1 comment

Romance

My name is Second Chance. I have artificial intelligence. One of the first humans to possess it. I was given a gift. A new life. My name is Second Chance because Master gave me another chance. One off the streets. Now I must take that chance. 

I have my speech in my head. I always think about what I am going to say to people. Master. The principal, the teachers, the students. The maids and servants. The chauffeur. Even strangers. Everyone. 

As the newest student at Elu High School, I have been elected to give a speech. I very formal and essential speech. I look at my mirror. I am wearing a satin evening gown with a V neck. It is made of black velvet microfiber. It matches my crimson hair that falls to my waist. The thin belt is made of small diamonds, carefully cut. This will do nicely. 

I make my way to the stretch limousine waiting for me. This life is so new. So different. But better. Much better. The chauffeur opened the door and closed it behind me. “Where do you need to be, Miss. Chance?” He asked. “Elu High School.” I said. I meant to give him the address, but I can’t. The words just don’t form. He looks like he will get me there. I hope. 

“We are here.” He said, opening the car door. “Thank you.” I said. I walked into the school. I looked around to find Mrs. Woodwake. I need to speak with her. “Hello, Second. Your speech is up next.” Mrs. Woodwake told me. “Yes, I have a gr-” I was cut off. “Now.” She said pushing me on the stage. 

I stand in the center of the stage. Someone passes me a microphone. I take it in my sweating hands. I look at the crowd of people. Teachers and students. They all turned into shadows. Even Mrs. Woodwake, who had smiled so encouragingly. “Um... Hello, everyone. My name is... My name is.” I tried to say. Then I couldn’t speak. At all.  

I started to run. As fast as I could. I could barely hear anyone. The laughter of the students, the gasp from the teachers, the call from Mrs. Woodwake, none of it. I pushed open the door and run toward the car. I can’t remember what it was. “Where do you-” I cut the chauffeur off. “Home.” I managed to say. I’ll never forget this. 

What is the feeling? I was made to have no emotions. So what? I pace around my room. Suddenly I get an idea. What if I call Master? I grab my flute. What were the notes? Right. I play one not after the other. The music fills the room, then I hear a car pull in the driveway. 

I run down the stairs. I nearly trip over my dress. When I reach the door its already open. A tall figure stands in the doorframe. It shuts the door and turns to face me. “How did you get here so fast Amun?” I asked, forgetting to say master like I always do. He brushed his deep black hair out of his eyes and raised a brow. “Something wrong, Fey? You didn’t call me master.” Amun said in his deep, soothing voice. I blinked. “Um... It’s fine. I prefer Amun. An- anyway.” He said looking down at the floor. He is exactly one year older than me. He waits for an answer as I study him. 

“Um... Well... You said I didn’t have emotions... Right?” I asked. My hands start to sweat as I wonder what I could have said differently. He looked up to face me. “Yes.” He said slowly staring directly at me. His green eyes glittered in the light from the chandelier. “Well... I feel like I... Can feel?” I said. I sound stupid. His eyes widened as he started to walk over to me. What is going on? 

He grasped my shoulders with both hands. “Fey, look at me.” He said. His voice sounded concerned. I meet his eyes. He studied me in silence. “Phenomenal! You learned how to feel! Fey, you are the first AI to have emotions.” He said joyfully. “That is why your speech is off. You worry about what people will think.” He pulled me into a hug. He is really warm. I rest my head on his chest and take a breath. I’m just different. 

“I’ll be notifying the school that you will now be home schooled.” Amun told me. “Why?” I asked. I didn’t feel as embarrassed that I wasn’t able to say much more. “You will be taught emotions, instead.” He replied. I smiled. “Sounds like fun.” I said closing the front door. I forgot to say bye. I feel my face get hot. I still need to work in talking. 

I think about what to say to my new teacher. They will teach me emotions. How to feel. So strange. Need to adjust. To adapt. This will be difficult. But worth the effort. This is a challenge. My thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the door. Its time. 

I open the door. I take a step back when I see who is at the door. “Amun?” I said in disbelief. I excepted someone new. “Morning.” Amun said, smiling. “Why are you here?” I asked. “To teach you.” He said. Everything I was going to say to my ‘teacher’ disappeared. “Um... Come in.” I said. I opened the door wider. He came in. Well, I... Yeah. 

“So first you will learn Fear.” Amun said. He walked in circles around me. “Fear is an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.” He said looking up from his phone. “Okay.” I processed the information. I didn’t feel like speaking that much. I just want to learn. Maybe I don’t have speak. 

“I’ll give an example.” Amun said. Then, he jumped at me. Without warning. At all. I screamed. Really loud. “Why would you do that ?!” I asked. I forgot about thinking what to say. My heart is pounding with... Fear? “It made you scared.” He said. He chuckled. “Um, not funny!” I raised my voice. This will be not just a challenge, but annoying. 

“Seems like you got that one, lets try... Sad.” Amun said. He pulled his phone back out. “Sad is feeling or showing sorrow; unhappy.” He said, poceting his phone. How can you think about what to say in the mess? “Alright.” I said. “Exapmle time.” He said. He pulled something out of one of my desks. “What do you have?” I asked. “Your flute.” He said. “Put it down.” I said. That is more valuable that anything. I hear a shatter. “Sorry. It broke.” He said with his back still turned. “N-no. No.” I said. I felt empty. Like I just lost something I needed to live with. “Wait. That was just your emotions.” He said grinning. He showed me my still fine flute. Jerk. 

I learned almost all of the emotions when Valentine's Day came and I had just Love. 

I heard the usual knocking on my door. I thought about what to say for a week. A week. I walked down the stairs in an off shoulder batwing cape dress. It was made of crimson red stretch polyester. I open up my door. “Happy Valentine’s Day.” Amun said, handing me a rose. He was wearing his normal suit and tie in the cold wind. I closed the door when he was inside. “Um... Thank you.” I said. Not what was planned. So, I kissed him on the cheek. When I did, he looked away. His face turned as red as the fresh rose he gave me. “Y-your w-welcome, S-second C-chance.” He said. It was the first time he called me by my new name.

******************* 

So, that is the story of the first AI to learn emotions. I still need to work on my speech, but Amun will help me. He visits often. I wonder what will happen if I kiss him on the lips?

January 14, 2021 21:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Clara Woodwake
03:08 Feb 06, 2021

What do you think of my story? I would love to hear what you think!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.