New Year's resolution Kiss

Submitted into Contest #179 in response to: End your story with a kiss at midnight.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Speculative

New Year's resolution Kiss

With a bag over his shoulder, Dave walked into the coffee shop he'd been visiting for years. Greeted by the owner, "Hey Dave, good morning. It's December 31. What's your resolution?"

Smiling, Dave said, "Good morning! I don't usually make resolutions. I have enough distractions without fabricating more."

"I hear you. I'll get your coffee started." Returning to the conversation about the coming year, "It seems that resolutions could be about generating wistful hopes rather than looking sincerely at how an individual wishes to be."

"I agree, and I don't want to generate any gratuitous wistfulness. That usually implies that I'm seeking to improve myself somehow and probably not happy with me. If something is missing in my life, December 31 is as good a day as any other to examine how I might include this absent piece. Actually, I don't think there's anything absent in my life." Turning towards the fireplace and raising his cup, Dave said, "Thanks for the coffee." Dave opened his book as soon as he took a seat by the fire savoring the quiet solitude of the early morning coffee shop.

The owner watched him take a seat in the empty shop. "You are welcome, Dave. Happy New Year!"

Dave pulled his newest book out of his bag and tried to get lost in reading but kept returning to the thought of things missing and lifted his gaze to the flickering flames as if they might be concealing some inadequacy. What if I think my life is complete, but I'm just not bold enough to thoroughly examine my life and honestly voice some scarcity to myself? Simply declaring some hollow pledge about losing weight or quitting smoking might give the impression of resoluteness to another person but won't ever include an internal commitment of my spirit. Dave smiled, thinking, Not that I smoke or need to lose weight. He shrugged off the concept that he might probe deeper into the subconscious and find an objective truth that could display some lack. I don't need some hopeful distraction to parade. With that resolution, Dave turned back to his novel.

A woman entered the shop, shivering the snow off her wool jacket, saying, "Happy New Year!"

The owner saluted back with, "Happy New Year to you. Can I make you a coffee?" The woman approached the counter, nodding.

Dave merely looked up from his book at the woman as she walked passed on her way to retrieve her coffee, noting the snow melting into black curls resting on the southwestern design of her jacket.

She turned from the counter with coffee in hand, nodding at the owner, saying, "Thank you."

She took a few steps toward the flickering flames and pointed to the book in Dave's lap, saying, "That's an awesome book. I love that author. Do you mind if I sit near the fire to warm up?"

He pointed at the chair next to him. "Not at all." Minding good manners, he introduced himself. "I'm Dave."

Offering a hand to shake. "Rebecca." Indicating the book again. "Have you read any of his other novels?"

Dave looked at the ceiling to count. "This is the fourth one I'm reading from him."

Rebecca offered, "I especially liked how the characters in that book figured out how not to waste any time engaging in the things that brought them joy. I thought it was compelling how the author introduced that idea, and it kind of fits in with the resolutions people are trying to make today. So many resolutions focus on what people don't want and miss the critical aspect of simply ensuring you're doing what brings you joy."

Dave nodded, saying, "Right! It's like making a promise to yourself or others about something you think you should be doing and not even considering what might be the right choice for you. I think people often make resolutions with an eye to what others might think is right."

Pointing at his book again, "Exactly. Resolutions seem worthless because they lack the personal commitment coming from the blissful joy of simply doing things that may not harmonize with the rest of humanity but are perfect for you. I'm not saying to look for and just follow concepts you know society thinks are wrong: Eating sugar, drinking alcohol, and ordering fast food, but resolutions certainly don't need to be the sorrowful process we've made them. It's too easy to pick one of those things you're doing that society thinks is wrong and declare not to do it anymore. Maybe you affirm to eradicate the unhealthy by taking the 'wholesome' route." Rebecca made air quotes when she said the word, wholesome.

Dave bobbed his head while looking at his watch, saying, "You're so right. I've got an appointment right now, but if you're free, maybe we can talk some more over dinner."

"Absolutely. Where were you thinking?"

Dave told Rebecca the name of his favorite restaurant and explained the location. "How’s nine p.m. for you?”

“Great. I’ll see you there.”

Dave waved to the coffee shop owner on his way out. “Thanks for the coffee.”

Dave pulled into the parking lot of the Italian restaurant at 8:45, so he could order his favorite bottle of red wine. He fleetingly thought, Maybe Rebecca would enjoy the red wine too. Dave pondered the missing aspect of a significant other in his life. Probably the most common resolution is to find or include that special someone.

Rebecca arrived at the table a little after nine with a menu in her hand. Nodding at Dave, saying, “Yes, a glass of red wine would be awesome, thanks.”

Taking a small sip of her wine and set it down with a loud “Ahh.” Tilting her head at Dave, “I was pondering resolutions a bunch today, and it seems they fail because the individual doesn’t communicate with their inner personality to find out what’s right for them. It’s like making a crucial decision for a child who doesn’t know what’s beneficial or can’t communicate. However, your inner being can completely communicate what it needs.”  

Dave looked thoughtfully at the ceiling with an inhale. “I think I see what you mean. I believe resolutions are hollow because they tend to focus on negatives like I’m overweight, so the remedy is I need to spend an hour a day on a treadmill. There seems to be a fundamental disconnect that a resolution requires. People perceive some random evil and apply what they see as a proper fix, but that random evil may not even pertain to them. That's why I see a disconnect whenever anyone mentions new years resolution. People tend to rest their hopes on the random disconnect they’ve created. I see the chances of the positive thing happening as roughly equivalent to being struck by lightning, but people routinely make these resolutions.”

Rebecca nodded, saying, “I agree. We all hope for magic in our lives. But making magic happen and hoping magic will find us are two profoundly different things. I think wishing for magic is naïve and the basis of most resolutions.”

The waiter interrupted to set their plates down while Dave refilled the glasses. The conversation got quiet as they enjoyed their meals. The two chatted quietly about the events in town and the local weather.

As they were headed for their cars, Dave said, “This was very nice. I’d like to do this again.”

Rebecca leaned into Dave for her new year’s kiss, saying, “How about tomorrow?”

Since it was dark, Dave’s blush didn’t show. He nodded, asking, “Eight o’clock?”

“Great. I’ll see you at the coffee shop.”

Rebecca got into her car quietly as her dog, Sadie, was sleeping in the back seat. It was a short drive back to her warm and safe little cabin. As they walked toward the front door, Rebecca told Sadie, “I appreciate that you gave me the notion that I am the significant other I sought. I made many resolutions that lacked the one vital piece that I am the most significant part. The part I never took into account when making resolutions, but now I can easily include the things that are most healthy for me and bring me joy.” Noticing Sadie was intently watching her face, Rebecca reached for the bag of dog treats. Offering one to Sadie, Rebecca said, “Thanks so much for helping me see that most important piece.” Considering the 11:59 on the kitchen clock, she knelt in front of Sadie to give her a gentle scruff and say thank you again before planting a giant smooch on her forehead.

January 02, 2023 22:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Wendy Kaminski
01:07 Jan 13, 2023

I liked the abstract conversational tone of this piece; the back-and-forth reminded me of (I think it was) the Platonic school where they taught by having conversations. I loved the ending in particular, where she noted that she was her own missing piece - very profound! And of course, the pup kiss was just icing on the cake. :) Great story!

Reply

Richard Kroyer
00:50 Jan 14, 2023

Exactly!!! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.