Contest #148 winner 🏆

Two Stubborn Women

Submitted into Contest #148 in response to: Write about two neighbors who cannot stand each other.... view prompt

125 comments

Contemporary Fiction Speculative

The night is thick and heavy with clouds when I paint the front of The House yellow. I paint quickly and quietly. I don’t want to wake my neighbor up. The brush goes shhh shhh against the wall and even that is loud. 

My feet crunch on gravel as I finish up and slip into my home. 

My neighbor’s cursing wakes me up in the morning. I hear fuck! and shit! I split the blinds with two fingers. The sun shines very bright and I squint to see my other neighbors file outside. They see the yellow paint and shake their heads. One of them points at my home. I come away from the window. Knock knock. I do not answer. I make myself toast with a poached egg. I eat it plain. Butter has a strange, slimy texture and most jams are too sweet for my taste. 

They pound on the door. The doorknob rattles in its socket before I hear silence on my front porch again. 

My neighbors assume I painted The House. They are right, but it’s still insulting that they point to me first.

Upon purchase, my new neighbor repainted The House beige before moving equally bland furniture (and herself) inside. I must fix it. She does not understand that each house claims life as we do. Their creaks are small sighs and groans, their breath the wind that flutters curtains when their mouths are unlocked. Each house is individual in personality. They have different mannerisms, likes and dislikes that can influence whoever its inhabitant might be at the time. Often, though, its influence is overruled by tenants that bustle about, creating their own noises that muffle their homes.  

I can hear them. I hear anger when doors slam shut, peace when furniture is aligned and floors are swept clean. Houses do not have control over their appearance, so I help them. I listen and give them a color true to their individuality. 

The House in question, which you could say is my current “client,” is bubbly, but prone to sickness and somewhat oblivious to the struggles of others. It loves its inhabitants—most of the time—and wishes to give them a cozy embrace. Most of all, The House is very particular about its appearance and becomes incensed when the smallest thing is not quite right. Right now, it is sulking. The little yellow I gave it placated it, but soon it will demand more.  

In the afternoon I hear the grrr grrr of trucks and metallic clanking and deep voices shouting. Big men in loose denim pants and ugly T-shirts paint The House back to beige. My neighbor comes onto her lawn to survey the men, pointing out the spots that need extra paint. The painters finish quickly, taking my neighbor’s cash and leaving extra paint cans and brushes and crinkled plastic tarps. 

The House strains against its new skin. It pummels its beige bonds with angry fists and wails It’s so ugly! The neighboring houses think it silly and childish, but they are too old to remember what it was like to be a child. I will The House to be patient. Its paint is still wet. 

The sun burns hot, then abruptly cools in the evening. Rain is predicted in the next few days, so the air hangs thick like soaked velvet. I shift from chair to chair, unable to settle. I need distraction, so a sandwich is readily made and quickly eaten. I flip through books before putting them down. I stack the books. I eat some mini-pretzels. I play a movie and turn the volume up loud. All is drowned out by The House’s pouts and whines. 

I doze fitfully and when I sleep, I dream of an infant pouring a dripping yellow sky onto little people that drown in thick sunflower puddles. 

The night I return to soothe The House, a small red eye blinks from the corner of its porch. A camera makes my job harder, but it is only one. My neighbor is either lazy, or thinks that its presence is enough to deter me. Either way, that is her mistake. I open my paint can and approach from an angle. I grab a handful of viscous yellow and smear it over the lens. The paint is cool and slippery, coating the lens completely while the excess puddles in the dirt below. After that, it is a simple matter to paint as much yellow as I can in the time that I have. I cannot fully free The House, but its grousing quiets and it settles more comfortably into its foundations.

There is more cursing in the morning and more banging against my door. This time, my neighbor screams through the door. She says open up or I’ll break the fucking door down. My own home is a demure thing sheathed in light brown. A broken door will cause it tremendous pain and that will not do.  

My neighbor’s hair is unbrushed and sticks out like fur. She wears a big t-shirt and no shoes. 

I wish she was wearing shoes. I think feet are so foreign. I forget I have feet until I look down and wonder how something so strange could be attached to me.  

I know it’s you, she says. 

I’m quiet. I’ll hear what she has to say.

My neighbor turns red. Say something, she says. You are the only person here who would paint my house yellow every fucking night. I moved here and I heard stories about you. You stare at all the houses and peek in the windows and you talk to yourself more than you talk to other people. 

My neighbor goes on and on. She is quite incensed. Spittle flies from her lips and she jerks her hands about to show just how angry she is.

She says, You’re free to do what you want, but Jesus Christ, you have to know you look absolutely fucking crazy. The house was one thing, the camera is just ridiculous. I could put in a report for vandalism! I could call the police! What are you gonna do, deny it? You stupid bitch, I should report you right—

I don’t deny it, I say. 

Her mouth gapes. In addition to a hot temper, she also has strange rules about what is right and what is wrong. The rules of her world apply to everyone. She straightens my trash bins on trash day to match her own. She quips often about the unique color of our shared fence, which is blue, though the blue is not on her side. 

I’m not bothered by it. My ambivalence (or apathy, in her mind) infuriates her. It’s amusing to see her realize that I won’t fight her, not in this way. 

She opens and closes her mouth and turns more red. Just stop painting my fucking house, she says. And then she hacks a glob of spit onto my porch and leaves. 

I see her painting over the yellow with rough strokes of beige paint. Her work is streaky and thick globs drip down the woodwork. It will harden and texture The House, which it will not like. More cameras go up too, one in the opposing corner of the front porch and and two more on the corner nearest to my home. 

At night, I cover my face and approach not from my home, but through the backyards of neighboring houses. I tell the houses hello and they breathe creaky whistles in return. Many of the houses in this neighborhood are like my own: plain, ordinary, normal. They do not require the same attention as The House. 

I use paint again to cover the cameras. My work is sloppier than previous nights and The House complains. I tell it that its tenant has made my work more difficult and this is the best that I can do. The House asks if it should do something to stop its tenant. I say no, that goes too far. I try to smooth out the streaky bits, apologize again, then come home.

My hands shake as I wash out my paintbrush and dry my hands. I suppose I’m nervous about my neighbor’s threat. I don’t fear the police or the possibility of arrest, but rather I fear that if I am taken away, The House will not be cared for. Who else can do what I do? Without me, The House will push against its bland exterior and cry and cry. Its caterwauling would also bother the other houses on the street, kind as they are. 

At night I dream again of a yellow paint sky, but this time I am drowning and the viscous liquid is rising and I cannot see through the lemon film that covers my eyes. I am enveloped and smothered in an inward explosion of death.   

I wake early. I sip tea and let the hot mug burn my hands crimson while I peer through the window. I stand there for an hour, maybe longer, until my tea has gone cold and I find myself shifting from foot to foot. I still when the door of The House opens and my neighbor steps out onto the porch. She sees the damage to the cameras and the return of the yellow paint. She stands there for a moment, then turns back inside. 

I turn away from the window. She has seen what I’ve done, yes, but what is to come of it? I go through the motions of my morning, washing my face, changing into day clothes and making a bowl of cereal. My ears hear The House’s moans and its companions’ whispers of encouragement, but no sirens. 

Clouds veil the sun as it dips and a gentle rain coats my neighborhood. An earthy, slightly bitter scent emanates from the lawns and swathes of asphalt. Petrichor: a phenomenon both clean and dirty, clinging and cleansing. The houses love it. They inhale and exhale, inhale and exhale.  

The rain calms me. I see no flashes of blue and red or the slap of heavy tires on wet asphalt. I don’t know why my neighbor failed to follow through on her threat. Maybe she forgot. Maybe she wants to keep me in suspense and prolong my anxiety. Maybe, far-fetched as it is, she hopes to continue this little feud because she loves a good fight. This will turn into a game, a competition between two stubborn women: one who refuses to admit fault, and one who will never stop. 

I will know tomorrow. 


June 02, 2022 02:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

125 comments

Hannah .
15:53 Jun 13, 2022

Impeccable story, it definitely seems like you will be a bestselling author on Reedsy. If this is your first story on Reedsy, I give you all my support. Keep on writing!

Reply

S.K. Wulf
03:19 Jun 14, 2022

thank you so much hannah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ibraheem Afzal
11:43 Jun 13, 2022

Fantastic stuff! The writing perfectly matches the character, both are very... plain? Plain isn't the best word, maybe logical. I haven't read your other work yet but this is just absolutely wonderful!

Reply

S.K. Wulf
03:19 Jun 14, 2022

the character is super weird and i had fun writing her, thank you ibraheem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sj Ross
09:49 Jun 13, 2022

Really enjoyed reading this and would love to see this one developed. Do say if you divide to do that as I would love to read this. With more backstory and character progression possible, I thoroughly enjoyed what you served up, it kept me reading the entirety rather than chunking through. Congratulations on the win. I particularly enjoyed being in the head of your main protagonist and being party to the internal dialogue, a beautiful way to introduce other characters.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
03:18 Jun 14, 2022

thank you sj!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Holland
07:19 Jun 13, 2022

Congratulations on your win. Intriguing approach, an enjoyable well written story.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
03:18 Jun 14, 2022

thank you chris!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
CJ Souza
03:13 Jun 13, 2022

Excellent! I felt like I was right in there in the story and I truly enjoy that! Great job. Congrats on the win! Keep going, I would love to read more!

Reply

S.K. Wulf
05:10 Jun 13, 2022

thank you cj!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Ann
04:37 Jun 12, 2022

I enjoyed the story and commend your creativity. I am not fond of profanity especially seeing Jesus name used in a derogatory manner.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Scott Harris
19:56 Jun 11, 2022

Brooding, unsettling and dark, with a dash of madness!

Reply

S.K. Wulf
23:11 Jun 11, 2022

thank you scott!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vladimir J.C.
12:08 Jun 11, 2022

Nice. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kendall Defoe
05:13 Jun 11, 2022

Well done!

Reply

S.K. Wulf
06:34 Jun 11, 2022

thank you kendall!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angela Creasy
04:49 Jun 11, 2022

I really enjoyed reading this story. I like how you painted the picture and allowed our imaginations to see the story as we read it. I pictured the house as a grumpy old man and it made me laugh every time you mentioned the house complaining!

Reply

S.K. Wulf
06:33 Jun 11, 2022

the house definitely is a character, i’m glad it made you laugh!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jose Gonzalez
02:04 Jun 11, 2022

You are good. I liked the story. You are a good writer. Keep up the good work and a deserved win.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
03:13 Jun 11, 2022

thank you Jose!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Naveen Haider
00:07 Jun 11, 2022

madness well done g

Reply

S.K. Wulf
03:14 Jun 11, 2022

thanks man

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:05 Jun 10, 2022

Wow this story stays with me in my mind. I was rooting for the house. Beige is such a yuck boring color. I don't understand why the neighbors are such boorish fools. Is this a metaphor type of story? The houses breathe like infants and have tantrums. So cool! Loved it. Glad you won.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
23:16 Jun 10, 2022

thank you kathryn! I wrote this story with the intention of it being literal, but it definitely is more metaphorical than i originally thought the neighbors are quite boring, i agree

Reply

20:04 Jun 11, 2022

Your stories are very good. I have written about 25 stories and am very discouraged. I am going to just read alot of stories and try to get an idea what the judges want. I edit and edit and spend 5 bucks for nothing. Maybe if I just step back and just read the stories I can't be disapponted so much.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
22:55 Jun 11, 2022

I don’t believe there’s a right or wrong way to write a story. I find that i write my best stories when i’m passionate about it rather than winning, a lot of times i write a story i want to write and then see if it fits a prompt/could be slightly changed to fit a prompt. don’t compare your stories to the winning ones, they’re all so different and it’s often damaging to keep reading them because you forget that you are just as worthy of a writer too!! don’t give up, it’s amazing that you’ve written 25 and i truly admire your commitment to ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
M. M.
18:08 Jun 16, 2022

I know the feeling about not knowing what the judges want in a story, it's difficult but originality is definitely important.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Timothy Cooper
20:41 Jul 07, 2022

Kathryn please, please don't be discouraged. When I 1st began writing editorials and poems I wasn't the greatest. Sum times practice makes perfect. Besides just because a story doesn't win in a contest doesn't mean it isn't a hit. Sum of America's favorite authors are not so popular or well-received in other countries. Likewise, just because one of ur stories might not win a Reedsy competition doesn't mean it wouldn't win sum other contest or maybe even become an international bestseller. U can't base the value of ur work off one solitary co...

Reply

05:05 Jul 08, 2022

thanks for your kindness. Lately, though, I can't seem to relate to these prompts. I can't come up with a single idea and the 1000 words for something you can't even warm up to is impossible. It has to be a prompt I can just start typing and build a story around. The past 3 prompts really suck. I don't like them at all. I will have to wait until I see one that makes me want to type.

Reply

Timothy Cooper
11:15 Jul 10, 2022

Inspiration is definitely important. Just don't give up and sell urself short. Write something every day even if it's just to vent for urself. I'm rooting for u!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
03:51 Jul 11, 2022

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
20:26 Jun 10, 2022

Piper! This story is so delightful! I had so much fun picturing the two women. You gave them both so much character. I also loved how you gave life to the houses ☺️ It was such a unique and wonderful idea! Good job and congratulations ❤️

Reply

S.K. Wulf
21:38 Jun 10, 2022

thank you hannah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brady Taylor
18:28 Jun 10, 2022

Congratulations! I loved your story- the connection the MC has with the houses was beautiful and very sad at the same time. A truly interesting character study, and beautifully written!

Reply

S.K. Wulf
21:37 Jun 10, 2022

thank you so much brady!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:02 Jun 10, 2022

Wow, well done! And your very first story on here- congratulations on the win! Such a great read!

Reply

S.K. Wulf
21:37 Jun 10, 2022

thank you so much kate!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anne Riley
17:07 Jun 10, 2022

What a fabulous story, Piper! I love how you weave in the houses' perspectives.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
21:35 Jun 10, 2022

thank you anne!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pamela Saunders
16:58 Jun 10, 2022

Wow, I think "maybe" the neighbour has given up and resigned herself to the yellow house. I loved the atmospheric writing, and the adjectives you used are perfect.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
21:34 Jun 10, 2022

thank you pamela!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Timothy Cooper
20:44 Jul 07, 2022

As angry as that neighbor was, I doubt she just gave up and resigned herself to yellow (or at least I hope she didn't!) But it sure is interesting to ponder what plan she DID possibly come up with next....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
16:39 Jun 10, 2022

A well deserved win, Piper. This story was charming and unsettling at the same time. I'd even argue there's an element of comedy to it - it just made me laugh at how persistent the narrator is! I loved how the neighbour had no reaction at the end, like she was just done with it all and decided to give up. Such a fun read. Congratulations. :)

Reply

S.K. Wulf
21:34 Jun 10, 2022

thank you shuvayon! the narrator is an...interesting person to say the least, i'm glad she made you laugh

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michele Duess
16:35 Jun 10, 2022

Now I want to hear what happens next. Why didn't the neighbor call the police? Or will she? And why is it THIS particular house, none of the others? It would great to expand on this. Does she have history with that house, for example? Congrats.

Reply

S.K. Wulf
21:33 Jun 10, 2022

those are exactly the questions that I wanted you to leave with, I'm very happy that it left you wanting more. thank you for commenting michele!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.