8 comments

Urban Fantasy Drama

For the third time in as many minutes, Kat checked her polished tusks for stray lipstick. Her waist-length onyx hair was piled into an elaborate up-do, held by two plain silver hairpins that had been her grandmother’s. The lipstick she kept re-checking was the same deep chocolate brown as her evening gown, setting off her ochre-yellow skin and deep green eyes.

“Kat, you look beautiful, quit stressing it.” At just a shade over five feet tall, Gwen stood as high as Kat’s armpits. Where Kat was a mountain of muscle in warm, earthy tones, Gwen was a wisp of pale pink with light violet eyes and white hair. Her dress was deep blue silk, showing off her odd coloration without clashing with Kat’s.

“I don’t know if I’m ready for this,” Kat said.

“You’ll see, everything will work out.” Gwen held a diamond necklace. “Sit, I’ll put this on you.”

Kat let Gwen put the necklace on, acutely aware that she was about to step out of the house wearing eighty-thousand dollars in diamonds around her neck. If they had been in Kat’s neighborhood, she would never even consider it. She looked at the sparkle of the necklace in the mirror, feeling like a queen. “You sure it’s okay?”

“Yes. They’re mine and I said so. Tonight’s going to be awesome!” Gwen tugged inefficiently at Kat’s hand trying to get her to stand up. “Let’s go, the limo’s waiting,” she said with a mock pout.

Even though she was only fifty-four, Kat often felt like the “adult” in the relationship compared to the nearly two-hundred-year-old Gwen. “Life isn’t a series of happy endings.”

“Sure it is, you just have to find them, like we just did… in the shower.”

“That’s not what, I meant and you know it.”

“It’ll be fine,” said Gwen. “Come on, Grumpy.”

Kat growled a low rumble, making Gwen giggle. “Fine, Squeaky.”

#

They arrived at the wrap party for the eighth and final season of Quartz Security, a reality TV show that centered around Kat’s parents and their private security business. Kat had been able to avoid the cameras by virtue of refusing to sign a release form, despite being hounded about it every year.

She didn’t want to be in the limelight, and yet here she was, stepping on to the red carpet to be with her girlfriend. The TV cameras and reporters hounded the couple as they walked hand-in-hand into the venue.

Once inside they were accosted by Gwen’s parents. Her mother was a few inches taller than Gwen, with the same pale skin but with ice-blue eyes, and dark brown hair. Her father was shorter than both of them, with dark, ash-grey skin, violet eyes, and pure white hair.

Kat offered her hand. “Good evening, Mister and Missus Blackrock.”

“Oh, please,” she said, “just Isobel and Thomas.”

Thomas looked around for a second with a puzzled expression. “Guinevere, where is this special—,“ he stopped when Isobel nudged him with her elbow.

She looked at their locked hands and said, “Well, dear, you said we’d be surprised. It seems your father is, for certain.”

“You’re dating…”

“Yes, Dad, I’m dating an orc. You’re a dark elf, mom’s a light elf, I’m a mixed-up elf and I’m dating an orc.”

“No, I mean…”

“Yes, Dad, she’s a girl, I’m a girl, we’re both girls.”

Isobel gave Kat a warm hug. “Never mind him. Welcome to the family.”

Thomas shook his head. “No! That’s not it. Orc, fine, girl, fine. You’re Katherine Quartz, right? George Quartz’s daughter?”

“I am,” Kat replied.

“You, uh…,” he paused, seeming to change gears, “you’ve worked so hard to keep away from the camera, but you’re here… and you’re dating the most well-known face in Hollywood.” His expression wasn’t a full-on flinch, but it was close. “I thought you wanted privacy?”

“First, I’m dating all of her, not just her face,” Kat said, eliciting a giggle from both Gwen and Isobel. “Second, Gwen is more important to me than my privacy. And third, I’m here because Gwen insisted.”

“I hope,” Isobel said, “that you don’t do everything Guinevere insists on.”

“God no. That would be tiring, and quite possibly dangerous!”

Gwen pouted. “Quit teasing.”

Kat pulled her in close and gave her a squeeze. “Okay, no more teasing… tonight.”

“If you see should see your mother, give her my regards,” Isobel said. “She’s a delightful woman.”

Kat noticed that Isobel said nothing about her father. She wondered what that was about but decided to let it rest.

She should have guessed the Blackrocks would be at the party. Their fading film careers were re-ignited following season four, when the Quartz Security team protected them from a stalker. After more than two centuries in show business, half of it in movies, they both had starring roles in current films. Gwen had already had some minor roles, one supporting actress role, and was in talks to play the lead in a science-fiction series.

“Well, Dad, Mother,” Gwen said, “we have someone else we need to talk to before Grumpy chickens out.”

They walked through the crowd, Gwen getting the attention of everyone they passed. Kat took her time, telling herself it was so Gwen could socialize. The real reason for the slow pace was the coming showdown. She feared it, but her best bet would be to do it now, in a very public setting.

At the other end of the room, they found George and Sarah Quartz, sitting on a sofa in front of cameras and engaged in an interview with an entertainment reporter. Kat stopped and looked around for a waiter.

“You need a drink, Grumpy?”

Kat nodded.

“I’ll be right back.” Gwen sailed through the crowd with the practiced grace that came from forty years of dance and etiquette training, and even more of attending fancy parties.

Within minutes, Kat wanted to leave; find Gwen and get out. She was planning her escape route when she was interrupted by a familiar voice.

“I’m surprised you came.” George Quartz stood seven feet and two inches; half a head taller than Kat. His brown eyes sat in a lined face, sun-darkened to a rich leather color, grey touching the edges of his signature buzz-cut he hadn’t changed since he fought in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. His right tusk was broken off an inch above his lip, while the left was a full, sharp three inches.

Sarah looked like an older version of Kat, her black hair worn in a traditional style: twin braids that went behind the shoulders then were looped back to the front and in loops outside the shoulder like aiguillettes. “Was that Guinevere Blackrock I saw you talking to?” Sarah asked.

“Yeah, her mother says hi. Gwen’s… uh…,” Kat faltered, looking around for Gwen. What a horrible time for her to leave her stranded.

“Her mother’s nice, makes a mean apple tart. But Guinevere… she’s what, dear?” Sarah asked.

Kat screwed up her courage and spoke. “Look, I know this isn’t the best time or place, but I’m quitting the security company. This is my two-week notice, along with the email I sent earlier today. I finished my MSW last year and I’m ready to find work as a social worker.” She added, in a near whisper, “and I’m dating Gwen.”

“You’re leaving?!” George bellowed, followed by a deep, rolling growl. “This business has been in our family since we guarded the Pony Express in 1860. And you quit?!”

“Please, George, she still has plenty of time to change her mind." Sarah looked at Kat. “Isn’t that right, dear?”

“No, Mom, you don’t get it. I can’t do this. No more. I’ve worked for the family business all my life, and I’ve always said I wanted to do something different, something that helps those that need it the most.”

“Our clients need help,” George said, “your mother and I need help. I want to retire in a few years. If you leave, how am I supposed to do that?”

“You just retire. Maybe it’s time to let go. Keep ownership but turn over operations to someone else. Janice could run things, same as she does when you’re on vacation, or busy doing your TV stuff.”

“I thought I specifically left you in charge when we’re gone. What’s this about Janice?”

“You left me in charge, so I left Janice in charge. She’s better at it than I am.”

“You left Janice in charge of the security business? But she’s an elf!”

“And? Why does that matter?” Pink began to creep up Kat’s cheeks and the pointed tips of her ears. “Why does that matter!? She’s worked there longer than you’ve been alive! I should’ve known my father was a racist.”

“I’m not a racist,” he said, “I just… the job is dangerous and physically demanding, not something her kind is suited to.”

Sarah sucked on her tusks. “Um, dear, I think maybe you should reconsider what you just said.”

Gwen chose that moment to approach and squeeze next to Kat. She grabbed her hand and gave it a kiss. “Can we go, sweetheart? I’m getting tired.”

“What the…?” George took a breath and stopped himself before he said anything else.

Sarah asked, “Is that what you were whispering, dear? You two are dating?”

Kat nodded and George fumed silently.

“You look cute together.” Sarah began pushing George to the back-of-house area. “I think George needs a rest after all the interviews.” She looked at Gwen as she said, “I’m so sorry, dear.”

“Now I know why your mother didn’t send her regards to my father.” Kat tried to hold her tears but failed. Tears of anger at her father’s blatant racism, anger at her mother for putting up with it and shielding him, shame for being related to him, embarrassment from his outburst; most of all, though, anger at herself for not seeing it sooner.

Kat had stopped walking so Gwen held on to her. She couldn’t see through the tears, but she felt more arms wrap around her, guiding her. She let them lead her into a powder room where she dropped to her knees and wept.

“I’m sorry, Squeaky. My dad….”

“Shh, Grumpy, you’re not your dad.” Gwen’s kisses on her forehead were light, soothing.

“I’m, uh, sorry for my earlier reaction,” Thomas said. “I fear I let my interactions with your father color my perceptions, and for that I apologize. It was wrong of me to assume the worst of you.”

Isobel’s voice was soft. “Katherine… Kat, we can get you out to our limo the back way, away from the cameras. Would you like that?”

Kat nodded and sniffled. Gwen handed her a tissue and said, “That’s good, ‘cause your makeup is a mess.”

“We can drop you at your place, or would you rather go to Gwen’s?”

“I don’t think your limo would be safe in Westgate,” Kat said, “and I don’t want to be alone right now.”

“Gwen’s place it is,” Thomas said. “You should join us for dinner tomorrow.”

“Really, Dad?” Gwen asked. “Does now seem like the time to bring that up?”

“Do you love her, Guinevere?”

“What kind of question is that?”

“The simple kind,” he said. “Do you love Katherine?”

“Duh! Of course, I do.”

“From what she said earlier I’m guessing it’s mutual,” he said.

Kat nodded.

“What’s that got to do with dinner?”

“You need to bring your girlfriend over for dinner so your parents can embarrass you properly,” he said, “it’s in the parent contract. Tomorrow just happens to work with our schedule.”

“We’re not going to embarrass her, Thomas,” Isobel said, “but we would like to have you both over.”

In a softer tone he added, “It also seems like she could use some family about now.”

“Can I decide in the morning?” Kat asked.

“Of course, you can. Thomas, help the young lady up so we can get out of here.”

The limo ride was silent until Isobel spoke up. “So, you’re going to be a social worker?”

Kat nodded. “Did Gwen tell you?”

Isobel turned away. “No, we— heard the whole thing… along with every camera in the place.”

The tears started up again. “I’m so sorry.”

“No. You have nothing to apologize for.” Thomas patted Kat’s knee. “You stood up to your father and let him know his views aren’t okay.”

Isobel said, “What I wanted to say is, I think you’ll do great. You obviously care about others. That’s important for that kind of work.”

Kat sniffled. “It pays for shit, though, and I think I just screwed myself out of an inheritance.”

Gwen snuggled closer. “That’s okay, I’ll be your sugar mama.”

Kat tickled her rib making her squeal. “Thanks, Squeaky.”

Thomas smirked and said, “That’s where that nickname comes from.”

Isobel laughed a genuine, open laugh and said, “I meant what I said earlier. Welcome to the family.”

Gwen wiped away Kat’s tears. “See, I told you it would work out.”

November 22, 2020 18:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Scout Tahoe
18:44 Dec 11, 2020

Oh, this was beautiful. So cute and sweet and made me want to cry along with Kat. Because I’m here for critique circle, I have just one grammar critique: ‘“That’s not what, I meant and you know it.”’ No comma after what. I know you can’t change it now but just for next time. :) This was so lovely to read. Good work.

Reply

Sjan Evardsson
22:53 Dec 11, 2020

Those sneaky commas sneaking in... oops. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Llind Kam
07:52 Nov 29, 2020

I wish you could have elaborated more on the the world of ogres and elves. I understand that it might not be relevant to the story, but it is interesting so I wanted to know more.

Reply

Sjan Evardsson
18:49 Nov 29, 2020

It might be a fun sandbox to play in later, for sure. A world humans share with all the fantasy creatures without it being seen as anything other than "ordinary."

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zinnia Hansen
06:45 Nov 29, 2020

That was wonderful! I am normally not a fan of modern fantasy, I really have no good reason. But I absolutely adored your story. It might have been one of my favorites I have read on Reedsy yet. I didn't want it to end. I wish I could give you more specific praise, but I simply found the whole thing delightful!

Reply

Sjan Evardsson
18:23 Nov 29, 2020

Thank you so much for the kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
16:06 Dec 04, 2020

<removed by user>

Reply

Sjan Evardsson
20:28 Dec 04, 2020

Thank you for the kind words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.