Far From Home

Submitted into Contest #37 in response to: Write a story that takes place in the woods.... view prompt

10 comments

Mystery

The leaves crunch under my feet as I step. The wind howls in my face. I keep my chin up and my hands grip the straps of my backpack. I'm wandering far. Far from home.


I start to study the trees. They cast shadows on the moonlit path. The noises of the forest soothe me. My cheeks are flushed. The darkness takes me in, like a mother taking a child. I long to be home. But I am far from it.


They never wanted me anyway. Treated me like a stray. Filched my heart from me. I envied my friends, who had such loving families. Tears made their way to my chin. Sliding across my face, ever so delicately. I quietly detect a melody playing in the distance. I walk faster, drawn by the sound.


We are alone. Just me and nature. Side by side. The melody disappears and is replaced by crickets chirping. I notice a stream ahead of me. The water splashes around the jagged rocks. The sound of the owl's song fills the air. The stars twinkle above my head. Above the tall trees and large mountains is the night sky. Mesmerizing. I tilt my head up and gaze upward. The stars are like my home, I am far from them.


I leave the stream and continue on the path. Not a soul in sight. My mind is blank. Where am I? What am I doing? I am somewhere on this planet. My memories are gone. Vanished. I don't know who I am. Who I may be. With every step, I come closer. Closer to home. I must continue my journey.


My hands have turned to ice. The wind is fierce. The trees swirl around me. I start to tremble and clench my fists. It gets darker. I feel as if I'm walking in an empty void. Nothing. Alone. Dark. A lone bird is perched on a tree. Perhaps a nightingale. I can see its yellow eyes, glistening in the dark. I hunch my back. and duck my head. I keep on walking. I am far from home, but I will get there.


This strange, unusual feeling stabs my gut. Sadness. I feel as if I will fail. The animals at night are quiet, their eyes glowing in the darkness. Watching. My lips taste bland, no hint of life in them. The cuts on my knees burn with pain. The soles of my sneakers are loose. My feet can feel the rough path underneath. Home awaits me.


Tree branches crunch under my shoes. I gingerly step over roots and rocks, making my way ahead. There is a deadly silence. I can hear my breath. In and out. My eyes ache of looking in the darkness. I stop short and rub my eyes. I hear the crickets once again as I open my eyes. Strange music fills the air. I am close to home, though I am far from it.


Sometimes, I wish I didn't take this path. This path to find home. It is exhausting. Trekking through the night, filled with sorrow. Nature is my only friend. My only companion in this long journey. The pain inside of me grows, from my head to the soles of my feet. The trees sway alongside me. Dancing with the wind. Where is home? It may be near, but it's truly far.


I sing a song quietly to myself. The melody is lovely. The song pacifies my mind, letting go of all my worries. The bushes listen to my song and stir. My eyes are droopy, but I stretch them open. My mind is relaxed but focused. The nature around me is quiet, as I can only hear the song. A strange feeling gradually overtakes my body. The melody will lead me home. I must follow it.


The home I long for...what is it like? The serene melody disappears from my lips. This dark forest is the path. But what is the ending? Will it be peaceful? Calm? Will I finally feel something warm and tingly rushing through my veins? The sounds of nature are not enough for me. I need the melody. The melody to bring me home. I will be home. Sooner or later.


The moon shines bright in the night sky. A beautiful gem in the darkness. The stars twinkle beside the moon, none of them as bright as it. The moon is full, radiant as ever. Though it will disappear soon, it will still be there. The sun will overtake the darkness. The jewel of the night will be gone till sunset. Home. Somewhere out there.


I take a deep breath and a florid scent fills my nose. I observe clumps of bushes, barely visible alongside the black trail snaking through the undergrowth. My throat feels dry and my legs throb with every step. I hear a rustling sound behind me, but I am not fazed. I will survive. I'm almost there, but I'm far off.


The moon starts to fade, not as bright as it was. The sounds of the night get quieter snd quieter. The darkness lightens. The wind begins to rest. The trees stop swaying and are now still. The owls fly away in a rhythmic motion. In a flash, the scenery has shifted.


The path jerks upwards and I hike through the rocks and bushes. The first ray of dawn appears in the sky like a splash of paint on a canvas. I hear the flutter of wings around me. The crickets have run away. The path will end soon. I am so close, this time I'm sure of it.


I have come upon a cliff and I walk to the tip of it. Down below are the majestic mountains and streams. The greenery. The view was breathtaking. I look across and see the sun peeking from behind the hills. The sky has become a mixture of red, orange, and yellow. A waterfall splashes in the distance. It is so peaceful, so calm. I stand on the edge and look below. Closing my eyes, I step forward. I am home.









April 16, 2020 01:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Jeanne Marceau
05:41 Apr 25, 2020

Beautifully written!

Reply

Riddhi Shedge
16:16 Apr 25, 2020

Thank you! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katy S.
15:41 Apr 22, 2020

That's so sad, but well written!

Reply

Riddhi Shedge
16:10 Apr 22, 2020

Thank you so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Huls
16:43 Jan 15, 2021

wait... did the person fall off a cliff at the end??? I loved the story-Great detail, imagery, and emotion.

Reply

Riddhi Shedge
17:05 Jan 15, 2021

I believe so! Thank you so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chloe Alistar
06:14 May 03, 2020

Wow! This story was breath taking. The emotion, the imagery, the sensory details. Amazing job!

Reply

Riddhi Shedge
16:19 May 03, 2020

Glad you liked it! Check out my other stories such as: "Starry Night" and "The Four of Them" :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Azalea Silver
15:17 Mar 28, 2023

The finality of the words " I am home" really struck me. This was beautifully written, it's a masterpiece, if I'm being honest, the detail was especially good. I especially love the depth of sensations that was brought up as the MC walked though the forest.

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:14 May 23, 2022

I love your story my brother was scared but I loved it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.