„The Calm in the Storm“

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: Write a story set against the backdrop of a storm.... view prompt

0 comments

Inspirational Middle School Teens & Young Adult

The sun was still low in the sky when Jacob and Caleb arrived at the docks, the sea stretching out before them in shades of silver and blue. Jacob walked ahead, eyes scanning every detail of their small boat, mentally checking his list. He had been up before dawn, packing gear, checking the motor, and studying the maps. Even now, as they prepared to cast off, he was still tying down extra ropes, triple-checking the fuel, and adjusting the life vests.

Caleb, in contrast, strolled leisurely behind him, humming a low tune under his breath. He had shown up with little more than a weathered backpack slung over one shoulder and a thermos of coffee in his hand. He was in no hurry, no rush. The day was theirs to enjoy, and the sea, to him, was a vast and friendly companion.

"You sure you packed everything?" Jacob called over his shoulder, his brow furrowed. He was kneeling at the stern of the boat, meticulously adjusting the anchor chain. 

Caleb took a slow sip of his coffee, leaning against the dock post. "Packed what I need. You know me, Jacob. I like to keep it simple."

"Simple’s fine when you’re on land," Jacob muttered, standing up and wiping his hands on his jeans. "But we’re not on land, are we? One wrong move out there, and the sea doesn’t care how 'simple' you want to keep things."

Caleb chuckled, shaking his head. "You worry too much. It's a clear day. The sun’s shining, the water’s calm. We’ll be fine. Just enjoy the process."

"Enjoy the process?" Jacob shot back, his eyes narrowing as he turned to face Caleb. "This isn't some lazy afternoon stroll. This is the ocean. You need to be ready for anything. Did you even check the forecast?"

Caleb shrugged, grinning easily. "What’s the point of watching the forecast? The weather changes anyway. If a storm comes, we’ll deal with it."

Jacob let out an exasperated sigh. "You always do this, man. You act like life just... flows, like everything will work out if you just drift along. But that’s not how it works. You have to be ready, prepared, in control."

Caleb smiled, a soft look in his eyes as he glanced out at the open water. "Maybe that’s the difference between you and me, Jacob. You think you can control everything, but me? I know better. Sometimes you just have to trust. You can’t plan your way through life. The sea’s been here a lot longer than us, and it’s not about to take orders."

Jacob didn’t respond. He just tightened his grip on the ropes and shook his head, muttering under his breath as he made the final preparations. To him, Caleb’s carefree attitude was frustrating, irresponsible even. He admired his friend’s calm nature in some ways, but it often felt naive, like Caleb was tempting fate.

The boat, small but sturdy, bobbed gently on the water as they finally set off. Jacob was at the helm, eyes scanning the horizon, hands steady on the wheel. Caleb lounged back, feet propped up on a coil of rope, the wind ruffling his hair as he looked up at the sky, basking in the warmth of the sun. For a while, the day was as perfect as it could be—the waves lapping lazily against the hull, the gentle hiss of water against wood.

But it wasn’t long before the weather began to shift.

The first sign was a distant rumble, so faint that Jacob barely noticed it at first. Then, the wind began to pick up, shifting from a light breeze to something sharper, colder. He glanced up at the sky, now thickening with clouds.

"That doesn’t look good," he muttered, his hands tightening on the wheel. "We should turn back. Now."

Caleb, still lounging, opened one eye and squinted at the darkening horizon. "It’ll pass. A little rain never hurt anyone."

Jacob’s jaw tightened. "This isn’t just rain, Caleb. We need to head in before it gets worse."

But Caleb only shrugged again, his posture relaxed. "You're always so tense. You think everything’s a disaster waiting to happen. Just breathe. The sea will carry us where we need to go."

And that was when it hit.

The storm came out of nowhere, the dark clouds sweeping across the sky like a predator stalking its prey. The wind howled, tearing at the sails and the ropes, and the waves rose higher, slapping against the boat with sudden violence. 

Jacob sprang into action, his body rigid with tension as he wrestled the boat’s wheel, his mind racing with calculations—how to turn, where the wind was coming from, how fast they needed to get to shore. His heart pounded in his chest, each muscle straining as he fought to keep the boat steady.

"Help me out, Caleb!" Jacob shouted, his voice barely audible above the roar of the storm. "We need to fight this! If we don’t get control, we’re done!"

But when Jacob looked over, Caleb was sitting quietly, his hands loosely resting on the edge of the boat, his eyes half-closed as if he were meditating.

"Caleb!" Jacob bellowed, his panic rising. "What are you doing?!"

Caleb opened his eyes, the calmness in them startling amidst the chaos. "Sometimes you can’t fight it, Jacob. The sea’s too big, too powerful. You just have to let go, trust it’ll pass."

"Are you insane?" Jacob screamed, the veins in his neck bulging. "You think we’ll survive by doing nothing?"

The boat was lurching wildly now, tossed like a toy in the hands of an angry child. Jacob fought harder, pushing his body to the limit as he tried to outmaneuver the storm. His muscles burned, his lungs ached, but he refused to stop. He *had* to control this.

But the storm didn’t care about Jacob’s control. It didn’t care about his careful planning, his preparation. It tore at the sails, snapped the ropes, and rocked the boat with savage power. And then, in one final, brutal surge, a wave crashed over the side, sweeping Jacob off his feet and into the sea.

He gasped for air as the icy water closed over him, his limbs flailing wildly. The current dragged him deeper, and he kicked furiously, trying to fight his way back to the surface. But the more he struggled, the harder it became, the water pulling at him with unrelenting strength. His body screamed for air, for relief, but he kept fighting, refusing to surrender.

Meanwhile, back on the boat, Caleb sat still. He let the storm carry him, trusting the sea to guide him through. His heart ached knowing Jacob was gone, but there was nothing he could do now. The storm would either break or it wouldn’t. He surrendered himself to its will.

As the storm finally began to calm, the boat, battered and worn but still afloat, drifted toward the shore. The clouds began to break, the wind easing, and the sea, once more, grew calm.

Caleb opened his eyes, blinking at the light breaking through the clouds. By some miracle, he had survived. No strength had saved him, no fight. Only trust.

He looked out at the still, endless horizon and whispered, "You can’t control the storm. Sometimes, you just have to trust you’ll make it through."

September 08, 2024 19:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.