A Surprising change of attitude

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Start your story with an ending and work backward toward the beginning.... view prompt

0 comments

Black Christian Fiction

Etim, aren't you joining us? Tom asked almost unmindedly, "No!" Etim answered without adding any more words. "Maybe he isn't feeling really well or he hasn't eaten since morning" Tom thought to himself before taking his eyes off him.

Etim was in a weekly meeting with his friends. The group was about fundraising and financial support to her members. In the group, if you are a registered member and you had any event or ceremony, you will inform the group officially with a bottle of wine, and all the members will contribute a particular amount of money to you. But even without a member having a ceremony, the group do meet on Thursdays to discuss new ideas and the way forward for the group. Apart from the contribution they make for a member who has a ceremony, all members of the group do contribute a fixed amount of money every week to help fund the group's purse. Such money is used for charity or if need arises, to help a member who is desperately in need of money.

Mr Tom was inviting Etim to join them in their table where they were drinking some strong alcoholic beverages and most of them were even smoking cigarettes. Though Etim's refusal to join them wasn't taken personally by anyone, it was a bit Surprising that he could boldly say no to alcohol.

The following week, they conveyed again for their usual weekly meeting. A whole lot of issues were being addressed and Etim even came up with an idea, "My opinion is that we should always celebrate and enjoy ourselves every once in a while, what I mean is that we should set out specific times that we could drink, eat and reignite our love for each other. We can even colour it up by sharing gift items among ourselves" Etim said after he lifted up his hand.

"Wow, that's a nice idea" exclaimed Mr Tom, the chairman of the group after listening to Etim. Thanks so much Mr Etim for that great idea and we will definitely start to implement it as soon as possible.

"The Great Minds Association (TGMA)" was a great organization to be in. Their detailed planning and contributions goes a long way in uplifting the members. The love shared among the members could be discribed as a pure and genuine love because they seemed to trust and believe in each other so much. The took each other's challenges and experiences as their own.

But they never seemed to include God in anything they did. They could not even pray before or after any meeting. Why? The reason being that the founder of the group Mr. Tom didn't want the group to turn to a religious one and moreover, the purpose of the group was to accommodate people of different and diverse religions, so he didn't intend to bring any religious differences

Etim had taken a personal decision to stop drinking alcohol. The reason for this decision was best known to him alone. After this decision, he had attended several meetings with TGMA but none of his fellow members seemed to really notice that he hasn't been indulging in alcohol all those while.

Then on one fateful meeting day, Mr Tom called Mr Etim aside and both of them were sitting on the table alone and discussing. In front of them was a bottle of branded whiskey and two small glasses. Mr Tom poured the drink it the glasses, carried one and also expected Etim to carry the other one but to his greatest surprise, Etim didn't even touch the glass the whole time they were discussing.

Amazed at what he saw, he winked and said playfully, "Don't Tell me that you don't drink alcohol anymore! "Yes I stopped indulging 2 months ago, and don't tell me you just notice it now" Mr Etim said smile. " Yes, I just notice it now for the very first time" Mr. Tom said and gave him a pat on the back.

" I wouldn't ask you the reason for this decision because I do know that Change is the only constant thing in life, no one could believe that you Etim of all people can really stop drinking alcohol" Mr Tom exclaimed playfully.

"Yea I have changed and I haven't regretted about it" Mr Etim said as they both walked away laughing.

Eventually, all the other members of the group and even Mr Etim close friends and family members got to know about his change of attitude. Etim that everyone knows, was a man that loves drinking. He could even go extra miles to make sure that he has a good alcoholic beverage inside his fridge. His motto was "Instead of me to lack alcohol, let me lack food"

Mr Etim was married with 3 children. After several failed attempts to convince her husband to stop drinking alcohol, Mrs Etim finally gave him his way and resorted to praying to God that he should change him for her.

On some occasion, he will come back to the house drunk, looking so scattered and lousy. On such occasions, his wife will help him to the bathroom, give him a warm bath and make sure he sleeps before doing any other things. The aftermath of such days were always advise heaped on upon advice from his wife.

When his wife noticed about his change of attitude, she was so excited but resented that she should give it time to really prove whether her husband has truly changed.

Three months passed and Mr Etim remained faithful to his decision. This got his wife really excited and she thanked God so passionately because she believed that it was God that changed her husband.

Even Kingsley, thier eldest child was also excited for his dad's change of attitude. He had always looked at his dad as the perfect example of a man he wants to become if not for this particular bad habit. Mr Etim was a very renowned man. Very honest, respectful, and he was best known for his integrity. He didn't joke with his words.

On one of their meetings in TGMA, one of his colleague even joked that he was only taking a break and will eventually start drinking again in the nearest future. Mr Tom would always test him by serving him alcoholic beverages once he visits him on his office. "You have truly change o" was always his remark when Etim refuses to drink.

Etim's wife decided to test him one Sunday evening. She cooked his favorite dish, pounded yam and put a lot of meats. After everything, she invited him to the dining table and disclosed the suprise to him. They ate and ate until they were full and just when Mr Etim wanted to carry water and drink, his wife exclaimed, " A chill glass of alcoholic beverage will go a long way in digesting such a sumptuous meal! "But you know that I stopped drinking anything alcoholic sometimes ago. Why are you now saying that? Or are you trying to tempt me??

"No no no! How can I tempt you? I was only joking and I wanted to see your reaction" Mrs Etim replied playfully. The both laughed and continue eating

It was at this juncture that Mrs Etim was truly convinced that her husband has truly changed.

In amazement, she exclaimed " Change is the only constant thing in life and people should not always be judged by their past because someone can definitely change without announcing it on the radio".

April 15, 2021 12:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.