0 comments

Inspirational

Resting my heavy head in my short fingers was no use. They were so cold that I may as well have had icicles growing off them. But it was the only comfort I had. Today, my seventeenth birthday, my mum was supposed to take me to get a car and apply to take my driver’s test. I let go of that dream years ago. I’d been saving my money for a really long time to make my seventeenth as special as it should have been if I was never placed into foster care. All my money could get me was a small pizza, a mini muffin, a really small drink and a lit candle for my birthday wish. I didn’t really believe in all that wish superstition stuff, but I could use every wish I got. I looked to my right, pushing my thick, naturally blonde hair out of my face. There was a lady there, maybe fifty years old. She was sitting alone, like I was, with a candle in the same muffin I had. I heard her start to hum the tune of the happy birthday song. 


I ate my dinner in silence and blew out the candle. The lady looked at me when I stood up to leave and gave me a polite smile. I could see sadness in her emerald eyes, struggling to escape the brave face she appeared to be putting on. I walked outside, not feeling at all safe. I stood tall, my shoulders back. I briskly walked back to my foster parent’s house. I lifted up the mat next to the garden bed, but instead of finding the rusted, silver key, I found a note.


Aventurine- your late. again. your sleeping outside tonite.


I couldn’t contain it anymore. I fell to my knees, hitting the ground with a loud thump. I buried my head in my frozen hands and cried so quietly that even the crickets were louder. It started to rain on me, but I didn’t care. I was hoping I’d be allowed inside, but once again, I was dreaming of something nearly impossible.


A month later


I went for a walk in the park around 7 in the morning. I saw a woman with a small poodle near the duck pond. I recognised the hair but I had no idea where from, until she turned around. I could never forget those eyes. The emerald eyes of the woman humming Happy Birthday in the restaurant. She gave me the same polite and nodded as she walked away.


I saw her there at the same time every week for months. Always with that poodle. She was always alone, never walked with anyone else. One day, only four months before I would age out of the foster system, I went up to her. 

‘I’m not sure if you remember me, I’m Aventurine,’ I said.

‘That young lady with the muffin and the candle,’ she said, her emerald eyes still seeping sadness out. I smiled, I didn’t think after eight months, she with, still remember me. ‘I’m Judy, and this is Princess.’ She motioned to the dog. 

‘It’s nice to meet you, Judy.’

‘And same to you, Aventurine. I will see you next week, dear?’

‘You can’t stay?’

‘Unfortunately not. Breakfast is awaiting me.’ She left with Princess and I just stayed there for a while. Being alone in a public park had to be better than going home to my foster parents. Four more months and I would be out of there for good.


I went back to the park a week after I spoke to Judy to find her sitting on a bench facing the pond, Princess sitting underneath. I went there and sat next to her. She started talking immediately. 

‘I had to ask, why Aventurine? Was it your grandmother's name or a distant relative?’

‘My birth mum was a geologist. Loved any kind of rock. I’m lucky I didn’t get the name Marble or Slate or something.’ She giggled.

‘What happened to her?’ 

‘I’m not sure. They never really told me. I just know she gave me up and that the system is trying to get me to reconnect with her.’

‘You know dear, you should talk to your mother. She would be lucky to have you.’

‘Why do you always walk alone?’ I asked, desperate to change the subject.

‘I used to walk with my family. Daughter and husband. Both had leukaemia. My daughter had the same birthday as you. That’s who you saw me celebrating eight months ago.’

‘I- I’m sorry for asking.’

‘No, no, dear. This is how we get to know each other. Knowing someone’s past shows who they are now.’


2 Months Later


“So, how do I do this?” I asked Judy while holding a pile of food for dinner.

“I’ve given you a million cooking lessons, how have I not taught you how to make a stir fry?”

“You probably have, but l’m forgetful, remember Aunty Judy?”

“I love that you call me that. Before we start, I wanted to ask you something.”

“Yes, I’ve washed my hands and taken my earrings out,” I joked. Judy nervously giggled.

“A little more important than that, although hygiene is rather important. Glad to know i have taught you something. But I wanted to ask if you would consider letting me adopt you.” I was shocked to say the least.

“I’m flattered, but,” Judy’s face fell. “My birth mother is still legally able to take me in, so until I turn 18, no one can adopt me.” I felt terrible to say no.

“Well, in the meantime, we have our cooking classes.” I smiled and nodded, following her detailed recipe on making stir fry sauce.


One year after Aventurine and Judy saw each other for the first time


Aventurine skipped the cooking class on the morning of her 18th birthday, which suited Judy just fine because she had things to do on that day as well. Unknowingly, they both went to the courthouse and little did either of them know that they were both filling out the same forms in rooms right next door to each other. They came out at the same time and faced each other, shocked at the presence of the other. Aventurine hid her forms behind her back, but Judy didn’t bother hiding hers.

“What are you hiding?”

“What are they?” They questioned at the same time.

“Will you be my daughter?” Judy turned the papers around to show “Adult Adoption” at the top. Aventurine took her forms out to reveal the same thing, and suddenly, the sadness in Judy’s emerald eyes faded into happiness.

“Will you be my Mum?”


May 08, 2021 01:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.