0 comments

Romance

The holidays are coming up and buying gifts can be one of the most stressful things that anyone could do. Making sure it’s a gift something that he would like, but also making sure it’s not too extravagant, but also wanting the gift to be extravagant because it is what he deserves, is what Gabriella has been struggling to do.

 

“Maybe I should get him an Apple Watch,” she thought as she pulled up to the parking lot of the mall, “but what if he doesn’t want an Apple Watch, maybe he wants a regular watch, or should I get him some cologne?”

 

Walking around the mall, Gabriella first started looking in the Tommy Hilfiger store. Looking at all the different clothes for men, she thought, “maybe Troy would like a polo from here. I mean they’re pretty pricey but it’s something he would wear”

 

Looking at the different polos she couldn’t decide if it was something he would like. She thought they were pretty basic but it’s something Troy would use and hopefully appreciate. Thinking about buying him polos made her remember that Troy already has a bunch of polos on his own.

 

“Maybe buying him another polo isn’t the best option,” she finally thought and left the store.

 

Moving onto the next store she started to think that if clothes weren’t the best option then maybe she can get him a new wallet. His wallet was already breaking because of how old it was but also because of how much cash he keeps stored in it. She always asked him why he kept so much cash on him and she remembers how he would always tell her “just in case I decide to make a big purchase.” She never understood that but still went along with it.

 

Entering the Louis Vuitton store, the first place she went to was the wallets. She thought they were the perfect gift especially since he needs a new wallet. As she was walking towards the wallets, she saw that there was only one left.

 

“That’s so weird that a big store like this would only have one wallet left on display like this,” Gabriella thought as she was starting to reach for the wallet.

 

She opened up the wallet and saw the price was well over $500. She thought it was way out of her budget but she thought the wallet was really nice and it looked like something Troy would LOVE. She decided to take a look around the store and see maybe she can find something more in her budget. Considering she was in a high end brand store, she knew she possibly could not find something within her budget.

 

“I knew I should’ve gotten two jobs,” she thought sadly as she was looking at the belts, “this belt costs almost as much as the wallet and together I can pay at least this month’s bills”

 

Walking out of the store in defeat she decided to go around the mall and hope something would appear out of nowhere. Gabriella eventually started shopping herself. Being stressed at the mall with money to splurge, she realized probably was not the best idea. Christmas is in less than two weeks and she decided to use all her money on herself and food.

 

She felt almost guilty that she bought herself the stuff she wanted but she felt stress and knew this was almost like a relief for her. She decided to go home and figure out what she was going to buy him. 

 

“Maybe a puppy would work, or is that something I want more than he does?” she questioned herself as she put the stuff she wanted away.

 

Hearing the door open she knew Troy had already come home and she still doesn’t know what to buy him. She knew she couldn’t question him about what he wanted because that would give it out. She was tired of exposing the gift she bought him for the past two years and determined this year would be different.

 

Almost as if it was Troy’s sixth sense he told Gabriella, “you know, to me it doesn’t matter what gift I get from you. You could get me a fish and I would still love it even if you think I don’t”

 

And that's when it hit her. Troy didn’t care about the type of gift Gabriella got him because he still loves her and almost anything she did.

 

“Your love could possibly be the best gift I could ever receive,” Troy told her as he hugged her from behind.

 

Gabriella knew the perfect gift to get him and she made sure tomorrow she would start buying the things needed to come with it. 

 

Once a day Gabriella went to PetCo and started to buy what she needed for the fish she was going to buy. She started with the fish tank and she had decided that it was going to be a big tank. The only problem would be hiding the large tank and carrying it into her house so she decided to use the excuse that her friend is moving out of her house and she was holding the tank for the meantime.

 

As the week goes on, she had bought colorful rocks, fake little plants, a filter, cute little homes for the fish, water filters, and fish food. There was about six more days till christmas and she knew that she needed to buy the fish soon. Eventually as the days went on, she filled the tank and hoped that the filter wouldn’t give out that she was giving Troy a fish. A few days before Christmas, Gabriella went back to PetCo and bought one tiny goldfish. As soon as she got home she was so excited to put it in the tank and hoped that it would like its new home.

 

Christmas day came up and it was finally time for Gabriella to reveal the gift she got her boyfriend. She brought Troy to the part of the living room where she was building the tank with the fish in it and revealed it to him.

 

The face Troy had was filled with confusion as he saw that the tank was empty. 

 

“Is there something in there? I mean this is a big tank and I don’t see anything in it?” He questioned 

 

Gabriella had him take a closer look and once he saw that there was a little goldfish in the tank he was once again left with confusion on why would his girlfriend get a really big tank for one little fish.

 

“We can always buy more and start a fish family,” Gabriella said happily.

 

Troy was very happy with the fish and how much work his girlfriend had put into it, but the only problem left now is how is he going to tell his girlfriend that he had adopted a cat as a gift for her. (1158)

 

December 12, 2019 21:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.