1 comment

Mystery

 “Here kitty, kitty.”

Stupid cat won’t even come when you call it.

“Here Rusty. Here kitty, kitty.”

Mom loves that orange cat more than she does me. Why ask me to get it when she knows if she calls it’ll come running.

“Here kitty, kitty.”

I’ve got better things to do than find Rusty. I could be talking to Clarisse. I’m the luckiest guy in the world, except for this cat. Where is it?

A flash of orange near the old barn. What is that cat doing out there?

“Come here Rusty, don’t go in the barn.”

That insane cat jumped right through a hole in the wall. It’s like I’m not even here. I hate being ignored, even if it’s just a cat. I really don’t want to go in the barn. Walls broken and leaning. The roof is half on top and half in the barn, rusty sheets of tin twisted with holes, the rafters showing through in spots. The door is held to the frame by one hinge, its corner touching the ground as it leans against what is left of the wall, like a drunk. It reminds me of dad. The only thing solid in this barn is the stone foundation.

I step through the door and see the cat’s tail disappearing under a pile of boards near the back wall.

“Rusty you come back here right now.” Of course he doesn’t. Now what?

The Sun will set soon and the barn is getting darker every minute. I start moving boards old, grey, and rough. There’s a hole under the boards. It looks like there had been a door and it had collapsed. Maybe, an old root cellar. My Pastor likes to give things to the congregation. This past Sunday he gave out pens that had a soft rubber tip on the cap, and a pen light on the bottom. I pull it out, turn it on, and look in the hole.

‘Here kitty, kitty. Come on Rusty don’t make me come down there.”

Shining the light into the hole I see some shelves, but no cat. To my left, half buried by part of the roof, is a step ladder. I dig it out and slide it into the hole. It’s old, but being aluminum I think it’ll hold me. Cautiously I climb down. Standing on the dirt floor, I shine my light around. On the floor near the ladder there’s a slab of wood, probably the door. It looks pretty rotted. The walls are all stone and seem to be solid. It sure is dusty. Every step kicks up a cloud. Shelves with some stuff on them lean against two walls.

“Here Rusty. Here kitty, kitty.” No response of course.

In the corner there’s a shadow that may be another hole. Knowing how that crazy cat thinks I walk over to it. Kneeling, I point my light into the hole, it looks like another room. Getting on my hands and knees I crawl in. I’m able to stand, it’s not a room it’s a cave. Cool.

Stalactites hang from the roof and Stalagmites rise from the floor. A path winds between them into the darkness. Six months we’ve lived here and I never imagined finding something like this. I’ve got to check it out. The penlight is bright, and I’ve got my cell phone, I should be alright.

Slowly I follow the dim path. It’s hard to see, but definitely a path. Looking ahead I see that the passage narrows. That makes me a little nervous but I can handle it. It’s only narrow for about twenty feet and then begins to widen. I take a deep breath. I didn’t realize how fast I’d been breathing. Slowing my breathing down I spot what looks like a torch sticking out of the wall to my right. I step over and grab it. I’ve got a lighter, and this could give me the light I need to explore further. It doesn’t come out of the wall, but it does pull down.

A loud “thump” comes from behind me and a cloud of dust pushes past me. My heart is racing and I’m breathing fast again. I walk back but can’t go very far. There’s a big rock filling the passage. Top to bottom, and side to side. It looks like there was never a path. I go back to the torch and push it up, hoping the stone will rise. Nothing happens. I need help. Pulling out my cell phone I try to call Clarisse, mom never answers her phone. I can’t tell if it’s getting through. I think I hear Clarisse’s voice.

“I’m trapped under the old barn get some help,” I yell into the phone like that’s going to help her hear me. I move around the area trying to get a signal, but I can’t find one.

Now what! There had to be a reason for the path. I’ll follow it and see if I can find a way out. I have to stop and get my breathing under control. Hyperventilating isn’t going to help.

                                               .    .    .    .    .

Clarisse grabbed the phone excitedly saying; “Hi Leo.” Static answered her, than a brief hollow sounding ‘old barn,’ then nothing. Looking at the phone as if to say what’s wrong with you, Clarisse dialed Leo’s number. Please leave a message at the tone. Beep. What’s going on Leo, call me now. She hung up and waited. Ten minutes with no answer. Calling again and getting the same response began to scare her.

“Mom. I’m going to Leo’s house, be back in a little while.”

“Ok. Supper will be ready in an hour, so be back by then.”

“I’ll try.”

“You better do more than try Clarisse.”

“Yes ma’am.”

Leo’s house is just down the road, easy walking distance. But in a moment she’s running.

                                               .    .    .    .   .

The path seems to go on forever. It’s dry, but cool. I’m glad I’ve got my jacket. Rounding a corner there’s a fork. Two openings and the path seems to have disappeared. This is going from bad to worse. Then, I remember an old movie about a guy getting lost in a cave trying to figure out which way to go. He took his lighter and stood in the center of each opening. The flame had moved where air was flowing and he followed that passage out of the cave. It can’t hurt to try. Stepping to the middle of the left passage I flip my lighter on. The flame stands straight and tall. I step to the passage on the right and flip it on. I think it moved but can’t really tell. As the light flickers I see an arrow high on the wall pointing down the passage, its cut into the wall. I’ll take it. Someone’s been down here. Looking at my watch, I’ve only been in this cave a half hour. Mom probably hasn’t even realized I’m gone.

The pen light is starting to die. I can’t see details very well, but can see where to step. Finally, I have to use the flashlight setting on my phone. The light is so bright that for a moment it blinds me. I hadn’t realized how dim the penlight had gotten. The passage has been winding but now turns sharply to the right. Another room, but there’s stuff in this room.

A couple of beds lean against one wall, a rough table in the center. Two benches, one standing, the other turned over, are on each side. Cups and plates are on the table, but nothing like I’ve ever seen before. A rifle leans against the wall. What in the world is going on? That rifle looks like an old flintlock. My dad used to hunt with one. I walk over and pick it up. I can tell it hasn’t been touched in a long time. The barrel is rust covered and the stock is rotten in spots. I set it down and step to the beds, they have some kind of mattress. I touch it and the cloth comes apart. Inside is cornhusks. Everything is old. I take pictures of everything. I’ll come back if I can, but first I’ve got to find a way out. Whoever had stayed here had gotten out somehow. I just hope it wasn’t the way I’d come.

                                               .    .    .    .    .

Clarisse pounded on the door.

It opened after just a moment. A tall, spare woman stood looking out.

“Hi Clarisse, I wasn’t expecting you this evening. Leo is out here somewhere looking for Rusty.”

“That’s why I’m here Mrs. Tolbert. Leo tried to call me but nothing really came through. I’ve tried to call him several times and he hasn’t answered. I was hoping maybe his phone was just dead. I think he said old barn but I’m not sure.”

Mrs. Tolbert stepped to the edge of the porch; “LEO” she yelled.

Rusty jumped onto the porch right at Clarisse’s feet, causing her to squeal.

“LEO” Mrs. Tolbert yelled again.

No answer. Now she began to get scared. Turning to Clarisse she said, “Come on, we’ll get some flashlights.”

                                               .    .    .    .    .

I left the room behind and soon came to another split. I tried the lighter again and this time in the right hand passage the flame leaned. Looking up on the wall there was an arrow. Hope was rising, but my phone was beginning to dim. I could only go so fast. Then, I came to a hole, I’m glad I was moving slow. I would have stepped off into space and that would have killed me. The floor dropped about twenty feet. I leaned over the edge, trying to see a way down. What I saw scared me. I don’t scare easily, but I was about at the end of my rope. Which, I wish I had some rope. Holes had been cut into the wall below me. I can’t climb down and hold the light at the same time. I would have to slide over the edge feel for the holes and work my way down, without a light. Sitting down above the holes I turn off my phone and stick it in my pocket. Absolute darkness. I can’t see my hand in front of my face. I get on my belly and slide over the edge, my weight on my forearms. I feel with my toe for a hole. It takes a moment and I’m beginning to sweat. Finally, I find one, than another. I let my weight rest on my toes for a moment, then search for another toe hold. Slowly I work my way down. Part of the way down my toe slips and I almost lose my grip. Clinging to the rock I find a tiny ledge. It’s hard to start down again. I’m starting to shake, and I can’t tell how far I have to go. I search for the next spot and continue down. When I reach the bottom and turn on the phone I have to sit down. My muscles are trembling, my heart is racing, and I’m soaked with sweat.

                                               .    .    .    .    .

 

 “You thought you heard old barn, right.”

“Yes ma’am,” answered Clarisse.

“Ok, let’s head that way. LEO,” she shouted. 

No answer.

The old barn looked creepy in the light of the flashlights. Strange angles and shadows. Rusty didn’t help, running up and leaping through a hole in the side of the barn. Both ladies jumped.

Entering and shining their lights around, they didn’t see anything. Walking deeper Mrs. Tolbert saw the hole.” Leo,” she cried as she rushed forward and pointed her light down. Nothing but a room and a ladder. They looked at each other and climbed down. Shining their lights around it didn’t take long for them to find the second hole. Looking at each other, Clarisse stating the obvious. “You know he would.”

Mrs. Tolbert leaned into the hole and yelled, “LEO.”

No answer.

She crawled in, Clarisse following. Standing, they found themselves in the cave. They saw tracks in the dust pointing into the darkness.

“Should we follow or go get help?” asked Clarisse.

“He could be hurt. If we don’t find him soon we’ll get help,” said Mrs. Tolbert.

Trailing him by the tracks was slow, but eventually they came to a narrow part of the cave. Ten feet down this narrow part was a rock wall.

“I don’t understand. His tracks lead right to this wall.” said Mrs. Tolbert, her face looked worried and puzzled at the same time. “There aren’t any tracks going the other way”

“We know he was here, but how could he just disappear?” asked Clarisse.

“I don’t know. We’re going back and get some help. I’m going to find Leo.” Turning, Mrs. Tolbert and Clarisse started back the way they had come.

                                                           .    .    .    .    .

Slowly I get up, I can’t just sit here. Making my way down the passage it turns left and in the center a stalagmite and stalactite, pearly white in the light, stretch from the floor and the ceiling almost touching,. A drop of water falls from the stalactite. How long has it taken to create such beauty? Moving on, another fork. I don’t need the lighter this time. I can feel air flowing down the left passage. Hope is rising. Winding my way through the passage I hear something. Stopping, I listen. Again I hear something. It sounds like a car. Rounding another corner I see a light ahead. I did it. I found a way out. It looks like a big ground hog hole. Pushing and pulling dirt and the roots overhead I open the hole big enough to get through. Standing up I take a deep breath. The quarter moon throws a pale light over the landscape. There are trees and bushes all around. A creek is about fifty feet down the hill. Down the valley about a hundred yards or so is a bridge. I know where I am, that’s Wolf Creek Bridge on 24. Grabbing my phone I call Clarisse.

                                               .    .    .    .    .

As Clarisse was climbing the ladder her phone rang. Figuring it was mom, she waited till she got off the ladder to look at it. “LEO” she shouted as she answered.

“Put it on speaker,” Leo’s mom said.

“Leo, where are you? What happened? We’ve been looking for you. Are you alright.”

“Hold on Clarisse let me answer.”

“James Leopold where are you?” Mrs. Tolbert said in a no nonsense of voice.        

“Oh, hi mom. I’m at Wolf Creek Bridge on 24. Can you two come get me?”

“We’ll be there in a few minutes, don’t you go anywhere.”

“Yes ma’am, I’ve got to get off…”

                                               .    .    .    .    .

My phone died. Well this should be interesting. How did Clarisse end up with mom? Walking to the bridge I waited. What do I do about the cave? There’s a lot to think about. There’s mom’s car.

                                               .    .    .    .    .

Clarisse and Mrs. Tolbert run to the house. It only takes a moment for Mrs. Tolbert to get her purse. They jump in the Sonata. In minutes, they are at the bridge and see Leo standing at a pull-off at the end of the bridge. Clarisse jumped out of the car as it came to a stop, running to Leo, she hugged him tightly. Mrs. Tolbert wasn’t far behind.

Holding Leo by his shoulders, she looked him up and down. Taller than her, his brown hair has dirt in it. His clothes are filthy and his boots are scuffed. He seems to be ok.

“I’m ok Mom,” Leo said grinning, his green eyes twinkling.

“What happened to you?’

Standing there with an arm wrapped around Clarisse, Leo said, “Let’s go home, I’m tired. I’ll explain everything there. But one thing I know for sure, if you want Rusty, you can go get him. I’m not chasing that cat anymore.”

February 28, 2020 03:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Steve Garay
03:05 Feb 28, 2020

I enjoyed this weeks writing prompts and incorporated three of them into this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.