26 comments

Kids Sad Inspirational

This story contains sensitive content

TW: Grief and mourning


Hoofbeats thunder across the dark plains of the sky. The clouds toss, revealing the white of the moon’s eye, rolled back in fright. I crane my head out of the window but my hair is flying wildly about my face and I can see little, only the deepest dark. It’s been waiting for me: banished by the city lights, the votive candles I burn, but gathering here: an army of shadows, massing, ready for the assault. 


Somewhere, in this impenetrable uproar, is our new house; it’s somewhere close, as the car tyres churn on gravel, the engine falters and we come to a resigned halt. As the headlamps blink, blinded by the glare of night, I search for the building I will have to call home from now on.


Mum makes a break from the sanctuary of the car, dashing towards the grey of the front door. She fumbles for the keys, struggling to find the one from the unfamiliar bunch that fits the lock, then gives a small whoop of triumph as the door swings open. I’m still slunk down in my seat when she turns in the doorway. 


“Come on love,” she calls out, “you can’t spend the night in the car.” 


I consider answering, why not? At least here are some familiar things: the old air freshener, still dangling from the mirror; the half-eaten roll of mints and the cds we used to listen to on family outings, driving out for picnics in the woods- relics from another time.


“Lauren, please,” she tries, “don’t make this harder than it already is.” 


As if anything I do will make it any easier, any harder, anything other than what it is: out of control, a slow spiral, down and down that rabbit hole of endless darkness. My finger presses the button and the seatbelt slithers off me: go. I watch my other hand reach to undo the car door, legs stepping out into the frigid air. Then I hear it again, that drumming and Phantom flashes into my mind: my cheek against his, warm breath of hay and the impossible softness of his muzzle, nudging my hands, hoping for one of the mints I always bring him. 


“Phantom?” I whisper into the wind, but I know it can’t be him: he’s miles away, in the stables I left behind when life bucked, sending me face first into the dirt. I’m scanning the sky from side to side when I feel Mum’s arm around my waist, guiding me towards the waiting house.


“The first steps are the hardest love. We’re like babies, learning to walk; but soon we’ll run Lauren, I just know it. You know he would have wanted that.” I see defiance in her eyes and I haven’t the heart to do anything but nod, even though all I want is to flee to the car, gun the motor and career back home to the tree where we scattered Dad’s ashes, barely three months ago. 


“Shall I get the bags out of the boot?” I ask, keen to escape and hide.


“Let’s leave them for now. Come on, I’ll give you the grand tour of our new home: The Aerie.”


“Ok, that’s a bit of an odd name for a cottage.” I peer up at the gable, half expecting an eagle to come swooping down and Mum laughs for the first time. 


“Your imagination Lauren! I’m sure it’s just a quaint name.”


“What’s wrong with Rose Cottage?” I ask, following her into the gloom where she strikes a match and an oil lamp flickers to life. Mum puts on the glass cover and the flame brightens. “Don’t tell me there’s no electricity!” 


“I’m sure it won’t take long to get connected,” Mum seems determined to look on the bright side and I watch her in confused silence as she lights a second lamp for me; this seems to be as close to running away from reality as it’s possible to get. Does Mum really think our grief won’t find us here, just because she’s taken us to the middle of nowhere? She seems to read my mind, handing me the heavy lamp. 


“Trust me love. When I was your age my parents brought me here after my Granny died. There’s something about this place: the wind racing across the heath, the views for miles, and the villagers just as open as the land. It did me good back then; I’m sure it will do the same again for both of us now.”


“But not to live.” I manage to squeak like the old floorboards creaking with age under my feet. “You probably only stayed for a week!”


“Well the whole summer. But listen Lauren, this doesn’t have to be forever. The lease I signed is for three months, if we don’t like it, if you don’t like it,” she emphasises with her hand on my forearm, “then we’ll head back to the big smoke of the city, no questions asked.”


I give a nod, there seems little point in scuppering Mum’s well-laid plans. 


“Come on, let’s explore.” 


The cottage turns out to be small, but not as tiny as I thought it might be. It’s a place of low ceilings and crumbling plasterwork where darkness seems to seep and creep from every pore of the place: up from huge cracks in the floorboards, down from rafters and out from every corner. 


“I thought this could be yours,” says Mum, pushing open a yellow wooden door and letting me go in first. The light from my lamp seems to leap ahead, forcing back the shadows as I turn and take in the pretty bedspread, the pastel colours picked up in the rug and the curtains. I cross to them and open them wide, revealing a window seat full of plump cushions. 


“Did you do all this?” I ask in surprise; I had expected the cottage to be decorated only in cobwebs. 


“It came fully furnished.” Mum says simply. “How lucky is that! Now you get some sleep, that was quite some drive. I’ll be just down the hall if you need me, my room’s next to yours. And in the morning, we’ll explore some more.” She gives me a quick kiss on my hair and then she’s gone. 


I cross to the window seat and sink down, pressing my face against the lead-paned glass, droplets of condensation trickling down my cheek. It feels like the cottage is weeping with me, my new loss mixing with its old woe, one that I know nothing about. Perhaps there is ivy growing on the facade and a tendril has been worked loose by the wind, for I hear a steady beating on the glass. I can’t imagine sleeping, but as the rhythmic sound continues my eyes close and Phantom gallops into my dreams. I fling my arms around his neck, run alongside and then leap till I am on his back and we are off, flying free with the wind. 


When I wake it is to the sun streaming in through the glass, warm on my face. I rub my sleeve across the pane, mopping up the moisture, eager to finally see the view. There are a sprinkling of thatched cottages all along the lane, which I can see snaking past our house and heading off towards the horizon, but otherwise heathland stretches as far as the eye can see; there are gorse bushes buffeted by the wind and a lone bird soars high above.


I can hear the sounds of water running and china being placed on a table and my stomach growls as the welcome smell of toast and coffee filters up from the kitchen below. Despite having slept in a draught, I feel well rested and make my way eagerly down to Mum. 


“Morning love, that wind didn’t keep you up did it?” She asks, tipping toast onto a plate and motioning me to take a seat. 


“Slept like a log. Where did you get all this?” I gesture to the orange juice she’s opening and the bowl of apples on the table. “It looks like there wouldn’t be a shop for miles around.”


“Yes, we are a bit cut off aren’t we. Luckily I brought this with me; I offloaded while you had a bit of a lie in.” I look over at the bags and boxes heaped by the front door and feel a bit guilty about resting while Mum was working hard. 


We breakfast while she talks about trying to find a supermarket or just a local grocery store, when a resounding knock on the door sends us both leaping to our feet. Mum cautiously opens it and a stout woman with ruddy cheeks and mud-caked wellington boots is standing on the doorstep, a basket across her arm. 


“Mrs. Springdale, Betsy Springdale,” she says with a grin which reveals a higgledy-piggledy mix of teeth. “I saw you pull in last night and thought you must be the new tenants when you didn’t come a-knocking to ask for directions. Found your way rather than lost it, I thought to myself; and here you are, all settled in and my breakfast will have to serve for lunch, I see.”


Nestled in the basket she holds out: a loaf of bread, still steaming slightly from within its cloth cocoon, ten speckled eggs with a few feathers tucked about them and a bunch of carrots which look like she’s just dug them up- green tops and crumbling earth still clinging to them. 


“Oh Mrs. Springdale, we couldn’t possibly accept…” Mum starts to remonstrate. 

“Betsy,” she says warmly, “Betsy, my dear. And of course you must. It’s Sunday and our local grocer, Greggs, is closed today. You can’t eat just a few slices of toast on the Sabbath day- not in these parts anyways!”


She bustles into the kitchen after tugging off her boots and leaving them on the doorstep as if this was also quite the norm in these parts- making yourself at home. Placing the basket on the table, she suddenly puts two fingers in her mouth and gives a piercing whistle; I expect to see a dog come bounding in but am even more taken aback to see a skinny boy, about my age, with a jumble of teeth to match his mothers’ peer round the front door. At first I think he might be shy, half-hiding behind the frame, but then I glimpse a mischievous glint in his eyes.


“Ent ya coming out then? My Ma can talk the hind legs off a donkey; you best be careful!” 


“Cheeky sod,” says Betsy Springdale, full of affection, “but there’s truth there, perhaps! Off you go child and play; you don’t want to be keeping your Ma and me company when the whole world is a-waiting for you.” 


The boy, bending like a reed round the door frame, doesn’t exactly look like the whole world come knocking, but the thrill of the new seems to reach in and pull me with both hands. 


“Go on Lauren,” says Mum, clearly delighted, “ go out and play. It will do you the world of good!”


I make my way over and with a triumphant “Ha!” he bounds off and is gone. Standing in the entrance, I strain for a glimpse of him- he can’t be far- when I see his back dashing into a stone building I’d recognise anywhere with the top half of the wooden door hooked back and the other swinging wide: a stable. My heart is in my mouth as I stride over. The noise last night, drumming me off to sleep; could there really be a horse right here, waiting for me? All thought of exile, banished to a remote hermitage, alone with grief, seems to take flight; I feel like I could take the reins once more if this would be granted to me. But the stable is musty, bare flagstones with not a wisp of straw in sight; hanging from the wall, the hay net is empty and the water trough dry. From the look and smell of the place, there’s been no horse here for years. 


My eyes adjust to the gloom and I make out Betsy’s son, perched like a bat atop an internal wall. He must see disappointment clouding my face, as he calls out. 


“Been no horse here for many a year. Sad story, if you want to hear it.”


I’ve had more than my fair share of sad stories of late, but still I nod. 


“Long ago, before I was born so we’re talking twelve years easy, the family who lived here had a daughter, same age probably as you are now. Horse mad she was, and she fell in love with a wild ‘un which used to come roaming. Her parents warned her off, that horse wasn’t made to bear a rider; like the spirit of the heath made flesh it was, galloped like the very wind was lifting its hooves.” I listen spellbound, flashes of Phantom streaking through my mind.


“Well the horse didn’t keep away and the girl was drawn like a moth. It was just waiting to happen, I suppose.”


“What?” I hardly dare ask. “What happened to her?”


“Well she tried to ride him, didn’t she. Dead of night it was, parents asleep and even the moon looking the other way. Accident waiting to happen they said later. Well hindsight is a good thing, isn’t it.”


“She didn’t die, did she?” 


“Paralysed. And there was no way she could be cared for in this old cottage.” He gestures to the ramshackled place we’ve just moved into and my heart plummets like a stone. “Parents took her away, heartbroken, and The Aerie’s been like an abandoned nest ever since.”


“The horse?” 


“Never seen again,” he jumps down and heads outside, bolting the stable door before turning to me with a wildness in his eyes that makes me start. “ But them that says it’s a myth, made-up, or a phantom horse in a ghostly tale, them be the ones that know the least of it.” 


He leans in. “I hear that horse, not every night, but when the wind blows fit to burst and the whole heath groans, you’d be mad to say you don’t hear the hooves, galloping, galloping. It’s looking for that girl, I say, waiting to make amends.” 


I want to say a horse can’t make amends, but the words don't form; even as I think them they die on my tongue and I find myself nodding. We turn back to the house and he catches my eye almost shyly. 


“Tom Springdale,” he says, finally introducing himself, “and do you want to know something, Lauren?” He doesn’t wait for an answer. “I often think of that girl, and I know what she felt when that horse sought her out.” He leans in further, as if we were conspiring. “Who doesn’t, just the once, want to feel free like the very wind?”


His words come back to me that night as I lie in the windowseat once more and will the tap tapping to start: the horse’s herald; but all is quiet, like the very night has lain down, fast asleep. So much can change in a day: the cottage which had seemed so lonely had sung with the boisterous noise of Betsy, cracking eggs to fry in the skillet and Tom coaxing a fire to burn in the hearth, pungent wood smoke filling the cosy space, flickering lights chasing the darkness into the corners- nearly away. When we’d waved them off, I saw Mum’s flushed face and felt a smile inside even before I felt it on my lips. There’s a sad story behind The Aerie, but although ours isn’t the happiest tale ever told either, perhaps this next chapter might be a brighter one. Thinking this, I fall asleep.


I hear a whinny on the wind, like a summons, and wake with a start. The drumming is there, louder than last night, like hooves pounding right outside. In a few hammering heartbeats I am downstairs, pyjamas flapping in the wind as I fling the door wide. And there he is, just as I knew he would be: the wild one, regarding me with his midnight eyes. In the light of the full moon his black coat glistens. He is muscle, sinew, strength and I long to stroke him, but hardly dare. As if reading my mind, he tosses his head impatiently and paws the ground with a hoof. I can’t believe my eyes as he lowers his neck as if presenting his mane to my trembling hand. And something inside lights up, a fire I hardly knew still burned in me, leaps and flares. I reach for a handful of his mane, I place the other on his back and with a half run I leap. Barely have I gripped his flanks and he’s off, surging forward like the storm that will never abate, never blow itself out. I feel his energy course through me even as I knot my hands tighter into his mane and will my legs to grip like they’ve never gripped before. 


At a gallop we clear the cottage’s low hedge and I feel my heart take flight as he soars and we land as one. Down the lane we race until he whinnies once more and we are off over the stone wall, across the heath, clearing gorse bushes the size of boulders. Tears whip from my eyes, but this time of joy. A house looms and I glance up to see Tom’s face in the window, wild with joy; he flings the casement wide.


“Go, Lauren- go!” He bellows after me. “Race the shadows!” 


And I do. I clear every single one.


October 23, 2023 20:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Nina H
13:28 Oct 28, 2023

Loss and hope, perfectly balanced in this tale. There’s a parallel between the cottage and the MC, both brought back to life. I love the fantasy quality of this story, and your imagery (as always) delivers a powerful flow. Can I say it has horsepower? 😂

Reply

Rebecca Miles
06:44 Oct 29, 2023

Ha. Absolutely!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
11:20 Oct 26, 2023

Many things I loved about this: The strength of the mother, moving forward, paving a path for her and her daughter in light of her own grief. It's incredible to see people who pick themselves up and figure a way out to get on with life despite it's hardships. The daughter as she works through her own thoughts and grief, first she is resistant to change, as I feel a lot of us are when it comes to being thrust into situations unknown to us. Especially painful ones where we have yet to see the good. The neighbor. Neighbors who watch out fo...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
13:09 Oct 26, 2023

Thanks so much Danie for such a detailed reading. I really like the idea you raised about the horse's bravery. They are such brave creatures ,yet can take fright so easily; if I had the word count (perhaps if I spin this out as a longer work) I'd love to delve into what were the circumstances around the former girl's paralysis- what was really his part. Yes, his shadow is also very long, a haunting for him too I suppose. I'm glad they could race them together.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:23 Oct 25, 2023

A nice take on a ghost story :) Right up until the end, the haunting seems metaphorical, where Lauren mourns for the loss of her father and the loss of her previous life, where Phantom features prominently. But right at the end, the haunting is (I choose to believe) literal, with a ghost horse that seeks her out as a way of making amends. (And so the ghost horse itself is haunted, by the accident.) This is a neat idea, and raises many questions. I wonder if it was also a ghost back when the previous girl ended up paralyzed? Or perhaps it d...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
13:05 Oct 26, 2023

With all your questions, perhaps there's a novel in here! Interesting idea isn't it, animals especially horses are so emotionally responsive, it would be fascinating to spin out a longer work where the horse has it's own story where it seeks resolution. You've planted a seed. Your comment about Betsy made me smile; I think with her wellingtons and no-nonsense approach to life she'd be more than up to lifting more than the tone of this! Thanks as always for the invested reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:39 Oct 25, 2023

Lovely writing Rebecca. You capture the sadness and melancholy of the MC really well. The dialogue and dialects of the characters are distinct and believable. And the ghostly magical ending is like something out of Sleepy Hollow. Brilliantly crafted tale.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:11 Oct 25, 2023

Thanks Derrick. Would you believe I've never watched Sleepy Hollow. I don't watch much TV, or series of any sorts; I figure if I did, I'd binge and never write anything! I'm glad the dialect worked; voice is always a tricky thing to get right, isn't it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
12:55 Oct 25, 2023

This is gorgeous. It starts so powerfully and this description: "The clouds toss, revealing the white of the moon’s eye, rolled back in fright" so foreboding. The richness of the imagery throughout is so satisfying. This phrase: "...you don’t want to be keeping your Ma and me company when the whole world is a-waiting for you," is lovely but also such a brilliant reminder to the MC that the world is still "a-waiting." A sensitive 'ghost' story and one that ends so beautifully, with her clearing the shadows. Dynamite.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:08 Oct 25, 2023

Thanks so much Laurel. I did enjoy writing this; the haunted house trope didn't speak to me at all, but I've been drawn to mysterious midnight horses ever since I was a girl so this pretty much wrote itself. I wonder what you made of my Springdales: one part Hardy's rustics, one part Dickensian thumbnail sketch and the last The Secret Garden perhaps!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
18:26 Oct 25, 2023

Loved them. Mrs. Springdale comes fully realized by the "higgledy piggledy" teeth alone and then the fantastic observation: "Found your way rather than lost it," which I loved. A wise woman. But I also loved the son hollering his approval of Lauren's midnight ride with so much energy on top of the very energetic ride itself. And, yes, I had trouble wanting to do the haunted house prompt. You took the road less travelled by.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
15:23 Oct 31, 2023

Another masterful story, Rebecca. Love the poetry of the prose in the first paragraph and the last segment. Great work!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
17:00 Oct 31, 2023

Thanks Jonathan. Horse stories aren't for everyone but I'm glad this one kept you in the saddle;-) Heading over to yours (I know there's probably lots on offer from you) soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
13:23 Oct 31, 2023

The writing in this was riveting. Great parallels between her life and the new place/ story. The way you delivered the climax was truly epic. Amazing read. Good luck with this one. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:56 Oct 31, 2023

If you can't have epic at Halloween when can you have it, eh! Thanks ever so much for the vote of confidence.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
08:09 Oct 31, 2023

Hi Rebecca. I like your take on the prompt with this beautiful story about the spirit of a horse. I’d love to meet this horse. What I like most is that the story works on more than one level. Themes of grief, loss, courage and friendship run throughout, offering hope that the young MC will be able to move forward. Also some enjoyable and recognisable dialogue. 😊

Reply

Rebecca Miles
07:16 Nov 02, 2023

Hi Helen, sorry for the late reply. I'm actually over in England for a few days, no charity shop shopping as of yet though;-) Yes some big themes the horse was bearing this week; and, like you, I'd like to meet this one and perhaps go for a gallop!

Reply

Helen A Smith
08:08 Nov 02, 2023

Hi Rebecca, I hope you enjoy your time in England. The weather is changeable. Supposed to be a massive storm ahead, but at the moment it’s bright and sunny. Fingers crossed it stays more sunny and storms won’t be too bad 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aaron Galassi
01:25 Oct 30, 2023

Your command of language is spot on, and a particular strength of this piece is the vivid imagery. The only thing that really took me out of the story is the dialogue between Lauren and Tom. If Tom is twelve, as suggested in your piece, I don’t think he would use some of the words he used. It felt more like I was being told a sinister story in a tavern instead of listening to a story between children, however, I’m American and it sounds like your story is set in the UK so all my experience with the way children speak and converse with each o...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
06:39 Oct 30, 2023

Thanks Aaron. Dialect can be tricky, especially with children, but yes this is British not American. I was also going for a timeless feel, a bit like the heath where they live and the ageless mystery horse. I knew I didn't want any modern slang jarring it but of course then it feels, with the dialect, quite old-fashioned. Although perhaps in a ghost story that might be a good thing! Cheers for the interesting comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
01:44 Oct 27, 2023

Racing shadows erase them. When you ride, you ride high. Nicely done once more.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:18 Oct 27, 2023

Thanks Mary. I like the idea of riding high over those shadows. Heading over to your page now.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
13:51 Oct 26, 2023

An enchanting and uplifting tale! Well done, Rebecca.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:11 Oct 26, 2023

Thanks ever so much Shirley, nothing like a bit of enchantment, eh!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
13:27 Oct 24, 2023

I love the parallel of the Phantom who haunts her galloping into her dreams and the phantom horse who frees her from her woes beyond her dreams. She didn't want to move to this new cottage, she wasn't done mourning her father at home, but she's found a freedom from it, or rather a connection in The Aerie - and a new friend in Tom! I could nearly feel the wind across my face as she road off into the night, racing those shadows! I needed a bit of that inspirational wind this week - thank you dear sister scribbler!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:26 Oct 24, 2023

I'm blowing a big creative gust your way! I told you it would only be a matter of time before a storm landed again; luckily I "reined it in"- sorry, terrible! I've been wondering for a while about a horse story; I used to love reading them myself as a child and have long thought I should give it a go, plus it channels my weekly riding lessons (though I wouldn't be brave enough to go leaping over any stone walls or hedges!) I had a lot of fun with the rustics too; I think I could give the Springdales another outing! Thanks for the early rea...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.