0 comments

General

The train was packed but not so full that every seat was filled. I got the ticket from my uncle. He told me on the tracks "Remember, when you're in the village just ask for Peter. Everyone knows Peter, it's a small place." I hadn't been out of the city since I was a kid. Growing up we'd go out to one of the village's my uncle described but that stopped when ma and pa divorced. Since then I lived in Libertia. Sure it was a smelly city, full of shit, gangsters, and wannabe's, but it was my city, ya know? It was were I grew up. I moved in with pa back when I was - I think it was 11? - or maybe 12. I don't remember, but getting on the train felt like I was a kid again. Like I said, last time I was out of the city was when I was a kid.

Seeing all these people going different places, it was special. It was a slice of childhood. I felt giddy in the train, looking out the window and waving to my uncle. He frowned when I did, like you shouldn't do that. Why not? I'm an adult, I can wave. I'll wave. I like waving goodbye, it shows I care. I care about uncle, even if he is a little old-fashioned, but he took good care of me since pa died. That was five years ago. Uncle never told me how but I was pretty sure it was related to work. 

Looking out of the window it was grey and drab, just like I've grown to love it. Graffiti on walls like the pox, everywhere you looked was a lot of graffiti, most of it I never recognized what it would say. But as we headed out of the station I looked out and saw an amazing mural, it was a woman with blue eyes and brown hair and caramel skin, she was looking upward and there was "HOPE" written next to it in bright gold. I loved it, it was gorgeous. I hope I can find a nice caramel girl like that. Concrete walls and large apartment buildings were strewn across the skyline as the train rattled onward to the Capital. I'd switch at Ozkor West then head to the village of Onkya. 

The conductor came aboard asking for tickets. I caught myself smiling. What a great feeling, riding on a train! I gave him my ticket and the conductor smiled a service smile. He gave it a quick look and scanned it. His device beeped with a green light and he gave it back, the smile vanishing in milliseconds after he went on. His clothes looked so official. Dark blue with pauldrons of grey, it was an interesting look and gave the conductor a certain mystical aura. The train itself had leather seats of brown and an easy to clean light brown linoleum floor. Easier to clean I guess. I stared out of the window and was finally greeted by lush green fields and trees. I leaned my head on the window and enjoyed the slight rocking of the train as I looked out of the window. I smiled and thought of my mother and the food she'd bring on the train trips before I fell asleep.

"Ozkor West! Now arriving at Ozkor West!" A calm but strong voice sounded from above me, who knows where. Jolting from my sleep I rushed to get my bag and head out. The doors weren't even open yet and I stood waiting next to an elderly couple. I gave a curt smile and they just stared at me. Once the door opened I rushed out. Why was I in a hurry? The train to Onkya would leave in an hour. I suppose it was the hurried nature of everyone around me and the voice that jolted me awake. I scanned the area to see where to go. Track 4 would get me to Onkya. At the station of Ozkor West there were many people going in all directions. Police were there in dark blue with black berets, weapons at their sides and eyeing everyone with hateful eyes. Couldn't trust 'em, you just can't.

I took the train to Onkyo eventually, that was the longest. The train was different, it was cheaper. The seats were of metal and had basic padding, there was graffiti on some of the walls and the floor. There was no conductor, but I had a ticket anyway. It was 8 stops to Onkyo and the train itself was only two carriages. I was the only one to get out of Onkyo and the train was empty in my carriage except for me for the last 3 stops. No one else was at the village station of Onkyo except for an old man sitting near the main train station building. He looked at me frowning with his wrinkly face and his hands resting on a cane. He opened his mouth as if to speak but thought better of it. I nodded to him as I tried to get into the station but the doors were locked.

"Closed after six." The old man grunted, not even looking at me. It was already seven in the evening and the sun was still high enough to bake me. It seemed hotter here, but also not. The sun would scorch you but there was a freshness in the air unlike the city. It must have been all the trees and the forests I saw on the way here. Nature still reigned supreme here. I was about to walk away when I remembered that everyone knew Peter, or must know. This village seemed to only have a few houses I noticed, as I looked around. Coming into the village I counted four and a few cars. I turned to the old man.

"Sorry sir, do you know where I can find Peter?" and the old man's eyes seemed to finally open. 

"Oh? You're a friend?" He asked as he leaned to one side and spoke. His voice was deep and raspy, he had a straw hat on and a simple muscle shirt. His flabby arms wobbled as he held the cane and I could see his feeble chest. He looked to be at least 80.

"I was told to meet him here by my Uncle. My uncle's name is Maslo. Robert Maslo." At this the old man smiled.

"Ah of course. Another initiate. Follow me, you are?"

"Sutur. Sutur Bach Maslo."

"Bach?" The old man laughed. "Your father must be Rico."

"That was his name, yes."

"Ah... Sorry to hear." He rattled himself up and I helped him.

"Thank you. My condolences Sutur. Come with me, I will take you to Peter, if you can handle the speed!" The old man laughed maniacally and then coughed.

"Damn it all!" He coughed some more "Sorry boy, my lungs aren't what they used to be. Lived in Libertia for the longest time but here, here my lungs recovered a bit. At least it feels like it. Name's Onur by the way. Last name needn't bother you, I'll just bring you to Peter."

"Thank you Onur. You've lived here long?"

Onur nodded as he shuffled past the train station and towards the one and only road in Onkyo.

"Oh yes, last 30 years. I retired back in 21... 21... Ah yeah, 2154. I think?" He shook his head and continued to shuffle to the street.

"Been here since. Kids live in Libertia, one of 'em moved spaceside. She is uhh... let me think." The old man stopped. I tried not to sigh and simply took a deep breath. I was in no hurry, I'd see Peter soon.

"Ah right, she's working on a mining colony! At least that's what I last heard. She probably went planetside, too. She was talkin' about retirin'. Mining business is hard work eh? Even with those machines and whatever." He continued to shuffle and I breathed out. The old man took his time looking both ways up and down the street, just in case. I looked as well and the street down the right was lined with 3 houses, two on one side and on one another where the train station was. They had fences in front and the street had trees on either side farther down the road. Large trees the sort I've never seen before. They looked like the tips of paint brushes, but facing up with the trunk being what you would hold onto. It continued further until a hill obscured further view.

The other way down the road was a bend and there was a home on the corner, and on either side of the road was a house. One of the houses had a tavern sign dangling from it and there was a chair near the road with some tables. It seemed to be the local pub of sorts. We crossed the road and Onur rang a bell at the gate. A neat gated house stood in front of us, on the ground floor and no higher. It had a roof of hay and the walls were light blue. An old lady came to the door as a dog barked from inside the house.

"Who is it?" The old lady screamed across the short lawn unnecessarily. An old dachshund - or wiener dog type - shuffled out to the gate barking irregularly.

"It's me Agnes! Peter has a new initiate here!" Onur patted me on the back.

"Good luck, boy." He turned and headed towards the pub.

"Thanks Onur! Come boy, the gate is open." Agnes disappeared back inside as the dog gave one more bark before heading back inside with Agnes. I walked in and closed the gate behind me.

The house was neat and there was a hallway. Shoes were lined up neatly and there was an umbrella next to the door. Some jackets were hung up opposite of the door and to the right was the kitchen where Agnes and the dog were. The dog eyed me suspiciously but did not bark anymore, the kitchen door to my right was white, as was the other door to my left. The floor was a beautiful mahogany and seemed pristine.

"Take off your shoes and go into the living room." Agnes shouted and I complied. I put my shoes neatly next to the others.

I entered the living room and it seemed very old fashioned, very 21st century. A TV in one corner, a bookshelf with many books. Two chairs were facing the TV that was made of plastic and had a screen. No HoloTV like I was used to. There was a large rug in the middle of the room and a cabinet to my right. There was another door at the far end of the room. The TV was on and was showing the news. In one of the reclining chairs sat a man. He did not get up.

"Sutur, I've been expecting you. Come in. Have a seat." I walked in and sat in the other reclining chair. There he was, Peter. Nothing like I imagined him. He wore glasses and was rather plump. He had thick fingers and a big belly. He had suspenders on despite wearing already very comfortable pants, and a button-up shirt in plaid of red and black. He still had a full set of greying to white hair, much older than I imagined. 

"How was the trip?" He asked.

"Good. It reminded me of my childhood." I smiled.

"Ah yeah, me too. I remember heading out here back when my parents lived in this very house. Same TV, too. Repaired many times over the years but why get a HoloTV? This thing works and doesn't listen to me talking at home. Listen, let's have some dinner and tomorrow we will begin training. Sound good? Just relax for now."

I nodded and leaned back in the reclining chair. I could smell goulash from the kitchen and the dog had hopped onto Peter's lap as we watched TV. The weather would be good this week.

The next day training began. We took Peter's truck and headed out into the forest. It was about a 10 minute drive and Peter only spoke about how good it was to go fishing out here. There were many lakes, he said. We stopped the truck in the forest and walked the rest of the way. 

"Have you ever shot a blaster before?" He asked me as we walked to the range.

"Oh, no no. I was more involved in the business side of Uncle's work."

Peter nodded "I see. Knives? Grenades?"

I laughed thinking it was a joke. Peter was somber and continued to walk. I shook my head "No, not at all."

Peter grunted "Well, let's find out now."

We reached a clearing in the forest, it was surrounded by many other trees in the forest but there was a long stretch of land that was just meadow. At the end of the meadow were targets in the shape of xenos. I could recognize one or the other, but not all. At the beginning of the meadow stood a few others men and two women. 

"Gentlemen, ladies, this is Sutur. A new initiate from Libertia. Sutur, these are comrades." They all said hello, or nodded. I nodded back and did a slight bow and muttered hello but I felt quite shy now. They all had blasters and looked so serious. I was still wearing a t-shirt and jeans while they had camouflage shirts and pants and cool hats. I wanted a cool hat.

"Sutur, we are going to do some blaster training today, and practice how to throw grenades. Everyone else, ready? Be easy on Sutur, he is an amateur but very eager."

The others smiled and nodded and then lined up along a collection of sandbags and sort of makeshift arrangement of barrier. Peter gave me a pistol blaster and put it in my hand.

"This is a L-533. Never aim at anyone unless you want to kill them. Keep it pointed downward until you are ready to aim. Let's go to your spot." Peter waddled with me to my spot as the others already began to shoot. 

"Now, this gun has 5 shots before it needs to charge. It's for training purposes so you get the hang of things. Breathe in and when you've breathed out, shoot when you're on the height of breathing out."

I feigned to know what he meant. I nodded and got ready to aim. My palms were sweaty.

"Alright, have a go!" Peter said, standing behind me to the right. He had a hand on my shoulder as I aimed down range. The sounds of the blasters nearby raised my anxiety. I looked down the barrel of the blaster and shot. When it rang out I closed my eyes. When I opened them again, my target was unbothered. I shot and shot but to no avail. Every shot missed.

"Keep your eyes open!"

"Feet apart!"

"The tip of your finger!"

"Must be the wind, don't worry."

The encouraging voices of the others and their chatter raised my anxiety higher and higher. I became more nervous and my hands were shaking. Peter took the blaster from me after half an hour.

"Ok, perhaps it was the gun. Let's try a rifle style blaster."

He got me a blaster that looked similar in appearance to the L-533, metallic, with carbon elements, but elongated and a shoulder rest so I could aim better.

I did as before and lined up the rifle. I did not know it was on automatic, nor knew how to set it. Some things they took as normal they did not mention to me. I held the trigger and the rifle jumped upward and shots rang into the forest as branches came falling down from above. Everyone screamed and a few dove to the ground. I dropped the rifle and luckily no one got hurt.

For a few moments there was silence. Peter then spoke up first. "It's alright, kiddo... We can try the grenades now, perhaps you're better at throwing."

"They're just props, they'd be too loud otherwise." One of the ladies said, smirking. My anxiety was so high I could feel my heart bursting from my chest. I wanted to give up, but I couldn't let Uncle down.

We headed to a little hole in the forest and the others stood outside of the hole, watching me. 

"Alright so, this is a prop but the real thing is the same. You press the button and hold the thing on the side. When it beeps it's armed and when you release it, it stops beeping and explodes after 3 seconds. Throw it once you release the long thing on the side, got it?"

"Got it." I said but immediately after he gave me the grenade my mind went blank. I ... I had to do what? I panicked and pressed the button and tried to throw it. It bounced off of a tree nad hit me on the head. A little voice from the prop grenade said "Boom!" and everyone around me laughed. I definitely would not become a frontline insurgent like this.

We did the same thing the next day. And the day after. And the day after that. After six days we did bomb building. I was so happy we would do something other than shooting those damn blasters. No matter how many times they would show me how to shoot a blaster I would freeze up, or my hands would shake too much. This way, though, I could prove I was a capable asset to the resistance. Peter was amazed at how I knew how to setup a bomb so fast, and how to connect the wires in the right places. 

August 08, 2020 13:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.