0 comments

General


Hey babe,

How’s the quarantine? I know it’s been a while since we last talked, but I was wondering if you wanted to give us another shot. Please answer!

-Ryder


Ryder,

Look, dude, you have been emailing me for like a month now and I HAVE NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE! Please take the hint and stop.

-Jocelyn 


Jocelyn,

What do you mean you don’t know who I am! We dated for a year and a half! I miss my Joc.

-Ryder


Ryder,

No, we didn’t. I have never met a Ryder in my life. I think you might have the wrong Jocelyn. 

-Not YOUR Jocelyn 


Joc,

You’re trying to tell me that your not Jocelyn James? Look if you just want me to leave you alone tell me. But don’t pretend that you don’t know me. 

-Ryder


Ryder,

No, I’m not Jocelyn James. My name is Jocelyn Clare. I have never met you and I would love for you to leave me alone. I’m sorry that I’m not the person you were hoping to talk to, but please just stop emailing me.

-Jocelyn CLARE


Clare,

I’m sorry about all of this. I’ll stop. I just really wanted to talk to my Joc. 

-Ryder


Ryder,

Yeah, well, I’m not her.

-Jocelyn

P.S.

Sorry, that sounded mean. I really am sorry about your Joc. I wish there is something that I could do to help…

-Jocelyn 


Clare,

Nah, there’s nothing you can do. Thanks though. You seem like a nice person, I guess.

-Ryder


Ryder,

Thanks, I guess. You seem kinda nice too.

-Jocelyn

Ten minutes later

Clare,

Look, I know you're not the person I thought you were. But I’m bored as hell and my phone just broke so all I have is my computer and email. And to be honest you're the only email address that I have. :| So… you want to talk more? 

-Ryder


Ryder,

Sure, why not. :)

-Joc


Clare,

So do you live in Washington or somewhere else…? And I should probably ask how old you are?

-Ryder


Ryder,

Yeah, I live in Port Angeles. I’m 17. What about you? 

-Joc


Clare,

Port Angeles, do you like it over there? I’m 18. I do live in Washington, Seattle. Just me, my brothers and our grandma. 

-Ryder


Ryder,

I love it here. I loving being so close to the ocean. You live with your grandma? How many brothers do you have?

-Joc


Clare,

Yeah, our parents died about three years ago and our Grandma was getting too old to live by herself. I have two younger brothers.

-Ryder


 Ryder,

Omg, I’m so sorry about your parents. What happened?

-Joc

Two minutes later

Ryder,

You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. Sorry again.

-Joc


Clare,

No, it’s okay. I was just putting together lunch for my brothers. My stepmom died of a hard attack and then my father died of unknown causes about a year later. My grandma says he died from a broken heart, but we don’t know how he really died. 

-Ryder


Ryder,

How old are your brothers? That’s awful. I’m sorry. 

-Joc


Clare,

They’re both 7, twins. Yeah. You don’t have to keep saying sorry, it’s not like you did anything.

-Ryder


Ryder,

Wow, 7. They’re really young. Have you been taking care of them and your grandma for 3 years?! Still, it sucks that that happened. I’ll stop saying sorry though. 

-Joc


Clare,

Yeah pretty much. I mean it’s not that bad, after work I just go and get the twins from school. And grandma just kinda chills in the apartment.

-Ryder


Ryder,

Isn’t that a lot of responsibility? I mean you're only 18! And now with the quarantine! What are you going to do about school and your work!

-Joc


Clare,

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Grandma was a school teacher so she’s teaching the twins. And I’m still working. Part-time but still, money is money. 

-Ryder


Ryder,

What about your school? How are you fitting it all in?

-Joc


Clare,

I’m not in school. Anyway, let’s stop talking about my life. I want to know more about you. Do you have any siblings? Are you a senior? Do you know what you want to do? What college you want to go to? 

-Ryder


Ryder,

I’m an only child. Yes, I am a senior and no, I have no idea what I want to do with my life or what college I want to go to. Now, back to you. What do you do? For work I mean.

-Joc


Joc,

No, I’m not done asking you questions yet. What do you like to do in your free time?

-Ryder


Ryder,

I like to draw and hang out with friends. Now answer my question.

-Clare

P.S.

Now you got me doing it. Why are you calling me by my last name?

-Joc


Clare, 

Because Jocelyn reminds me of the other Jocelyn. She was a bitch and gave me a fake email and you’re too nice to be associated with her. And I work as a mailman.

-Ryder 

P.S.

I can stop calling you by your last name if you want. 

-Ryder


Ryder,

No, you can call me Clare. That’s actually really sweet. A mailman? How is that?

-Joc


Clare,

It’s fine I guess, just a lot of driving through the busy streets and getting up early.

- Ryder



Ryder,

God, I could never. I hate mornings. I would rather stay up till 1 than get up at any time before 8. 

-Joc


Clare,

You know that 1 am is technically the morning right? And mornings aren’t that bad, I love watching the sunrise. 

 -Ryder


Ryder,

Yes, I know 1 am is in the morning. But my point is that I would rather stay up that late than wake up early. And the sunset is better by far.

-Joc


Clare,

Sure, whatever you say. I bet the city sunrise is better than the country sunrise.

-Ryder


Ryder,

I wouldn’t know. I don’t get up that early. 

-Joc


Clare, 

I got to go. But I’ll email you tomorrow :).

-Ryder


Two days later

Ryder,

Hey!

-Clare


Clare,

Hi. So I got my phone fixed! You don’t have to email me anymore.

-Ryder


Ryder,

Oh… Okay.

-Jocelyn


Clare,

Unless you want to?

-Ryder



Ryder,

Yeah, I do. If that’s good with you?

-Clare


Clare,

Of course!

-Ryder



March 20, 2020 23:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.