Kurtis says, a hint of jest in his voice.


“I can’t take care of you the way she did, Kurt.”


Kurtis stares at him, chewing.


“And you aren’t going to find someone who will by going around asking women if they like cheese,” Bobby quips.


Kurtis finishes chewing, taking his time as he maintains steady eye contact with Bobby. His expression is a stubborn knowing: he knows Bobby is right, but he doesn’t want to admit it. Once he swallows his food, he swipes a napkin across his face, crumples it in his hand, and casually tosses it on the table. The two men watch it roll and land just on the edge.


Finally, Kurtis sighs. “I know, I know,” he groans. “I know you’re right. Barb would want me to find someone else. She practically put it in her will,” he chuckles. “It’s just that… Barb and I were together a long time. We’d never been with anyone else, you know. Everything was always so easy between us. We never had to think about what to say or how to say it, we just said it! I have no idea how to court a woman, now! Hell, it’s been thirty years! What do I know about talking to women anymore?” He shakes his head, takes another sip of his drink.


Bobby offers a sympathetic look. Perhaps, he’d pushed his friend too hard. “Barb was no dumb cookie, Kurt. And you got her to stick around for thirty years. You must know something about talking to woman.”


At that, Kurtis erupts into laughter, which then quickly turns into a coughing fit. He covers his mouth with a napkin to keep his soda where it should be. Once collected, he says, “One time, when we were teenagers, we’d just started dating… Barb looked into my eyes and said, ‘Wow, you have such incredible eyes, like storm clouds settling into a blue sky – ‘“


“— Wow, she said that?” Bobby is impressed.


Kurtis nods, humming his agreement, equally impressed. “You wanna know what I said in return?”


“Huh?”


“I said, ‘Your eyes look like shit.’”


Bobby is taken aback. “What?!”


A silent, shameful nod. “Yeah.”


“Why the hell did you say that? Barb had beautiful eyes!”


More nodding. “Yup. Brown. They were the best damn eyes I’d ever seen, but hell, she made me so nervous.”


“Couldn’t think of anything else to say?”


“Nope, not at the time,” Kurtis shrugs, shakes his head.


Incredulous disgust takes over Bobby’s face as he narrows his eyes at his friend. “How the hell did you get Barb to love you?


“Beats me. See! This is what I mean. When we were teenagers, you could get away with stuff like that. Now, everyone’s so sensitive. I say one wrong thing, and I’m, uh, what’s the word?”


“Cancelled.”


“Yeah, cancelled! The whole idea makes me even more nervous!”


Bobby’s sympathy returns. He can see Kurtis is genuinely getting a little sweaty over the idea. But he also sees the desperation deep within his aching chest. “I know, bud. That’s why I’m gonna help you,” he leans forward a little, reaching his hand back into his pocket to pull out his phone. “Dating – no one calls it courting anymore – dating is actually a lot easier now, especially for folks like you, alright. There’re niche dating sites all over the internet – “


Kurtis huffs, rolling his eyes at the word. “Oh, sheesh, I don’t know about all tha—”


“No, no, hear me out, Kurt. Let’s just try. These sites can help you eliminate anyone who would potentially be a wrong fit for you. Plus, you can send them a message before you meet them, which will give you time to think about what to say instead of blurting out, ‘your eyes look like poop!’” Bobby is typing on his phone, searching. “ – aaaand, here we are. Look at this, it’s a dating site for widows and widowers.” Bobby flashes his phone quickly at Kurtis, who takes a quick glance and dismisses it. Now scrolling, Bobby regains his momentum. “Oh, look, here’s a lovely woman who is ‘looking for a Bingo partner to join her Saturday night games. The perfect candidate would be someone who can win…’” Bobby’s reading slows. “’— preferably someone who doesn’t talk much, doesn’t smell, and would be willing to rub athlete’s foot cream on her feet after her morning walks…?” Disgust morphs Bobby’s face. “What the – “


Kurtis guffaws loudly, filling the room with his bellowing laughter. “Now, she sounds like a lot of fun!”


Bobby swipes out of her profile. “And this is what I mean about eliminating people who you’d be better off not meeting. Let’s find someone else… Oh, OK, here’s someone… She’s 42, a little younger than you. She has three adult children, and one grandchild. She’s a nurse, looking for someone to hike with during the day and drink wine with in the evenings. She likes tennis and bowling. She sounds perfect! What do you think?”


Kurtis narrows his eyes, that stubbornness playing at its edges. “What’s it say under religion?”


“Uh, I don’t know if there is –” Bobby scrolls down a bit. “Oh, nope, they have it. It says… WWJD.” He tilts his head upwards, pouting his lips. “Huh, do people still say that?”


“Nope, she’s a nut,” He puts his thumb down, making a fart sound. “Next.”


Bobby rolls his eyes, but continues to scroll. “Just because someone follows Jesus doesn’t make them a nut, it makes them morally conscious.”


Kurtis is tilting his head back to slide ice into his mouth. “She’s a nut,” he gurgles.


“OK, what about this one? Marcy is a 47-year-old widow – man, these people must have lost their spouses at such a young age…” He trails off, then gives Kurtis an apologetic half-smile. Though his eyes sadden, Kurtis just lifts a shoulder, as if to say, It’s OK. He gestures for him to keep reading. “Marcy thinks ‘romantic walks on the beach are alright, but have you ever snuck Chinese food into a movie theater? She likes to cook, but would rather order fast food and drink beer in a kayak. Books are fun, but so are live rock concerts. Marcy is looking for someone to joke with, but most importantly, wants to find someone with whom she can share her new invention: Ping Pong Jenga!’” Bobby accentuates the “uh” in Jenga, drawing it out into an “uuuuhhhh.” When he looks up, Kurtis is still, staring at him, mouth slightly agape.


“What?” says Bobby.


“She’s the one,” Kurtis says flatly.


Surprise draws laughter out of Bobby’s lips. “Really? Her? Talk about a nut!”


“No, she’s not a nut! She sounds like a fun person. She sounds perfect." His eyes lower to the cup in his hand. He shakes it, and the ice inside clatters. “I could use someone fun, to give me a little distraction. Someone a little different..." Kurtis knows Bobby can’t understand what it is like to lose a spouse, a best friend. Fun seems like an impossibility after a loss like that.


Bobby’s eyebrows are raised. “You sure? You don’t’ even want to see what she looks like?”


“Don’t need to.”


“Uh… alrighty then! OK, well, first, we gotta make you an account…” Bobby’s fingers move quickly across the screen. “Then, we’ll reach out to her, and she what she says. If she responds and you make a date, we’ll, uh, talk about appropriate compliments to give to women and normal questions to ask them.” He hands his phone to Kurtis, then slides out of their booth. “You get started. I’m gonna grab another taco. You want anything?”


Kurtis is already tapping an index finger slowly on the phone, intently focused. Just the thought of potentially, maybe, going on a date makes him nervous. “Uh, yeah. Another burrito. Don’t think I could have another crunchwrap.”


“You want the cheesy one?”


Kurtis looks up from the phone, his face teetering between disgust and confusion. “What kind of stupid question is that, Bobby? Who wouldn't want the one with cheese?”


September 22, 2023 13:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Delbert Griffith
15:13 Sep 22, 2023

Hilarious and heartbreaking at the same time, AnneMarie. You really got the dialogue of middle-aged guys who have been lifelong friends down pat. Like you've been eavesdropping on them! LOL I agree with Kurtis; the last woman sounds like fun. I'm not a fan of Taco Bell, but fun is what he needs right now. You can never forget your beloved after he/she passes, but you can continue to live. Nicely done, AnneMarie. A breath of fresh air. Cheers!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
00:54 Sep 23, 2023

There was no eavesdropping - these two wouldn't stop talking to me the other night. I had to write them as a stress release after writing Alteration 😂 Definitely a breath of fresh air. I got a little inspiration from Scott Christenson's shortlisted story, Curdled. Who doesn't love cheese? Thanks again for your endless kindness. You sure know how to make a writer feel good. I appreciate you!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
09:55 Sep 23, 2023

Yeah, I read Scott's tale as well. It was fantastic!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
15:44 Oct 20, 2023

Hi AnneMarie! Oh my goodness, I adored this story because it was such a wonderful take on friendship. The people who are there for you after you lose the one person who means the most to you can truly shape your path to recovery. I loved that this piece was set in a Taco Bell because that made it wonderfully funny while also incredibly realistic. You had a couple really great observations in there like the line about missing the soccer game and the line about people losing their spouses at very young ages. I also loved that we learned a litt...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:52 Oct 20, 2023

Thanks so much for reading, Amanda! These two characters were chatting away in my head one night and I loved the way they balanced their humor with tragedy while still honoring the tenderness of the whole situation. Glad you enjoyed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:52 Sep 28, 2023

Lots of people mentioned the great dialogue, and the deeper challenges of (re)starting to date late in life, so I'm going to say, I love how it both starts and ends with cheese. And I think that's a deeper topic than it seems. Asking a woman, "do you like cheese?" is quirky at best, and I suspect most women, and Bobby, would not consider it "at best". But for Kurtis, quirky is fun, and he's desperate for fun. It's the kind of question Barb would have responded to, and it's not surprising he's looking for another woman that might do the sam...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
02:10 Sep 29, 2023

Aw, yes, I think you picked up on something really important, regarding Bobby and Kurtis' friendship. I imagine it would be an incredibly hard position to be in to be the best friend when someone's spouse dies. I also imagined that Bobby had some grieving to do over Barb, as well, but of course had to put more focus on supporting Kurtis. I'm sure Bobby also feels a little guilty for having a healthy wife and kids. It certainly does seem more complicated, and I think you're right about them being closer after this. Perhaps Barbs passing had c...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:38 Sep 29, 2023

Yeah, that's an odd phenomenon, come to think of it. You lose someone important to you and it hurts, but you don't really have the time to grieve because your friend has "more right" to grief, and they're hurting harder. I could see that being one of those odd situations where you want the best for someone, and resent them for it at the same time. Definitely worth exploring.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
21:35 Sep 27, 2023

Another great story!! Very entertaining and realistic dialogue! Great premise.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
21:56 Sep 27, 2023

Critique group again this week! I saw the title of yours and am super intrigued and excited to read... it's my husband's birthday today so I might not get to it tonight but tomorrow for sure! Thanks for reading, Jonathan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:44 Sep 25, 2023

Ahh this is great , the dialogue is fantastic and just pops. Definitely difficult and daunting getting back out there after a while , for whatever reason, and you captured that perfectly in Kurtis apprehension. Lovely work!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
04:37 Sep 27, 2023

Thanks so much Derrick! I heard these two bantering away in my head one night and had to get them on (digital) paper!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
13:58 Sep 25, 2023

Great story, AnneMarie! These two are so likable, and you portray such a wonderful friendship between them. Bobby is very aware of being sensitive to Kurtis’s feelings, with just the right amount of push to get him to where he can be happy again. I want a Part 2 where we see him out on his date!!!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
04:15 Sep 27, 2023

Thanks for the read and comment, Nina! A part 2 is tempting!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:19 Sep 23, 2023

You do a great job of revealing Kurtis’s character - at his best and worst. Also, you highlighted the problem of how does someone meet someone after so many years of being with someone else? Kurtis doesn’t seem like someone who’d get on well with internet dating, so it’s just as well he has his friend to help him. There’s something endearing about the friendship between the two men. Fingers crossed for the meeting with the Ping Pong Jenga woman! Hopefully Barb will be watching and approving. A lot of fun here, but with serious undertones.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:01 Sep 23, 2023

Thanks, Helen. You're right, I don't think Kurtis could or would try to meet a woman on his own. He certainly needs a friend to help him get back on his feet, especially since he's middle aged and only been with one woman in his life. That truly seems like a challenge. I had this as a full on comedy in my head, but the depth of his loss really came through and revealed the reality of the situation. Thanks for reading and taking the time to leave such a wonderful comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lei King
22:41 Sep 25, 2023

You did an amazing job in showing us both the best and worst sides of Kurtis's character. I found it really fascinating how you brought up the challenge of meeting someone new after being in a long-term relationship for so long. It seems like Kurtis isn't really into online dating and probably wouldn't even know where to start with creating his own dating profile. Luckily, he's got a great friend to lend him a hand. The friendship between these two guys is just so heartwarming, Also, fingers crossed for meeting the Ping Pong Jenga lady! ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.