2 comments

Christian Drama

Excited, I ran around in circles as I thought of the excitement of going on an expedition. “How lovely to go to new lands and share the gospel so that they can come to know and accept the Lord Jesus Christ?” I mused, preparing to join this mission trip planned by Uncle Barnie and Elder Paul. I did not dare to tell anyone about it yet.

The wiry and energetic Elder Paul was sometimes a bit harsh. But I thought that I would be able to manage as my uncle Barnie will help me.

Why was I for this? Because the wonder and adventure of going to exotic places fueled me. Sharing the good news with people who have never heard it before, was what the Lord wanted us to do, I was sure. I ran to Uncle Barnie.

“Uncle Barnie, I want to join you both in this mission trip you are making,”

Flummoxed, Uncle Barnie gulped. He looked at me. “Are you joking, Mark? This is not a matter to trifle about”

“No Uncle, I am sure. I want adventure and excitement in my life. I am bored stiff with life here in Antioch. Let me go with you as we go to uncharted territories and share the gospel.”

“Dear Mark! It will not be only excitement and fun. You will have to work hard. We may face hardships and rejections. Some of the Pharisees may come to oppose our teachings. It may not be a hunky-dory type of trip, Mark. Please mark my words!”

I looked at him and smiled, “Please uncle.” I pleaded, “let me go with you guys and see life as it comes.”

“You must focus and be clear that you will continue with us till we finish and come back. Once you come with us, there should not be. Going back before we finish. Can you give me such an assurance?”

"Sure Uncle," I said as I gathered up the courage. I did have a few inhibitions, but I set them aside.

The packing, the prayers, and preparations went on, as we were leaving Antioch. The Church prayed for Uncle Barnie, and Elder Paul, ordaining them as missionaries. It was an emotion-choked prayer service at the Church. I was teary-eyed as I set out to be the servants of this great two-some.

We trekked down to Seleucia and boarded a ship sailing to Cyprus. I was so excited. Soon we arrived at Salamis. We journeyed through the island up to Paphos. Here we met an interesting character. He was a shaman, a magic man called Bar-Jesus, also known as Elymas. This fellow was a companion of the local Roman official, a Pro-consul, Sergius Paulus. This man was intelligent. Elymas somehow bamboozled him though.

The Pro-consul called for Barnabas and Paul, asking them to share the word of God so that he can hear it. But the shaman Bar-Jesus opposed this. He wanted to prevent the Proconsul from responding to the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I was close to the scene when this happened. Elder Paul looked straight at Bar Jesus. He discerned the spirit within this shaman. Paul declared, “You son of the devil, you are an enemy of all righteousness. You are full of all deceit and villainy, will you not stop making crooked the straight paths of the Lord?" He further said, "And now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you will be blind and unable to see the sun for a time."

Flabbergasted, I saw that blindness struck the fellow, suddenly! Unable to walk, he stumbled as he groped for the hands of his fellows. They led him away from that scene in fear

This miracle brought the Proconsul to the Lord. He believed as he saw first-hand, the power of the Lord Jesus Christ.

We set sail from Paphos and went ahead in our journey. We disembarked at Perga, in Pamphylia.

As was their wont, the apostles shared the Word with the indwelling Spirit’s help. The people in the synagogue there heard them with interest. They asked for more such teaching.

The next Shabat, the entire city almost came to listen. The Jews were envious of these crowds. Jealous, they started to contradict Paul and revile him when they failed to do so.

Uncle Barnie and Paul spoke out boldly. They said, “It was necessary that we share the word of God with you first. But as you are thrusting it aside, you are judging yourselves unworthy of eternal life. So, we have no option but to turn to the gentiles and share this good news of salvation with them. We have this command of the Lord. ‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’ ”

The Gentiles began to believe in the gospel. I anticipated a hostile response by the Pharisees and Jews. What will the aftermath be, I wondered. Rather foolishly, I assumed that those fellows will harm us.

Panicked, I pleaded with Uncle Barnie and left Paphos. I fled to Jerusalem. I was shivering with fright through the journey.

Almost at the end of that year, I went to Antioch. Paul and Barnabas had completed their first missionary journey. They came to deliver their report to the Church. Filled with a sense of remorse and sorrow, I listened to their report. Paphos, my fright and flight to Jerusalem, were bitter in my memory. How wonderfully the Lord delivered Uncle Barnie and Paul and used them, I thought.

I mused as I sat in the congregation. My thoughts submerged me. Walking about the familiar streets of Antioch, I prayerfully thought about my past. I rededicated myself to the cause of Christ. “Lord, help me be your servant, come what may.” I prayed on my knees, “Let me not turn back as I did so at Paphos, last time.”

Having had a difficult year, I resolved to give myself a fresh start. “I will go ahead with the next missionary journey. I will stay true till the end,” that was my resolution as a new year dawned in front of me. New Year, new resolve. “May the Lord bless my determination.,” I whispered to the Lord. My legs walked along the familiar way, the way to Uncle Barnie’s home.

December 27, 2021 08:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Bonnie Clarkson
22:41 Dec 27, 2021

This is better than some of the first of your stories that I read. Couple of suggestions. "opposed this. He" could be omitted and replaced with "wanted to prevent". It is just unecessary repition. "submerged me." I assume not water. You could add an emotion here: "in regret", "in memories", "in longing to go back". Keep writing.

Reply

Anthony David M
16:53 Jan 05, 2022

Thank you Bonnie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.