0 comments

General

“Mom" I heard a voice of a little girl who has just got out from bed, leaning to the bedroom wall she was looking at a lady who is busy arranging white roses into a vase.

"Yes darling" the lady replied, without turning her head. Neither of their faces was clear to me. Who are they? I asked myself.

The little girl in her nightgown, with messy hair, slowly walked to her mother, and pulled her white satin dress, trying to get her attention "Mom... why we have roses all the time?"

The lady carefully adjusted the vase, on the oak cabinet.

Oh! I have seen this. A strange feeling passed through my mind.

"My sweet little princess is as soft as petals and pure as a white rose" she bent on her knees and her hand combed through the little girl's hair". I could see her face. My heart stopped at that moment.

 "Mom" The sadness I felt was unbearable. Oh! God! She was my mother, my heart sobbed so heavily but I couldn't cry out loud. The little girl must have been little me... It is the oak cabinet that is moved to the storeroom a few years ago.

I wanted to see her more; she was hugging the little girl. Her curly hair, round eyes, and smiling cheeks, I missed all so much. It was long ago I lost her and I have forgotten how she looked like. I wanted to feel her warmth so badly. I wanted to run to her and say I missed her all these years.

I tried to move my feet. But, I couldn't. In a moment everything was dark. I couldn't see anything. I gathered up the courage to call her. "Mom"... trying to shout out loud, I woke up. I could see the pale while sealing. 'Hugh' a deep sigh, missing my mother. My pillow was all wet from tears.

I am 20 now, and in my dreams, I saw my little self may be at the age of 6 or 7. It was a happy time for me. I lost her when I was 10 and I never had a chance for a proper goodbye with my mother. The chain of thoughts was broken from the sound of my alarm.

I got out of bed and got ready to go to college. I should hurry up, otherwise, Dad won't drop me. I thought to myself. I came out of the room hurriedly, hoping to have a quick breakfast. Mrs. Jennie greeted me " good morning young lady." She was with us since I was small. She's so kind to me. My father is living very lifelessly since the loss of my mother. But I do know that he loves me.

My father hurried out of his room. "Hurry up Katy" I have to leave now. "Mrs. Jennie I'll have my breakfast packed" He rarely has breakfast at home.

He is a scientist, who's very committed to his work, but I am not sure what he is doing at his lab. The only thing I know is that he is involved in research about flower scents since several years ago.

Before we leave home he called Mrs. Jennie and asked, "Can you refill the vases with pink roses from the backyard" He never forgets to take care of the vases. That is how I know he still misses my Mom, and I guess he wants to cherish that memory with the smell she loved.

On the way, I was wondering of how mother liked roses and how she worked on the flower beds in the back yard with my father. It was a long-gone memory that came alive because of my dream.

It was a silent journey, me and my father doesn't talk much, maybe not at all. "Drop me near the bus stop, I’ll walk from here". I told my father. “Goodbye Katy". I got off from the car and walked.

Suddenly I felt a bit dizzy. I stopped where I was, I could see everything getting blurred. Someone patted me on the shoulder, "Hey there" that was Daphney's voice. Daph is my only close friend at college. She could see that something was wrong with me. “Are you oaky Katy?” She asked me grabbing my hand. "Yes. I'm a bit dizzy”.

"Let's just stay here for a while until you feel better." Daph stayed by my side asking so many questions like whether I had breakfast and whether I had dinner last night, whether the food was okay and blah blah. All I could do was nod my head. After some time, I felt better and we both walked to the class.

Mr.Herrald a cheerful chubby man came to the class, stuffing his hands with some poetry books. " Today we will meet a great poet through his work " and wrote down on the board,

There is another sky,

Ever serene and fair,

He stopped there and looked at the class "hands up if you know the poet " he grinned. With a big smile, I raised my hand. "We have two people, interesting". Laughed Mr.Herrald.  Jason Cornor turned his head from the front row and looked at me. My hand slowly came down.

 From middle school, we seemed to be competitors and I hated that fact. We both got similar grades in whatever we do, some times the same marks. I admit that it is weird but I didn't do anything intentionally.

“Yes, Jason" Mr. Herrald looked at Jason, who's hand is still up. “It’s the poem ‘there is another sky’ by Emily Dickinson". The deep voice of Jason broke the silence.

"Excellent" Mr. Heckles praised him.

 I knew it. My mother was very much interested in poems and I lived with her poetry books for the past 10 years.

Towards the end of Mr. Heckle’s lesson, he told us that he wanted to test our creativity. "I hope to see everyone's creative work next time. A tiny poem would be enough. Remember poetry is how you feel ".

On the way back home from college, Daph was complaining about homework and she suddenly remembered. "Oh Katy tomorrow is your birthday, isn't it. You are turning 21. What are your plans?" She was all excited about my birthday and forgot all about homework.

"No plans, I am not a kid to get excited on Birthdays" I talked with a stern face but I was a little happy inside to have someone who remembers my birthday.

"You are too matured, Can we have a party? ".

“No" Dad doesn't like parties."

"Then at least can we go somewhere for a meal?” I knew Daph would keep on bugging.

"With you? Are we a couple? "I Laughed.

“Okay then I’ll ask Jason, he's my neighbor anyway ". Daph is so good at backfiring.

 "Alright stop. I'll take you to a meal" I accepted the defeat with a grin.

It was raining in the evening and I was trying to write a poem. Nothing but the dream of Mom was all that came to my mind.

I wanted to read my mother's poetry books, so I took out all poetry books from the old book cupboard which stood in the corner of my room. When I tried to close one the drawer, something was stuck and I couldn't close it no matter how hard I push. I pulled the drawer out again, to my surprise there was a metal chain. I pulled it, to clear the sliding of the drawer.

 Suddenly another drawer came out of the empty drawer. Oh! A secret drawer. Inside it was a small book with a ribbon wrapped around it.

It was my mother’s diary. 'Lilly Martha Dwain' was written in the front of the diary. A picture of my family was in it. She was there hugging me and my father. Tears rolled down my cheeks and fall on to the dusty pages of the diary.

I began to read it page by page. Every page there was something about me. But when the time passes she was afraid that something might happen to me. On some pages there were poems. On the last page, there was this poem that I couldn’t understand.

My dear rose, This is your Lilly

Who cannot protect you anymore

Even if I couldn't fly to you

I'll give my wings as petals for you

This was written in a hurry as my mother's clear and tidy handwriting was messy in this poem. In the corner of the page, there was a date which was not clear, but the year mentioned is 10 years ago.

My heart was drowned in sorrow. This can be the last thing she wrote before she died. What has happened to her? Wiping the tears I went to my father's room with burning curiosity. He was at his desk and he was shocked to see me.

"What happen to Mom, How did she die?” I broke out at that point, started crying out loudly. I could see my father was scared and shocked as he was trying so hard to speak. "She was sick, pneumonia. Now go to your room." He grabbed my hand and took me out of his room. "Go and sleep" that's all he could say and he slammed the door. I cried all my eyes out that night.

I woke up the next day and the vase of white roses is there on the round coffee table in my room as always. 'Mrs. Jennie might have changed the flowers as the roses looked so alive today'. I thought to my self.

It was my Birthday and after yesterday's incident, I was ashamed to see Dad's face. So I got dressed early, grabbed some money from the collection and left early. Also, I packed my mother's diary thinking of showing it to Daphney.

Daphney was the only one to wish me a happy birthday, I threatened her not to tell anyone else.

After lessons, we planned to have a meal at a fine restaurant out of the town. On our way to the restaurant, I felt dizzy and uneasy again. Daph was so afraid that she refused to go to the restaurant; instead, we decided to celebrate my birthday at her place. The sky was gloomy as if it’s going to rain. We were both happy that we canceled going to the restaurant.

On the way to Daphney's house, I felt sick again. I was dizzy and this time I couldn't breathe properly, my whole body was uncontrollable. With a sharp pain on my shoulders, I fell on my knees. Daphney went crazy at that time and started to scream. "Go get some help". The words slip through my mouth with great struggle. I could see the old church on the side of the road. Huge walls stood like an ancient palace. I couldn't lift up my head and everything was black.

I felt cold wind touch my body and the sound of the wind rang through my ears constantly. With effort, I opened my eyes and all I could see is the gloomy sky. The wind was so strong that I couldn't hold my self. I heard the scream of Daphney. " No! Katy. Get down ". I could see her small figure. I was in a higher place. Raindrops started to hit me with the wind. I lost balance and I fell. I closed my eyes tight. "I am going to die" I murmured.

I felt someone's strong hands up in the sky. I tried so hard to open my eyes and only could see giant wings.

I opened my eyes, such a dramatic dream. I grinned to myself. Getting out of the bed I looked at the vase of white roses, they were moving as if there's a breeze across the room. But the windows were closed.

I heard my father talked with someone, I listened to them. “Lilly was always worried about her, but look what happened, Daisy, I am so scared”. That was my father. “She’s as smart as her mother, Leonard. You don't have to worry." A lady replied to him.

Amidst of it, a familiar voice said “I’ll take care of her. Don't worry Mr. Leonard ". I flew out of the room. Everyone was shocked. “Jason?” I verbalized my amazement.

“Hi, Katy. You fainted near my house. We brought you home".  Jason replied.

"So, it was not a dream," I told softly.

"Hello, Katy. I'm Jason's mother Daisy." The lady came to me grabbed my hand and smiled brightly. I have seen her somewhere but couldn't remember.

" This is Jason's father Richard. They took you home last night and waited until you are up." My father introduced me to Jason's father. I smiled and greeted them good morning.

"Jason, why don't you take her to the backyard for a walk"? Mrs. Daisy asked Jason.

"Do you know my mother?" I asked her out of curiosity. She was shocked for a moment but replied calmly. "She was a friend of mine, darling."

Jason and I walked down the backyard. “you have a nice yard" Jason tried to start a conversation. "Yeah. Thanks, How about Daphney, was she scared.? " I asked.

 "Yeah, she came to my place asking for help yesterday evening. Since there was no one at her house she was pretty scared. I called her last night and told her that you are okay. "

" Thank you and I'm sorry for making you wait here all night".  I tried to express my gratitude. Jason smiled. "It is okay"

"But I just fainted, right? Didn't fell from somewhere high? " I asked.

Jason was out of words for a moment, " Uhmmm... No… why..? "

 Nothing" I kept walking blaming myself for asking stupid questions.

Nice roses. "Jason stopped near the rose beds. " Yeah, my mother liked roses."

 Red, yellow, pink... oh.. I ran and searched through the yard. Jason came running behind me, "What are you searching?"

I was so surprised, why didn't I notice this.

"There are no white roses here. But every day I have a vase with white roses in my room."

Jason look puzzled "Maybe they are from somewhere else. "

" But, every day"

I ran back to the house. The conversation I heard stopped me from entering the house.

"How can I tell her she's a half-angel? "

My father sobbed.

"Lilly knew her daughter is a one. That's why she wanted us to protect her. Jason knows how to train her." Mr. Richard tried to console him.

Mrs. Daisy spoke in a low soft voice.

"Lilly gave up on her wings to protect the little rose. Leonard, she is still worried about you and your daughter. "

" Is my mother alive? Where is she? What are the wings? " I couldn't hold myself back. Jason came at that moment and grabbed my hand, and signed to calm down.


"It's high time to tell her the story, Leonard. Mrs. Daisy sat on the couch. Mom's diary was in her hand."

"You can do it better than me. "My father told Mrs. Daisy.

"Sit down Katy and listen to me carefully, your mother is from a different world; the world of angels. This might sound stupid, but it is true. Angels take account of people’s good deeds and bad deeds. When some people faced extreme unfair situations angels are sent here to help them. But in this world, their wings are only visible in the rain.

One angel sent to earth fell in love with a human, despite the warnings from our world she got married and had you. That was your mother, Lilly. As per the law of our world, you cannot keep connections with humans. If so, they make that human disappear to hide the existence of angels. But angels cannot be killed. They disappear on their own.

Your mother was wise enough to protect you and your father. She wanted us, her angel friends to watch you here. So, Jason, my son was here to look after you.

Lilly used your flower scent to protect you. Every angel is named with a flower. And that flower is what protects angels in this world. Your mother is Lilly. I am Daisy; I was here several times when you're small. Jason's middle name is Aster. Aster belongs to Daisy family.

And you Katy your name is Katherine Rose. Since you are a half-angel you are welcomed in our world as the rose. You are a 21-year-old half-angel, your wings are growing and they try to show up now when it's raining.

You were at the top of the church yesterday; you have unconsciously tried to fly. Jason saved you there. This is completely normal. You just have to train yourself to control.

"What happened to my mother? ", wanting to see her so much I asked.  

"When you were born, our world was furious. And tried to make you disappear, but your mother was brave and she insisted, telling that you are a half-angel. But our world gave her a punishment. Your mother agreed and took it, to protect you."

"What was it? "

" They cut her wings, so she can't come to you. But with the help of the magic in our world, she turned her wings into petals of roses for you. White roses my dear, so that she can feel you there as well, little rose."

"She was always with me. Always!" I whipped my tears hoping to meet her someday making her a proud mother of a rose.

Hello Lilly, this is your little rose

who came to see you

with the gift of your wings

my petals grew stronger.


February 21, 2020 02:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.