0 comments

Fiction Romance

I sprang up out of bed in panic with my hands shaking uncontrollably while I was trying to pull the rest of the blankets off me. I quickly throw my feet on the floor and push myself up and away from the bed. I sprint out of my bedroom and into the hallway and quickly down the steps and straight to the living room window. I stand in the middle of the window with my eyes moving back and forth searching into the darkness for my love. As time passes me bye, I slowly start fading away into the pass six months. 

           “Good morning Lee, how did you sleep? Hayley asks.

           Good morning Hayley, I slept very well with the feeling of you against me. How did you sleep? Lee asks with a small stretch.

           The same for me, I did wake up a little stiff though. What would you want for lunch? Hayley asks.

           Oh man, that is a tough one. You make so many famous dishes, so whatever you want to cook, it will be your famous dish. Lee says with a smile.

           You say that about all my dishes that I make. Alright but one of these days one of my meals will not be famous. Hayley says while she was getting up out of bed.

           I doubt that honey, I love. Lee was saying when he was interrupted.

           You love them all, I know that, but I do make a meal at times that does not taste good. I have the perfect dish for lunch. Hayley says as she walks out of the bedroom heading towards the kitchen.

           I cannot wait, but I am going to take a shower. Do you want to join me? Lee asks.

           I would love that, but we would run out of hot water. So, take a cold shower and be ready for lunch in fifteen minutes. Hayley says with a smile.

           I will take a warm one and be dressed for lunch. Lee says.

           I walk into the kitchen and flip on the light. I grab my favorite stone pan and I sat it down on the burner. I turn around and open the refrigerator door and pull out the wheat bread, the cheese, the butter and the turkey lunch meat. I sit the stuff on the countertop, I open the bread and pull out four slices of bread. I close the bread back and I grab a butter knife and scoop half of an inch of butter. I drop it in the pan and turn the burner on, I wait for the butter to melt. Once the butter is liquid now, I put two slices of bread in the pan. As the sides get a rich brown, I quickly grab a spatula and flip them over. I put one slice of cheese on each side of the bread and I put three slices of the turkey lunch meat on one side. I put them together, after one side got brown. I flip it over for the other side to turn brown. I grab a plate and sit it down and gently scoop the grilled cheese out of the pan and put it on the plate. I do the same thing to the other one and once that one is done, I put that one on a plate. I pick up both plates and walk them over to the table. As I was sitting them down, Lee was walking up to the table.

           This smells so good honey, I bet it tastes amazingly good. Lee says.

           You flatter me babe, I hope it does. Hayley states.

           Oh babe, my company called when I was out of the shower, they are wanting me to go and impress a company to bring their business to ours. I will be gone for at least two weeks; they say that I am the best match for this company. Is this fine with you, if it is not, I can call them back and tell them that I cannot do this? Lee asks.

           You are very charming and very flirty with the females. Hayley says.

           Yes, I am very charming. But I do not flirt with no one, except you. Lee says.

           I know that, but you flirt naturally when you talk to the females and with your look with your eyes. Hayley says.

           You do that also, but I do not ever see it in my face. Lee says.

           I love you; I am fine with it. What city are you going to be at? Hayley asks.

           The city is a small town in Arkansas. They said that the town is a secret, I will find out when I get there. The train ticket and the hotel room are already ready for me, my train leaves at three o’clock and it is only going to take six hours to get there with one layover. Would you like me to call you when we have the layover? Lee asks.

           If you would like to call me, but I might not answer because I might be asleep. Hayley says.

           Well, we will just play it by ear. I can not wait to see you in two weeks. I got to pack now; can you take me to the train station? Lee asks.

           Yes, I can. I will take a shower and get dressed. I can not wait to see you either. Hayley says.

           After two and a half hours, I got home, I miss Lee already. He said he would take a cab home when he comes back. Days will pass quickly, I just got to stay busy. I hear his ringtone sound; I quickly go to my phone. I miss his call, but he left a voicemail. His voice sounds scared and talking about the train or at least it sounds like that. I turn on the television and turn to the news. The channel is just a black screen with the words “stay tuned, we will have breaking news in a few minutes.”

           I feel my heart rate pick up when the screen changed to the news crew and a little square picture in the upper right of the television that is looking at a derailed passenger train. They are not saying anything about where it is at, but I can see that the accident happened in the forest. My phone rings and before I can say anything after hello, the police ask for Hayley and I said yes this is her. He tells me that my husband is lost, they will start a search at first light, that they apologize for having to tell me this and they will call me with any news.

           After a month of the search party searching for all the missing persons, they called me and said that he is still missing, but they cannot continue with the search. I slowly hung up the phone and I walk over to the living room window that looks out at the forest and stand there staring every day for months not being able to move, waiting for my love to come home to me.”

           As I felt the tear roll down my check, I came back to the reality staring out the window. I wipe the fog off the window just big enough for me to see through it. I see movement at the tree line, so I squint my eyes but that never works. I flip on the light switch on my right side that turns on the flood light. I start to feel alive again, as my eyes start to get wider and wider. My heart starts to pump ever faster then it has for months, my eyes fill up with water. I fling open the front door and start to run towards the moving figure. The figure starts to walk even faster and gets clearer, I yell out for Lee. I notice that he has a limp, his clothes are tethered and bloody, as I leap into his arms, we start to cry, I tell him that he is never going to leave me again.        

June 06, 2021 23:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.