Goodbyes are no fun

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with two characters saying goodbye.... view prompt

4 comments

General

"So, this is finally happening," I said wistfully, plunking down on the bed, "home sweet home is expecting me."

Heaving dramatically, Giovanni started, "No more you sitting behind me in class, boring holes at the back of my head with your eyes."

"What the..."

"Or me sitting in front looking at you from my glasses or my phone screen." He continued.

"Who stares at the back of your head in class? Get over yourself Gio."

"I have evidence you know."

"Of course you do. Get out."

"I'm in my house."

"I mean out of my head." 

"Oh, now you admit I'm in your head. Tell me, where else am I. Perhaps, in here?" He said pointing a finger at my chest.

Looking him in the eye, I said with the firmest voice I could muster, "You're in my face, now move."

"Wrong answer," he said shifting, "you're no fun. That was a moment we had back there. The right word and boom." He said mimicking an explosion.

"I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that. Did you try calling the emperor?"

"No. I kinda forgot about it. Any problem?"

"Yes. He hasn't handed over his work yet and I'll be leaving tomorrow. His number cannot be reached."

"Not surprised."

"Me neither. But it's irking me now since I'm gonna miss my chance to slowly make him look dumb."

"That's true. No more get-togethers for the magazine too." He said pinning me with his larger than life eyes pleading with me to stay a while even if for the magazine.

"Oh no! If you think y'all are gonna slack off on the magazine, you're joking," I replied with equally wide eyes, ignoring his plea. "School might be on lockdown but the magazine isn't," I continued, "this will give us ample time to get our stuff together and be ready to present the department with a perfect manuscript."

Trying unsuccessfully not to laugh, he said, "Okay, Miss Editor-in-chief. But how're we supposed to be working when we're miles away from each other?"

"Ever heard of virtual teams?" I asked with pursed lips. "I told you of TeamViewer. We even tested it on your laptop, Mr. Tech." I retorted.

"Oops! I forgot."

Hmm, just that, no comeback. Today must be my lucky day.

"Why don't you wanna go home?" I asked already knowing .

"Why do you wanna go home?"

"I've told you again and again."

"Mind reminding me."

"I mind!" 

We were both quiet. He didn't want me to go nor did he want to go. I wanted to go and I wanted to stay at the same time. That was no reason to be angry but it seemed we were both being unreasonable. Or at least I was.

It was almost dark. There was no electricity. Our laptops were both dead. His phone was out charging, mine was practically useless if you wanted to pass time.

"I wish Thursday worked out." He said taking my hand.

"Well I wish you didn't cancel it beforehand!" I retorted. 

"Why are you shouting? You weren't very keen on it."

"Exactly! And then I finally said yes and all of a sudden you decided we needed more time to... whatever."

Leaving on bad terms would just make things worse so I let it slide. 

"Well, now we have lots of time."

"Yes, away from each other."

"I meant time to you know... There's Skype and with that TeamViewer stuff, we could even see a movie together."

"And why would I want to do that?"

"To make up for Thursday?"

"Great right," I said with a sardonic smile on my face. "Well, guess who hates social media."

"Oh, right. Forgot."

"What's wrong with you? I'm the one with a short memory."

"You're rubbing off on me," he said with that smile that I loved. 

I smiled too hoping my siblings would still recognize me.


We were walking to my ride and I was thinking of how to ease the tension and failing miserably.

"Hey Gio, I've been trying to reach you. What happened to your phone?" 

I looked up and saw Nico, our friend from The Lumen Press. 

"Hey Saph, what're you still doing in school?" He asked smiling.

Smiling, I said, "I'm doing great Nico. You should be asking your friend that," I said pointing my head at Gio.

He leaned down and whispered something unintelligible in my ear and suddenly started laughing. It wasn't funny. I was disgusted but Nico was a soft guy so I laughed too.

Gio raised his left brow at me. He wasn't buying my laughter. Didn't matter though, Nico had.

"I'll be by the corner," I said walking away.


He watched me get on the bike. He looked really sad and for all I knew, he could be faking it. I really wished he was.

"Stay with me," he said.

The guy had guts. "You know better than to ask me that."

"Why? You're so..." He said looking for the best word to use.

Cryptic would do just fine but I said nothing.

"hard to understand sometimes," he finally said. "Sometimes it feels nice, other times, I just want to pull my hair out."

I wasn't sorry, but I wanted to apologize anyway. He would see through it, so I didn't.

"Can I see you off tomorrow?" He asked pouting.

"Don't be such a sissy," I muttered inaudibly, rolling my eyes in the dark.

"You have that much cash to spare?" I asked knowing he was short on cash and I, on emotions. I didn't want any lingering or teary goodbyes.

"We don't know how long this is going to be. You sure you won't regret it?" He teased.

"I'll be just fine," I said before he could answer. He smiled after I saw what looked like disappointment on his face. Geez, what was he thinking.

"No hugs?"

"Tell Boniface I'll miss her too." he added quickly as the bike roared to life.

"I told you to stop calling my sister that." I shouted back laughing as I zoomed away thankful that I wasn't the one feeling awkward.


I'm not going to think of him I told myself as I boarded the bus home knowing how impossible that was. Letting down my hair, I wished there was a partition to prevent any kind of small talk from my seatmate. I knew two things though; one, Gio was going to be at his home before the weekend. Two, I was going to get over him before we meet again. After all, they don't call me siren for nothing.


June 05, 2020 22:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Iona Cottle
15:42 Jun 11, 2020

Very good characterisation. A couple of times I got lost with who the subject of the sentence was e.g. ‘I said pointing my head at Gio. He leaned down and whispered’ It’s not clear if its Gio or Nico who leans down, as Nico just turned up and was spoken to, but Gio was the last person mentioned by name. The story feels genuine, and I like the internal thoughts and external actions, it really helps the characters feel well rounded.

Reply

16:13 Jun 12, 2020

Thank you so much for your insight. I'll be sure to look into it. Really appreciate.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maggie Writes
00:13 Jun 11, 2020

Good balance between dialogue and internal thought. The relationship is understood and expressed well.

Reply

16:13 Jun 12, 2020

Thanks a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.