15 comments

Drama Romance Teens & Young Adult

Prompt: Set your story within a window of opportunity, when a character finally has the chance to do something.




It was a fantastic evening in Los Angeles. The sunset sky was stunning, with smoky clouds. Along with the orange, there was a purple tinge here and there. ¡Es tan encantador! People were rushing from work to home, and children were returning home from school. While everyone else was rushing around, Ezekiel Micah, or simply Zeke as he loves to be called, was sitting on a wooden seat on the side lane, watching the twilight sky. This was the first time he had spent a Friday evening gazing at the sky. As a forensic psychologist, he’s never had time to unwind on weekdays or even weekends. 


“Coming through!” A 19-year-old girl arrived out of nowhere from the crowd. Her ash blonde hair stood out from the crowd, and her blue-grey eyes could be seen from anywhere. She had put her hair into a messy bun and was rushing through the mob.


“Sorry!”


“Excuse me!”


“Pardon!”

She yelled, alerting the others nearby. She now regrets her decision to relocate to Los Angeles, where she hoped to find more job options than in Rincón, Puerto Rico. However, it appears that the more populated the city, the less likely it was to get a job with a good wage.


Who is she? Zeke saw something special in her and decided to approach her and speak with her. He couldn't decide if it was her smoking ash blonde hair or her intriguing, stormy blue-grey eyes that drew him in. But she had already accelerated her pace to the point where he couldn't catch up to her. Oh my my, she's fast, he thought to himself as he followed her.


The ash-blonde-haired girl dashed immediately into a posh restaurant. Zeke looked up and read aloud, 


La Perejil


She could be working here as a waiter or anything similar. But wait, she's too lovely to work as someone like that. He cleared his mind and rushed into the restaurant.


The restaurant was packed. On one side, tables and chairs were carefully placed and people sat on them, while on the other, numerous people sat on bar stools, helping themselves to drinks. I took a seat and placed my order for an Americano. 


The girl I saw on the street a few minutes before ran up to the center of the restaurant and greeted the audience. “¡¡Buenas tardes, angeleños!!” Then she strummed her uke and started singing a song, and I was captivated by her amazing voice.


That was when a guy and girl started yelling and howling trying to interrupt her beautiful, Spanish song. 


“Loser!!”


“Go back to ya mommy and daddy, Boricua!”


“You suck, Bella!!”


She, on the other hand, ignored them and continued singing. I turned around and noticed the same guy and girl sneaking somewhere. After a few minutes, I noticed them return with a bucket of something, I assume water. The girl crept backstage to the restaurant's heart and dumped water on Bella. Oh my goodness!


Isabel, the singer girl, I believe her name is that. She paused for a second to shoot a glare at the guy and the girl, and then resumed her song. The audience reacted with oohs and awws. Everyone was enraged at the guy and girl.


They're gonna pay for this! I'll teach them a lesson for bothering my Isabel! I told myself this as I clenched my fists and smashed them on the table.



Isabel's POV


I strummed my ukulele one more time and exclaimed to the audience, who was thumping their feet and swaying their heads, clearly loving the song, “¡¡Gracias a todos!! Espero que les haya gustado mi canción!! ¡Adiós!” 


Except for Caleb, Morgan, and their gang, everyone was having a good time with the music. Caleb and Morgan, the gang's leaders, and mi archienemigo. I despise even mentioning them because, well, they're a pain.


When we were in high school, I was their toy; they could say whatever they wanted to me and bully me as much as they wanted. I was nervous and introverted at the time, so I didn't feel compelled to tell anyone. In addition, I didn't know anyone other than mi mejor amiga, Amara, and mi primo, Justin. I kept everything to myself since I don't want them to get into problems as a result of my actions. 


Caleb tried to bully me in front of Amara and Justin one day. Justin threatened to murder him if he ever came near me. But Caleb's still attempting to cause problems for me, and do you want to know how he's going to do it? By ruining my Career.    


I rely on the money I earn as a bar singer at La Perejil to pay for my accommodation and food. If I lose my job, I will have to drop out of Caltech, and return to my home island of Puerto Rico, giving up my ambition of becoming a singer and making music boxes to sell for a living, as mi hermano, papá, and our antepasadas did.


I was the only one in mi familia who chose music over the woodwork, and several of my family members, particularly mi abuelita and mi tio, weren't glad about it.


I was so tired after the song and the 'cold shower' that I realized I had spoken in Español rather than English. However, I believe the crowd was unconcerned. They applauded loudly, and I felt myself proudly beaming. I dashed backstage as quickly as I could. I couldn't tolerate it any longer in this drenched dress. You-Know-Who and his girlfriend sprayed me with cold water. (When we have to mention Caleb and Morgan, I, Amara, and Justin refer to them as such.)


I put on a denim jacket and a white t-shirt and poured myself a cup of coffee. Man, I'm completely crazy with coffee. ¡El café es vida!


"¡Oye, Bella!"


I turned around to see Señor Pérez, the restaurant's owner, who was beaming. I was always grateful to him for offering me this job while I was having difficulty finding one.


"¡Hola señor Pérez! ¿Cómo estuvo mi canción? " As I packed my belongings and Uke, I smiled gently and respectfully. It was getting close to the end of the night. And all I want to do when I get home is call mi mama and mi papa and go to bed as quickly as possible. I had college the next day, and I had to get up rather early, although I'm not a morning person.


¡Fue increíble como siempre! Sabes que algunos de nuestros clientes vienen aquí solo para escucharte cantar,” I felt myself turning warm and crimson as he commented on my song.


¡Aw! ¡Gracias Señor Pérez!” I muttered this as I scooped up my backpack and slung it over my shoulder.


Oh, tu salario. Hoy es tu día de salario, ¿verdad?” I nod as he rummages through his pockets and pulls out his wallet. He counted the money and handed me my pay.


As I count the money, my joy fades into a frown. I raised my eyes to Senor Perez. He was completely perplexed. He gave me a look that said, "What's wrong?"


Lo siento señor Pérez. Necesito mas dinero,” You sigh, trying to think of a way to persuade him. “Bueno, el alquiler de la habitación del mes pasado se vence y tengo que pagar el mes pasado y también este mes. Además, no he comido nada desde el mediodía.


He glances in his wallet once again, perhaps debating whether or not to give me extra money. I made a puppy face at him, hoping it would work. 


Bella, you are clever. It worked!!


He let out a deep sigh and gave me a few more dollars, I think about five hundred more, “Solo porque los dos somos boricuas, ¿de acuerdo?


I ran to him, cheerfully and leaned on to him for a brotherly hug. “¡Gracias, muchas gracias!”


I swerved away and dashed backstage to the entrance, to be greeted by some of my fans. They snapped selfies with me and requested an autograph. A man approached me and asked if I could sign his t-shirt for him. So I was going to autograph his t-shirt. That's when You-Know-Who and his GF came in. They gave me a strange look as if I had done something wrong.


Boricua, you and your boyfriend are going to pay for this! We're going to make your life a living nightmare!!


Caleb yelled as they stormed out of the restaurant. He and the rest of the gang were drenched.


¿Que demonios?What? What exactly did I do? What the hell is he on about?


I autographed the fan's t-shirt and dashed out of the restaurant as quickly as I could. I let out a yawn and cracked my knuckles. I believe I'm unlucky. Because it began to rain heavily the instant I went outdoors.


“Why does it always have to be me? The unlucky one? Why always me?” As I peered at the rumbling sky, I let out a sigh and said this.


“You know, Mary Lou Retton once said that optimism is a happiness magnet; if you stay cheerful, wonderful things and nice people will gravitate toward you. If you stay pessimistic, the negatives will come to you.”


I keep going, irritated “Wait, you think I'm not positive? Did you just say I'm pessimistic?”


“No, no, no, not in that way.” I turn around, a frown on my face, visibly displeased. There stood a young slightly muscular man who appeared to be much taller than me. His eyes were deep brown, and his short, curly copper ombre hair was styled in a messy quiff. He appeared terrified and was gulping a lot, like a lot.


Man, ay bendito! I think I scared him.


He swallowed and cleared his throat. I'm not sure why, but I want to hear his wonderful, deep voice again.


“I mean, you just need to be a little more optimistic. Right?”


The anonymous guy, who appeared to be a bit familiar to me, shrugged. I had a feeling I knew him even before I met him. But I'm not sure how.


“My family has been woodworkers for generations. They make and sell music boxes for a living. I am the only one in my family that prefers music to woodworking and believe me, my entire family, especially mi tio and mi abuelita is not pleased. They think I'll sully the family name, Romero. Then there came high school, where I was regularly bullied. Despite all of my difficulties, I stayed positive. And now you're criticizing me of being pessimistic?” 

Man, I was pretty frustrated.


“I understand you're upset, and you have every right to be. Every problem, my dear fella, has a solution. And I’m happy to help solve ya! ”


¿De Verdad?” I asked, looking up at him with an inquisitive expression on my face. "I mean, really?”


He frantically nodded, as if to say yes.


“Breathe in and out with me.”


I did what he said. I exhaled in and out a few times, my breath slightly trembling. I continued to inhale and exhale, and to my surprise, my racing heart began to settle down and return to a normal rate. I sighed and muttered, “I can't believe I just opened up to a stranger.”



Zeke’s POV


I offered a soft smile. That was a challenge! I've seen many people who are angrier than this girl, but they don't usually have an angry outburst at the most inconvenient time. Furthermore, calming her down was a herculean task.


She looked up at me and continued, “I'm sorry for yelling at you. I was trying to keep it all together the entire time.”


I ruffled her hair, “It's fine. Miss Romero, you have every right to be upset!”


She looked at me, perplexed, probably because I addressed her as 'Miss’

.

“Who are you? How do you know my name?”


I laughed a little. “Well, I'm nobody over here, whereas you're a well-known singer. As a result, I'll-”


“What?! Me? I'm obviously a nobody. Well, a couple of people who visit La Perejil would recognize me. Aside from that?”


“You should ask Mr. Perez about the sales regularly. Every day, hundreds of people visit your restaurant. And the main reason is because of you. People are primarily coming to hear you sing, Isabel.”


When I caught her off guard, I decided to introduce myself after giving it some thought. In comparison to my usual philosophy talk, this was nothing. I extended my hand to shake hers, “Hello, my name is Ezekiel Micah. Forensic Psychologist.’


“Eze-what?”


“Ezekiel.”


“Eziel?”


"It's Ezekiel. Like this, E-Z-E-K-I-E L."

I explained by scribbling letters in the air with my fingers. I've never seen anyone have so much difficulty pronouncing my name.


‘Zeke?”


“That's better!” I said.


She burst out laughing, which made me laugh as well. Her Spanish slang-peppered voice is growing on me.


We watched the rain, talking to each other and joking till the rain stopped.


***


“Hi, good evening, sir!” said the taxi driver as he rolled down the window.


“Could you please take me to 100-feet-road?


“Of course, sir? To La Perejil, I guess?”


I nodded and got into the cab. I've only known Isabel for two days, and I'm already missing her. I was quite preoccupied at work since I was thinking about her. And I'm sure that seeing her and talking to her again is the only way I'll be able to concentrate on my work. And I was on my way to meet her in La Perejil.


I walked into the posh restaurant. Isabel was sitting at a table, talking and joking with another girl her age who was sitting opposite her. She has a similar appearance to her, however, the other girl had reddish hair and ice-blue eyes.


When the other girl saw me approach her, she whispered something to Isabel and moved away.


"Hello, Isabel!"

I approached her and sat in the chair across from her.


“Wh-who are you?” she asked, her face puzzled and scared. "How did you find out what my name is? What are you doing?”


“Remember, my name is Zeke? Ezekiel? Isabel, it's me!” I explained myself and scribbled my name in the air.


“No, I don’t know you.”


I reached out to ruffle his hair, as I had done the first time we met. I knew she likes having her hair ruffled. But she was acting strangely, like if she didn't know who I was.


“Don't come near me! I'll call security if you t-touch me!” She muttered uncomfortably. She was gulping a lot. I didn't stay any longer. 


I dashed out the door, trying to keep my tears at bay. My heartfelt broken in such a way that it couldn't be healed. You shouldn't cry over a girl, Zeke! I was trying to tell myself this. But I couldn't since she had not only stolen but also broken my heart.


 I was startled to hear footsteps behind me. I first decided to ignore them. However, I suddenly heard someone clear their throat. I turned to see the icy-blue-eyed girl I'd seen with Bella and a guy standing near her.


“Are you Zeke?” Curious, the icy-blue-eyed girl inquired.


I brushed my tears away with my sleeves and murmured, “Yeah, how do you know who I am?”


“One day, Bella mentioned you a lot. Like, she would say 'Aww, Zeke is so adorable!' 'You know Zeke's philosophies are the best!'” She went on, almost imitating Isabel's voice. I couldn't stop blushing.


“I'm Bella's best friend, Amara!” she said as we shook hands. The guy walked over and shook my hand as well. “And this is Justin, Bella's cousin!”


“It's a pleasure to meet you, Zeke!”


“How could she do this to me, guys?” Even after I loved her in a way that no one else ever does? Like, ignore me and act as if she doesn't know who I am?” As I mumbled this, my voice cracked.


“I understand-”


“I see you're defending your friend. But you couldn't convince me, she broke my heart!”


“Oh, Zeke. Come on. It is not her fault, nor is it ours, nor is it yours, that she has Anterograde Amnesia.”


“What? You're kidding, right?” I was completely perplexed.


“No, Zeke, we're not. She has short-term memory loss,” Justin responded. Oh, no! Did I just misunderstand her? I got the feeling from their eye movement that they were telling the truth.


 “It was since that damn accident, she slowly started to forget stuff. It was in mine and her sophomore year, that it happened,” Amara told me.


“So she won't remember me at all, right?”


They paused for a long time before nodding sadly.


“Perhaps, I'm not worth enough to be the love of her life,” I explained. I'm not destined for her. Then I turned around and walked away.


“If she ever regains her memory, just tell her that I'll be waiting for her and that I love her so much that I'd give my life for her,” I mumbled this and then, wiped my wet cheeks.


“Wait, Zeke!”


I turned around.


“I think we can help you,” Justin said, as Amara and she walked towards me.


“Every day, Isabel interacts with a large number of people. And, of course, forget them the next day or in the present. However, she keeps a journal in which she writes about and photographs people she does not want to forget. These people mean a lot to her. Just like us. So, if she sees something special in you, she would undoubtedly include your name and image. As a result, when she read her journal, she would recall you,” Amara explained. 


I felt myself joyously glowing. They, too, grinned at me, glad that I was happy.


I dashed over to Justin and hugged him tightly. He gave a soft chuckle.


“Really, you'd help me with that?” I drew back and asked them.


“You're right, Brainy-boy! But you have to do exactly what we say, okay?” She told me cheerfully.


“Aye, aye, Cap'n Amara 'n Cap'n Justin!” As we burst out laughing, I chipped in.



***


Day 1: Mission Isabella



“Are you sure you remember everything?”

I nodded to Amara, who was quickly entering something on her phone.


“Bella said she'll be out in a few minutes. Don't be nervous, Brainy-boy. And say what you feel like, okay?”


“Dude, go get her!” Justin chipped in.


I gave them a gentle smile and began going towards La Perez, where I would meet my Bella. Please accept my apologies if I appear to be possessive. I fell in love with her the first time I met her. And I'm certain she's the one for me, and I hope I'm the one for her as well. I couldn't live without her, buddy. I'll still love her although she almost kicked me out last week. Because she had already stolen my heart.


When I noticed an ash-blonde head amidst the crowd, I knew it had to be Bella. She was probably waiting for a taxi in the side lane. She was waving at a cab, attempting to get it to stop. I dashed over to her as quickly as I could. But, before I could approach Bella, the cab came to a halt and she had already fled.


Shoot, I was only a few feet away from her! I let out a deep sigh, hoping that things would work out the next day.




Day 2: Mission Isabel



Today, I was resolved to talk to her and entertain her, increasing the likelihood of my appearance in her journal. This, in turn, causes her to remember me each time we meet!


I spotted Bella and ran up to her. I stopped because I was panting excessively. Before she could open the door, get into the taxi and leave, I exclaimed.


"Hey, Isabella!"

She turned around and smiled sweetly.


“Yes?”


"I'm a huge fan of yours." I got down on my knees, took out a carnation bouquet, and presented it to her.


"Aw, ¡¡Muchas gracias!! How did you find out that I love carnation flowers?" She seems pleased and amused. She took the bouquet in her hands and sniffed it, clearly loving the flower's aroma, just like I had thought.


"I'm sorry, but I have to leave. I'm in a bit of a hurry, "She responded before I could even begin a serious conversation with her. She got into the cab, and I watched helplessly as it drove away.



Day 5: Mission Isabel



“Oh, come on, guys. I’m fed up with this. I don't think it's possible,” I grumbled to Amara and Justin. It's been 5 days since I began attempting to put myself in her mind, and I must confess that creating yourself in someone's memory when the person will forget you the next possible moment is quite difficult.


“You can do it, dude. Have faith in yourself!” Justin remarked, encouraging me to try again and again. He nudged Amara in the elbows in an attempt to get her attention.


“Hey, dude, just let me hear 'Believer'!” Angry, she looked up from her tablet and removed her boAt airdopes.


“Oh, Brainy-boy, I'm so sorry! Imagine Dragons is my favorite band. Dude, you go get her!” She gave a cheeky smirk and continued to listen to 'Believer'.


“Okay, I’m gonna try for one last time, and if it won’t work out, I’m gonna stop this, okay?” I told them. To be honest, this is the third time I was saying that I’m gonna stop this. 


Just like usual, I ran to her and said that I’m a fan of hers. Then, I presented her with a bouquet. She was about to turn around and leave, then, I added one more thing.


“I sing a bit. And play the Uke too.”


She turned around, curiously.


“Wow, that’s cool! Which genre do you mostly sing?’


I thought a bit and continued, “Reggaeton and Pop. My favorite artists are Rauw Alejandro and Daddy Yankee.” 


“Me too. I mostly sing Reggaeton and me and my cousin are obsessed with Rauw and DY!” She continued, with a sweet smile.


“How about a coffee? I know a cafe here, so we could drink some coffee and have a music talk, just us two Rauw Alejandro fans,” I suggested, scratching the back of a neck. I’ve asked out a few girls before, but, I don’t know why I feel so awkward right now.


“Sounds good!” Cheerfully, she said.


***


"Aw! You guys are so cute! Ezebella!! Then, what happened? Where’s Zeke right now?"


Bella's smile faded slowly as she fiddled with a music box and twisted its key. As the music box began to play and the ballerina began spinning and twirling, she let out a deep, sad sigh.


“Alex, Life isn't what you think it is. Life is not a fairytale in which a Prince Charming appears and magically makes all of your dreams come true and all of your difficulties disappear. Life can be depressing, and if you can't deal with it, it can be more terrifying than death.”


"What's wrong? What happened? " Curious, I inquired.


Sadly, she whispered, "It's a big story. Now it's time to sleep, Alex. I need to finish the music boxes for tomorrow."


"Please, please, hermana! Please tell me the entire story!" I tried to make the puppy face I could think of.


With a little smile on her face, she reached out and ruffled my hair, before continuing with the story, "Okay, fine, I'll tell you the story." 


June 16, 2021 16:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

19:26 Jul 06, 2021

This story is very interesting, and the addition of the Spanish enhances it quite a bit. I am not a Spanish speaker, but the addition of a second language was not off-putting at all! :) A few critiques: 1) The storyline was slightly hard to follow, and it would help if you added some of the information from your explanation comment into the story. 2) There are some lengthy sections in the story where you use italics, and it doesn't really work there (not the Spanish--using italics for that definitely works). For some of the longer passag...

Reply

Ash S
07:04 Jul 09, 2021

Thank you for spending your time reading my story and leaving feedback on it! I'm glad that you liked my story. Actually, I'm also not a Spanish Speaker, but I love their language a lot ad their culture. That's why I decided to include Spanish in the story. I'm also learning Spanish!! I was actually above the word count and it was somehow that I submitted the story. So, that's why I included those eeny tiny important details there. I guess I have a thing for italics! haha lol :D Sure, next time, I'll try to reduce as many italics as possib...

Reply

12:29 Jul 09, 2021

Ah, the word count. Sometimes it's annoying, isn't it? Alas, a contest must have some parameters. :) And I agree--Spanish is such a lovely language with a lovely cultural background. I'm so glad I was able to brighten your day. :) It was a pleasure to read, and happy writing!

Reply

Ash S
16:16 Jul 09, 2021

♥️😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ash S
06:53 Jun 17, 2021

Hey guys!! Whew, story no 6 done! It took me about two weeks to write this. I don't know if this is worth the hard work of 2 weeks, but I had so much fun writing this. Here you go a playlist of my favorite Spanish songs. These songs influenced me a lot in writing this story: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3ZH3HEFNpkNxTCQmkfzuccsi=99d5f20ce7594142 Hope you like the story! (well, this one is not as good as my previous stories) P.S: Yay!! the previous week, Marvel released the first episode of 'Loki' TV series and I watched it!! I loved i...

Reply

Maraika!!! 😎
05:32 Jun 21, 2021

Wait wait wait *puts hands up in stop motion* Caleb proposed to Isabel on the first day of Highschool????!!!! Wouldn't they be like 15 or something?

Reply

Ash S
14:17 Jul 06, 2021

Lol, haha :D No, I mean, uh, what I tried to say is that Caleb asked Isabel to be his girlfriend. Yeah, they are 15

Reply

Maraika!!! 😎
06:29 Jul 07, 2021

LOL sorry I thought that he had like asked her to marry him and I was like "Dude your coming off a little strong here" Thanks for the clear up

Reply

Ash S
12:08 Jul 07, 2021

No worries! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:32 Jun 16, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ash S
01:03 Jun 17, 2021

Aww, thanks Sienna!! 🥰 (Spoiler Alert) But, in the end, she regains her memory, not completely but partially. I'm glad that you liked my story!!❤️❤️

Reply

Unknown User
02:30 Jun 17, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ash S
13:55 Jun 17, 2021

Which was your fav character, Sienna? I couldn't say one, I love all of my characters so much.

Reply

Unknown User
19:58 Jun 17, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ash S
00:18 Jun 18, 2021

🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.