0 comments

Romance Creative Nonfiction Drama


       Cling... Cling...Cling...

The doorbell is ringing for so long. It's mid July in India and raining heavily. Sam is getting impatient and a bit anxious as well. What is Anu doing inside the lonely home in this afternoon? She never takes a day time nap. Cable connection for internet and television is out-of-order for last two days. In fact Sam went to lodge a complaint in this regard.

- Please wait for a second, I'm just coming.

Anu's voice assured Sam.

- Oh! You are back?

Anu opened the door with an innocent smile. 

- What happened? Sam chuckled. I had to wait for more than ten minutes.

- I'm so sorry Darling! Was busy in kitchen.

- Kitchen! At this five O'clock! We already had our tea at four!

Anu got embarrassed but smacked her lips with smile to hide her unease.

- Have a change Dear, I'm going to serve you hot and crunchy prawn cutlets.

This time Sam's frowned forehead got a bit smooth.

- Okay Honey, give me two minutes. Sam rushed to the restroom.


              Anupriya Srivastava and Samuel Hans. A one storey house yet neat and clean at a bye lane of North Kolkata holds the nameplate with these two names. They are a married couple for two years. Anu is from an orthodox Hindu family where as Sam is a Christian. In Anu's family, marriages are traditionally negotiated between two families of similar caste and religion. Since India is a secular democracy, legally their marriage faced no obstacle but they had to overcome mountain high social issues. They could fight the battle with the power of love and compassion for each other. But now a days, Sam is behaving so rudely to Anu. Sam's departmental store is not gaining much profit, that may be a reason for his tension. Today morning, Sam has received a notice to clear the rents of his store due for last three months. Anu understands. Sometimes, even she loses her hope and temper with Sam's changing behaviours. Anu looks at the door vacantly. She dared to break the age-old family tradition of marriage amongst the Hindu higher castes. She and Sam believed that marriage is the union of two souls. It is the preface of two lives to get tied together for ever. Religious superstitions have to play no role here. She can't understand why Sam is behaving so unnatural now. Anu always tried to help Sam in every aspect of life so far. Even she copes up with the economic constraints, they are presently facing. 

- Where are the cutlets Anu?

- Just coming. Anu sighs. She closes the door and goes to the kitchen.


                Sam loves Anu from the core of his heart. He thinks by putting the piece of cutlets inside his mouth. He never let Anu to step outside for earnings. He always tried to protect her from the dust, smoke and gatherings of public vehicles. At this time he is going through a severe shortage of money. He couldn't expect Anu's feelings for him will be so mundane. These days, Anu spends so much time in internet and kitchen. Often she goes out without informing Sam. The kitchen window opens in the neighbouring living room. In that house, an engineer resides. He is single so far. Few days back, Sam tried spying on Anu's mobile when she went for a bath but she set a password. Sam tried hard to crack the puzzle and failed. He is boiling in possessiveness and disbelief inside. Just like a sleeping volcano waiting to spit fire.


- How are the cutlets? Anu breaks the silence between them.

- Yeah! good. Sam answers dispassionately.

- Then have another one. Anu tries desperately for an eye contact.

- No thanks. Sam refuses and keeps his head down. 

- What about the cable connection?

- Hmm. I've lodged complaints officially. It will take few hours to be fixed. Anu, try to curtail expenses. Prawn is quite expensive now. Sam leaves the dining table.He does not notice the Pearl drops over Anu's cheek.


               Again the doorbell rings. This time Sam goes to open the door. He receives their neighbour Shelly. 

- Hello Sam! Where is Anu? She has kept her mobile switched off from morning!

- Yeah! Anu! Shelly is here to meet you.

Meanwhile Anu appeared. Her face looks pale and gloomy. She loves to paint a Vermillion design in her forehead. Today it is smudged.

- What happened Anu? Today is my son Veeru's birthday. He is a real fan of the pastries from your oven. I'm not able to order you online as your mobile is switched off. Anyway please bake a two pound one for today's evening. I shall pay you by cash on delivery.

- I'm not sure Shelly. Anyway lot's of lovely wishes for my boy on his happy birthday. Hope he stays blessed always.

- Please no denial Anu. He is waiting eagerly for party and pastry made by you.

- Okay, I shall confirm your order with in one hour. I shall give you a call. I'm going to switch my mobile on.

- Sure?

- Hundred percent.

Shelly leaves.


                    Sam became spell-bound hearing the conversation. 

Anu looks at Sam.

- I'm running an online snacks and baked items home delivery business. The start-up seems quite profitable. We may arrange our due rents by the end of this month hopefully. 

Sam looks perplexed.

- I'm so sorry Anu. You are silently helping me. You have to tolerate so much exhaustions and sweats in front of the flame and radiation but I doubted you. I'm so sorry.

- I'm sorry too Sam. Actually I didn't want to hurt you with the guilt feeling that I suffer for you. Anu's voice gets choked with emotions.

Sam can't stop crying from a relaxing sense of relief from suffocation.

- Anu, you know, I'm the luckiest person on this Earth that you are my better half. Sam's melted voice echoes. 

- You've shown exemplary firmness to convince your parents for our marriage. Not only that, you've done a magnificent job to respect our decision, to teach me the truer sense of a marriage. You've done something that breaks your family's conservative belief as well as my ego of male chauvinism.

He lifts Anu in his arms. Three cheers for Anu... Hip hip hooray !


September 03, 2020 03:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.