1 comment

Creative Nonfiction Friendship Sad

  In all her life, Macy only wanted one thing, and that was to feel like she belonged somewhere. She wanted to find a place where she will be welcomed and be herself without getting judged. She was like a bird locked up in a cage. She was imprisoned to somewhere she didn’t belong. Even if she wanted to get away, there wasn’t anywhere she can go.

  Everyone around her seemed to fit in while she can’t. It was easy for them to be themselves because they were alike unlike her. Macy was an outcast, a freak. She was different from the rest. She was afraid to be herself around the others. She was afraid of being judged. So, she did the most logical thing to her at the time. Pretending to be someone else was so much easier than being herself. Because for doing the latter you need courage. Macy was not proud of what she did, and she knew it was a coward act. She pretended to be one of them. Macy thought it would make her happy, but it didn’t. She didn’t know what else she could do, so, she kept the façade even though it made her more miserable. She started to feel lonelier than before like there was not a single person in this world who can understand her.

  The sad thing is she was really all alone. No one she ever knew understand her, even her family. Every time she talked about her dreams or plans with her family or with her friends, all of them said the same things. The thing she wanted to do are impossible to accomplish, that she can’t change anything, she should grow up, and they are just dreams that will never come true. Hearing these over and over again broke Macy’s heart more and more. So, she buried those plans deep in her heart and hid them from everyone.

  No matter how hard she tried she still didn’t fit in. Her true self always finds a way to show itself. Macy realized no matter what she does, she can’t change who she is. She still kept up the role, because she was afraid of what will happen if she quit it. Even if she was surrounded by people, she was still lonely. She wondered all of these people would stick around if they knew the real her. She didn’t have the courage to learn the answer to that question.

  Even though she hid behind a mask, she still believed one day she will prove everyone wrong. She was determined to make her dreams and plans come true. Every night she dreamed of meeting people who are like her, who are different from the rest. She dreamed of a person who will understand her and help her to accomplish her goals. Maybe just maybe if she has someone like her, she will find the courage to be herself. For a long time, that dream seemed so far away. Just when she was about to lose her faith in the existence of that kind of person, she met Elinor.

  Elinor was an outcast just like Macy, but unlike her, she gave up trying to fit in a long time ago. She would rather be alone than being crowded with fake people. Even though Elinor had good relationships with everyone, she wasn’t close with anyone. She was kind, but also distant. Some people think she didn’t get close with people because she was arrogant, but it was far from the truth. There was a time Elinor was afraid of being herself. Then she met with someone who gives her the courage to be herself. She can be who she is when she is around them. Then without an explanation, that person left her on her own. It wounded her deeply. After that Elinor never be the same. She closed her heart to people and build walls around herself to not let anyone get too close. She was afraid to be hurt again. So instead of getting close to someone, she chose to be alone.

  From the moment they met, they felt an indescribable connection. They felt like they had known each other their whole lives, although they had never met. A lovely friendship bloomed between them. After some time, they become each other’s friends, confidants, companions, family, and home. They shared their dreams, fears, and secrets. Discovering how many things they had in common surprised them so much. They gave each other the courage they needed. Elinor overcame her fear of letting people get close to her. She was still afraid of getting hurt, but now she was brave enough to face it. Also, she knew even if she got hurt, she wouldn’t be alone. Macy will always be there for her like she will be there for Macy. Macy got over her fear of being herself around people. She didn’t care about other people’s judgements. Elinor showed her it doesn’t matter what others say, the only thing that mattered is her own thoughts about herself. And if they don’t accept her in the way she is, then that’s their loss. They helped each other to become better versions of themselves.

  It was a miracle how they found each other. They were each other's everything. Looking back now, they never thought they will mean this much to each other. They were thankful for having each other in their lives. After a very long time, both of them discovered being yourself is the best thing you can be. The people who really love you will never ask for you to change, they will accept you the way you are.

Sometimes all you need is to find the person who loves you the way you are. The person who believes in your dreams as much as you do. The one who will be with you every step of the way. The one who builds you up. The right person. Sometimes fate brings them to you.

August 20, 2021 19:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tetsuya Date
09:39 Sep 26, 2021

This is so relatable for me that it's creepy. It felt like someone wrote a story of me :D

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.