To Break The Chain That Binds Me

Submitted into Contest #57 in response to: Write a story about someone breaking a long family tradition.... view prompt

0 comments

Historical Fiction Romance Drama

        “I won’t do it.” This is what Josie had been saying to her parents for the past ten minutes.

         They were all gathered in the sitting room and discussing Josie’s future.

         Her father removed a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped his perpetually damp forehead. “You must. It is tradition.”

         “Well tradition can die for all I care. It may have been tradition for you and my grandparents, and their parents, but I shall not subject myself to the same misery.” With every word, Josie’s perfectly coiffed hair shook.

         Josie’s mother stood up from the settee and placed a placating hand on her shoulder. “I know that you were intent on marrying Will, but we have someone much more suited in mind.”

         The ‘Will’ in question was, Mr. William Markwood, a man who also happened to be her betrothed. He was a wealthy man, but was now being deemed unsuitable due to his lack of title.

         It was tradition in her family that every daughter was to marry someone with a title. Mother said that it was that way so that any future children was well off, but Josie knew that it was really because they wanted to be part of the elite crowd. The few that were invited to the best banquets and balls.

         Josie’s older sister, Mirabelle, was married to a duke, and her younger sister was engaged to a marquis. Josie was the only one who did plan on marrying a titled man.

         She did not feel the need for the senseless tradition. It was not like William would not be able to provide her. He had plenty of money and several holdings that would keep them firmly established. This is what Josie had been trying, futilely, to explain to her parents.

         Her mother pulled the bell pull and waited for the maid to return with tea before continuing. “You must understand, child, that this is for the best.”

         Josie frowned and smoothed out the fabric of her full skirt. “The best for whom? I will be perfectly fine married to Will. He has all the finances we could ever need and some. Besides, he is well connected so you do not have to worry that I would be invited to plenty of balls.”

         Her father stood. “You will not be marrying William. I will not allow it. You are an earl’s daughter and you need to marry someone of a similar breeding.”

         Josie scoffed and stood as well. “I am not a horse so you need not speak of breeding. William and I will marry, Father, you have already given him your consent.”

         Her father blustered a moment before regaining his composure. “That was before I remembered the tradition. Don’t worry, dear, you will forget about William. I know you had somewhat of an infatuation with him, but it will pass. Soon, you shall be married to an earl or even a duke.”

         She glared at first her father and then her mother. They did not understand. Nothing could penetrate their minds besides money and titles. And she would not stand for it. Her sisters may have bowed to their wishes, but she would not. She loved William and planned on marrying, with or without their consent.

         She turned and stormed out of the room, all the way up to her room and shut the door. Her maid was standing inside, waiting to help her undress. “Mary, there shall be a change in plans. You must pull out one of my traveling bags and fill it with as much clothes as you can. Pack some of my jewelry in there as well.”

         She thought quickly, there would not be enough time to send word to Will, but she would have to ride to his estate and hope he understood. While her maid packed, she changed into a simpler dress and unpinned her hair.

         “Once you are done, I shall need your help with my hair. A simple chignon will do.”

         Mary nodded and put the last item in the bag. She started on Josie’s hair. “May I ask where you are going? I wasn’t aware of any upcoming trips. Will you require my services?”

         Mary was trustworthy, so Josie answered her questions. “It wasn’t planned, but I am going to meet with my betrothed. We are going to elope.”

         Mary gasped, but didn’t stop working on her hair. “What is the reason for the elopement, miss?”

         Josie spoke again, “My parents believe that I should be marrying someone with a title because it is a long-held tradition with my family, but I cannot do it. If I didn’t already love Will, I might have been willing. But I love him and will not marry anyone else.”

         After everything was in place and her family had all retired for the night, Josie snuck out. In her room, she left a note for her family explaining, but also told them that she would not be returning. She felt a little bit sad that she was leaving her family and sad also that they would not be attending her and Will’s wedding, but nothing could be done for it.

         After a half hour, she was at William’s estate. She took a deep breath before tapping the knocker against the door. In was soon opened by a sleepy butler. His eyes widened when he noticed her there.

         “Miss Josie, what are you doing here? So late at night.”

         Josie stepped in and spoke. “I must see William. Will you tell him to come down here, please?”

         He nodded, looking confused and more than a bit concerned, but he left and soon returned with Will.

         Will rushed up to her and allowed his butler to return to bed. He looked more concerned than the butler had been moments before. “What are you doing here?”

         She took a breath and then gave the speech she had planned on the ride over. “My parents want me to marry an earl or duke, but I can’t. I love you and want to marry you, so we must elope.”

         “What? When?”

         “Tonight. I wrote them a note explain everything, and I told them that I would not be coming back.”

         Will nodded. “I am happy to marry you now, but what about the tradition?”

         Josie grabbed his hand and smiled up at him. “Some traditions are meant to be broken sooner or later.”

August 31, 2020 00:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.