The Perfect Investment

Submitted into Contest #260 in response to: Write a story with a big twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

Her husband's voice boomed with anger through the phone as he yelled at the top of his lungs. Despite her awareness that there was no reason to be afraid, an inexplicable fear crept over her. She closed her eyes tight, her breathing heavy, and her body quivered. Because of his volatile behavior, fear became her constant companion since the day she got married. She was the puppet, and he was her master. He had dictated every walk of her life.

Despite the warning signs during their courtship, she overlooked them in the haze of love. Then, he seemed like the right person for her.

Even though her family and friends pointed out his erratic behavior, she still married him. Love blinded her. He promised to improve, and she believed him, but he never did. When things didn't turn out how she hoped, her family asked her to leave him, but she refused. Her naiveness clouded her judgment. He got worse and worse. She got used to his behavior and adapted to please him as time passed.

He also coerced her to isolate herself from her loved ones, believing their presence would impede their relationship. They tried to reach out, but she stopped answering their calls or replying to their messages and avoided public encounters with them. They kept their distance from her because her behavior was so off-putting. Now, she was alone, fighting an everyday battle with the man she married.

"Did you hear what I said?"

"Sorry."

"Get the money back."

She didn't reply. Whenever she took any money, she sought her husband's approval so his anger didn't take her aback.

''Why didn't you ask me before taking the money?''

She remained quiet, her lips pressed together.

''You better get that money back. Did you hear me?"

"I can't."

''What did you say?''

''I can't.''

"You can't?"

"I already gave the money."

"I don't care what you do. I want the money back."

"It's a profitable investment."

"What you know about investment, you stupid woman?"

"A high rate of return with little risk. You can even retire early."

"There are a lot of Ponzi scams out there, and I am sure this is one of them. No one can retire with a single investment. How foolish can you be?"

"I know what I am doing."

"Do you?"

"It's..."

"I still find it hard to believe you will use my money without my permission."

"I thought it was our money."

"I work for it. It's my money that I share with you. Remember that. You bring nothing to the table. You're just a useless housewife."

"I wanted to work, but you never allowed it."

"Don't change the subject. You should have asked me before taking the money."

"I didn't bother asking 'cause I wanted it to be a surprise."

"Congratulations, you did more than surprise me. You almost gave me a heart attack."

"I didn't mean to."

"I don't care what you do, but I want my money back."

"He is reliable. The money is in excellent hands.''

"He! So you have been seeing another man behind my back?"

She let out a sigh. "It's for the future. A good investment."

"Stop speaking."

"Please ..."

"Shut up and listen. I expect the money back once I arrive home. Do you understand?"

"But ..."

"Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"Good. You know what I will do to you if you don't get the money back."

"Yes."

"Never again do anything without my permission. Got it?"

"Yes."

The sudden slam of the phone reverberated in her ear, causing a sharp pang of discomfort. She took a deep breath, a mix of exhilaration and guilt seeping into her. It was the first time she did something without her husband's permission. He wasn't supposed to find out about the investment, and she wouldn't have faced his wrath if she had been more cautious. She could not get the money back and didn't want to, even if she could. The investment was impeccable, and her husband could never fathom its value.

A blast of cold air rushed out as she opened the freezer, causing a shiver to run down her spine. Her husband made it a habit of giving her precise instructions on what to cook before he left for work each morning. She grabbed the fish and slammed the freezer door. She stood there without moving. The icy fish numbed her fingers. Her husband's angry voice resonated in her mind. She hesitated for a second, unsure of what to do. Then she opened the freezer, placed the fish inside, and rubbed her hands together for warmth. Her eyes settled on the frozen chicken. She was going to rebel. He craved the delicate taste of fish, and she would cook chicken.

She wasn't her usual self today. She was slacking off. If her husband were at home, he would point out that she was neglecting her responsibilities and wasting time. The chicken was still swimming in the piping hot oil, and the vegetables remained untouched on the chopping board. Her eyes darted towards the wall clock, noting the steady tick-tock of its hands. It was soon time for her husband's return, and the pressure mounted to have dinner ready. He had zero tolerance for lateness and never compromised. He demanded that everything be done according to his preferences, but she no longer cared. Like a turbulent sea, she was in constant motion, with emotions crashing and subsiding.

Startled, she jumped when the doorbell rang, breaking the silence in the house. Her eyelids fluttered shut as she inhaled, hoping to alleviate her nerves. She started moving toward the front door as her emotions were at war, torn between the thrill of excitement and the gripping fear. Stopping in her tracks, she took a slow breath, attempting to steady herself and find solace in the rhythm of her breath.

"I can do this." She slapped her face over and over again. ''It's a perfect investment; I have no regrets. I just need to focus."

She had never done something like this before, but again, there was a first time for everything. Without any hurry, she took her time to reach the door.

A confused expression masked her face, carefully crafted to deceive the two people before her. She had to be cautious. There should be no room for suspicion. They spoke; she listened. When they paused, tears streamed down her face as she sank to the floor, clutching the doorknob for support. The policewoman held her as she wailed. It wasn't sadness that brought tears to her eyes but a sense of liberation that overwhelmed her. She had at last escaped the suffocating hold of her husband.

"I am sorry for your loss." The male officer gave out a sad smile.

"I made dinner for him. Fried chicken. My husband likes chicken."

Unsure of how to respond to the condolences, she gave redundant information.

"Is there someone who can accompany you to the mortuary?"

Memories of family and friends she hadn't contacted in ages consumed her thoughts. Would they be happy that she had reached freedom? A smile almost formed on her face, but she started weeping again. Even if a celebration of independence occurred within her, she had to play the role of a grieving wife.

"You can even come in the morning."

"No. Let's do it now. Give me a minute. I need to switch off the pot.'' She wiped her tears away, leaving a trail of dampness on her skin.

Her hand shot up to cover her mouth as she shrieked and pointed at the dead man, her eyes widening in recognition of her husband. It was all an act. There wasn't an ounce of sadness or guilt. She had upheld her end of the bargain by taking the vow, "Till death do us part," at the altar during their wedding. It was his time to go away from her life. She had no regrets about spending their savings. It was an excellent investment indeed. She didn't lie to her husband. Her intention was obvious. She had sent her husband to his early retirement, away from her, and secured a promising future for herself. She had imagined killing her husband multiple times and even attempted once while he was asleep. Her hands inched close to his face, but the tremble intensified, making it difficult for her to carry out her plan to smother him with a pillow. She wasn't capable of murdering him. So someone else had to do it. Hiring a hitman seemed like the perfect investment for her emancipation. Freed from her husband's oppressive control, she could breathe again.

July 26, 2024 14:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.