IF ONLY I CHOSE BETTER

Submitted into Contest #95 in response to: Start your story with someone being presented with a dilemma.... view prompt

19 comments

Fiction Sad

Kelvin Baron had everything anyone could want in life. He had the money, a loving family and loyal friends. He grew up in privilege therefore he had nothing to complain about. He went to the best schools both in high school and college. He basically had everything he asked for handed to him.

However he was not happy. His dream was to become a doctor. He always wanted to help people hence the choice of career. He did not get to do what he wanted, because his father wanted him to study business. His father was one of the richest people globally. He owned a tech company with branches all around the world.

Mr. Baron always wanted his son to take over the company when he retired. He encouraged him to study business administration in college. He never stopped to asked whether that was what his son wanted. Since Kelvin always wanted to make his father happy, he agreed to do a career he never had an interest in.

He had been the golden boy even during his high school days which went on even in college. He was among the most popular people in school. There, he met a girl one day at a party. One look at her and he was ready to do her bidding. He had expected that she would be flaunting all over him for attention but he thought wrong.

She took one look at him and never turned back. He was intrigued by her behavior and decided to accept her challenge. He would stop at nothing till he got to know her or at least befriend her. He approached her at the bar and tried talking to her.

"Hey, beautiful, did it hurt when you fell from heaven," he asks with a smug look on his face.

The young beautiful girl looked him up from top to bottom and rolled her eyes. 'Of course it's the jerk, what does he want now' she thought to herself.

"Is that all you got coz I've heard those lines a million times before," she replies without even looking at him.

Her barks out a laughter with his head falling back and his shoulders shaking. She had to admit to herself that he had quite the looks. He was the definition of a Greek god. She had seen him around school with the popular jocks but never got a chance to talk to him. She asked herself what he wanted from her. I mean from all the beautiful dolled up girls in the club who would fall at his feet at the snap of his finger, why did he choose her.

"Kelvin, Kelvin Baron," he says looking at her blue mesmerizing eyes. They were the colour of the ocean. He then stretches his arm out in front of her.

"What ?" She asks looking confusedly at his outstretched hand.

"My name, it's' Kelvin Baron," he smirks at her lack of concentration.

"Charlotte, but my friends call me Charlie," she replies taking his outstretched hand into a handshake.

He looked at her his mind memorizing her features. He admitted to herself that she was quite a beauty. She had the figure in all the right places. Her hands appeared small in his large ones and they were so soft. She dropped her hand to her side and finished her drink and headed out of the bar without another word.

He was left looking at the door where she'd left from thinking to himself that such beauties we're not rarely found. He continued partying with his friends but his mind was on the girl he just met. He made it his mission to make her love him or at least get to know him.

Charlie headed home after the party. She knew it was rude to leave the party the way she had but she had a lot on her mind. The handsome Greek god she had met earlier was on her mind. She however decided to forget him, I mean they would never meet again and if they did, he would not remember her. He changed girls like clothes and he never dated.

Kelvin continued pursuing the young girl despite her disapproval. She was quite surprised when he found her at school that week. She had thought that he forgot her the moment she left the bar.

He took her for lunch and coffee in the cafe around school and they had a good talk. She felt bad for judging him from his appearance at school but he had quite the reputation with girls. She got to know the part of him that was not a jerk. She was surprised to learn that he wanted to study medicine. His green eyes would light up whenever he talked about it that she saw how passionate he was about it. He appeared to be a jerk but he was a big softie.

Their friendship blossomed with time and he would drop her at her classes and pick her up to spend time at her house or outside.

He learned that she studied to become a chef and her dream was to open her own restaurant. He had waited to taste her meals since she seemed like she would be good at her job.

He asked her out on a date and he was afraid that she would say no to him. She was like no other girl he had been with. He therefore tried not to keep his hopes up but he hoped that she would say yes. He was above the clouds when she agreed to go out with him. He liked her alot and he wanted to state his claim on her before someone else did. They went out on many dates after that and they decided to take their relationship to another level.

He asked he to be his girlfriend to which she agreed. They were the dream couple around school. He introduced her to his friends and they loved her immediately. I meant what was there not to love about her. Just her smile would send you in a daze. They were in their final year and had final exams around the corner. They did not meet much during that period but the exams were over in a weeks time.

Charlie could not wait to start her dream of becoming a chef. She had been working since back in high school to save up for the restaurant. She had enough to start up a small one and that is what she did after they graduated. Kelvin helped her look for places to open one. They moved around for weeks but they finally found a place on sale. It was a good venue with businesses surrounding it.

Kelvin had called home saying that he would stay around Michigan for a while before heading back home. His father did not like the idea but agreed whatsoever. He helped her buy the necessary requirements for the restaurant.They them employed contractors to renovate the place. Charlie could not be happier with both her restaurant and relationship. Kelvin visited her place. He received one phone call and after that, he changed his entire physique. She tried asking what the problem was but he brushed it off as nothing. The renovation was complete and there was going to be an opening party with friends and customers.

During the opening party, Charlie was busy with serving food and drinks to the people but she could tell that something was not right with Kelvin. He later looked for Charlie and proposed to her. She was a bit surprised and shocked but she said yes. Everyone congratulated them and Charlie was never that happy.

The party was over later in the evening and Charlie cleaned up with the help of a few friends and her boyfriend. She had to employ someone to help but that would wait. They headed home that night and shared a night of passion. Charlie was so happy with how thing we're going. She could not stop admiring the diamond stone on her finger. That was why she decided to trust him completely and give him all of her.

She however did not expect thing to turn out the way they did when she woke up the next morning. She woke up to an empty bed and all sorts of thoughts run through her mind. Kelvin was no where to be found. She tried to be optimistic that maybe he went out for a run or to get breakfast but she could not stop the nagging feeling in the back of her mind that Kelvin was gone.

Charlie's heart was broken when Kelvin never showed up that day. She tried calling him or his friends but no one knew where he went. Days turned into months and life went on. Charlie's however was miserable. A month after he left, she learned that she was pregnant. She always expected him to show up and explain what happened but that hope was fading away as time went by. She could not start even hearing his name. She had removed that ring and kept it away not wanting to remember how he had broken her heart and taken her virginity.

On one fateful morning Charlie decided to stay home and rest. Her pregnancy was progressing and her due date was fast approaching. She could not wait to hold her baby in her arms and welcome them into the world. The only reminder of him. She switched on the TV and some show was bringing up an interview with a billionaire. She left the TV on and went to get some snacks since she was always hungry. The snacks dropped out of her hand as she watched the one man that she loved on TV with a beautiful lady hanging by his side.

Tears run down her face as she watched how he smiled at the beautiful lady besides him with adoration and love. She had to sit down since her legs were giving out. He had a fiance now after he left and was the CEO of his father's new company. She turned the TV off and headed to the bedroom. She cried herself to sleep holding the only person who would love her unconditionally. Her baby who was yet to be born.

Everyone watching the interview would think that Kelvin loved the blond in his arms. He had been forced to marry her so that their business could merge. Her father was a very successful man. Kelvin however was in love with Charlie and was hoping to marry her one day. He knew that she would be heartbroken with how he left her. He knew that she would never forgive him but it had to be done. He had to choose between Charlie or his family, and he choose the latter only to realize how foolish he had been. It was too late to change things now, she would never take him back.



May 22, 2021 19:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Monica June
03:46 May 23, 2021

Your descriptions are really nice, and I love your simple and easy to follow plot. You have a lot of raw talent, you just need a little fixing up on your grammar and things. That being said, get ready for a HECK ton of edits because I'm very annoying xD “He grew up in priviledge.” It’s spelled privilege “He however was not happy.” Maybe change to “However, he was not happy” or “he, however, was not happy”. “He always wanted to help people therefore the choice of career.” That might make a little more sense as “He always wanted to he...

Reply

Irene Gitau
19:53 May 25, 2021

Monica June thank you so much. You were very helpful in the grammar and I made sure to correct all of it. It actually makes sense now

Reply

Monica June
20:10 May 25, 2021

Awesome, haha! I'm so glad I could help

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charli Britton
02:19 May 23, 2021

I hate when parents make decisions for their kids. It's so very annoying. nice Job on your story though!

Reply

Irene Gitau
19:33 May 25, 2021

Charli Britton I know its right kids should have a chance to make certain decisions on their own. Thanks for the input

Reply

Charli Britton
19:57 May 25, 2021

of course

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cole Lane
22:10 May 22, 2021

I think Kelvin has some heavy child support payments about to come his way! ;) This was a 'sort of' tragic love story, maybe there is a chance these two will meet again, I'm assuming he will eventually learn about having a child, and then another whole story could be written from that?

Reply

Irene Gitau
19:36 May 25, 2021

Cole lane, yeah its kinda a whole different story. It could be one thought if I made my ending to make Charlie keep the baby a secret till forever. Then Kelvin leave his family and follow his true love

Reply

Cole Lane
03:17 May 26, 2021

I think they should meet again. It would be cool if Charlie had opened several restaurants and was becoming a success. She has no intention of bringing Kelvin into her life again or mentioning the baby, but he finds out. :) Is he mad? Is he happy? Is this a reason to make contact again? :D Is the new wife going to make life miserable for Charlie?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
23:52 May 22, 2021

Hi Irene, I really enjoyed reading this story. You did a fantastic job writing it. From beginning to end this story flowed really well. I can't wait to see what you come up with next! :)

Reply

Irene Gitau
19:38 May 25, 2021

Daniel Hayes,, really I was so tired when I wrote the story. Thank you for the input. More is coming

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
20:46 May 25, 2021

You're welcome, can't wait to read more :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
15:57 Jun 02, 2021

That ended sad. It's a shame Kelvin choose his career over Charlie. But it was still good! A little too much telling, not showing but other than that, great job! I often have trouble focusing on long paragraphs, but you kept my attention all through it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Luke Morgan
15:14 May 31, 2021

Interesting style of narration. It sometimes feels like I'm reading the narrator, and then sometimes I'm reading you. Does that make sense? I feel you need to decide on a narrative voice, be it you or someone within the world of the characters. I won't comment on some grammar points, as I've seen that Monica has done it already. I feel like there's a bigger story here, and you've had to condense it down to fit this website, which isn't a bad thing! It's always good to have more story to tell, instead of trying to stretch out something that r...

Reply

Irene Gitau
15:14 Jun 01, 2021

Thank you for pointing that out. I'll look at the narrative and yes the story was bigger than I wrote it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shaquita B.
11:24 May 26, 2021

Great story! I’d say definitely proofread as grammatical errors can distract from a great story.

Reply

Irene Gitau
15:14 Jun 01, 2021

I sure will, thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
16:02 Jun 12, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Irene Gitau
18:25 Jul 02, 2021

That's quite a nice suggestion. I'll modify it soon

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.