1 comment

Romance

He was never going to ask her. Katherine paced up and down her bedroom. She was irritated and heartbroken? Is that what this felt like? It seemed even her own mother, the one desperate for society attention, had given up hope. She had already begun to plan the wedding.

For months, the handsome Lord Dewbury had danced with her at every ball at least twice (three times at the Dukes ball to the shock of society). They had met most afternoons for a stroll through the park or tea with her mother. She knew she was on the precipice of a proposal (her very first season too!), yet that all stopped the

week of Christmas. Christmas for goodness sake!

Well, she was not going into 1815 without an engagement. She was going to win herself a Lord. Her mother was likely going to faint over the scandal of it, but sometimes one just had to take matters into one’s own hands. She knew Lord Dewbury cared for her very much. She could see it in his gorgeous green eyes when he looked at her as they danced or in the moonlight when they strolled through the gardens (luckily mother never learned of that tidbit…). But, why had he backed away now of all times?

Tonight, was the annual New Years Ball hosted by the King and all the nobles or notables of the season were invited. It was here she would do it. She was going to propose (or at least find out why she was being ignored!). She would wear the silver gown. This was a New Year’s favorite and one where she knew she could stand out. She would somehow get him to a private corner and just ask him. Yes, it was very improper, but she felt comfortable enough with him at this point. She may embarrass him enough to cause him to flee the country, but at least she would have just done it.

She pulled the dress out of her wardrobe and beckoned her maid to assist her in dressing.

“Katherine!” her mother called as she scurried into her room.

Katherine rolled her eyes. If there was anyone more desperate than her it was her mother. Her mother thought for sure her second daughter had secured a proposal in her first season (her elder sister took three seasons to catch a ring) and these new developments had ruined her.

“Oh,” she gasped, out of breath, “good you are getting ready. I have just heard from Lady Heathers that Lord Dewbury did accept the invitation. I do not want to see you without at least two dances with him!”

Katherine blinked. She was lucky that she had already fallen for this man as her mother was prone to make anything fun out to be a chore.

“You think I don’t know that, mother?” Katherine responded in an annoyed tone. She turned her head slightly as her maid began on the other side of her hair, “Trust me, I have a plan.”

“Do you mind sharing this plan?” replied her mother, her hands had moved to her hips.

“Nope!” Katherine smiled sweetly as she gazed at her mother through the mirror in front of her.

“I do hate these “plans” you make up. You always get into mischief,” her mother muttered.

Katherine smiled. She was always a mischievous child. Yet, being bold helps to get things done, unlike her quiet and proper elder sister. Great things do not come to those who wait.

In only a few hours’ time, Katherine, her mother, and her two younger brothers exited the carriage. The palace was gorgeous. The Christmas garland still hung upon the regal pillars and the inside was adorned with candles along the wall and reds and green coloring. The guards allowed them through into the magnificent ballroom. Katherine looked around, trying to spot the king and queen of course, but also for any sign of Lord Dewbury. Her family was announced by the butler on the stairs and Katherine glided down and put on her most glowing smile.

“Miss Rowlings!” Katherine turned expectantly, but saw it was only old Baron Follet. She sighed. He was searching for his second wife currently and, though he had quite the fortune, she was not interested in sleeping under that for the rest of her life (or, well, his life).  Her mother gave her an expectant look. Obviously, Lord Dewbury was all forgotten when Baron Follet showed up.

Katherine put on another fake grin, “I’d be delighted, Lord Follet.” She took his sweaty palm and did her best to hide a grimace. At least while on the dance floor, she could better scan the room.

“I must say Miss Rowlings, you do look stunning tonight. I have just recently come from my manor out in the country. It is so beautiful with the snow. Do you like the country, Miss Rowlings?” Baron Follet twirled her around as he quickly spoke. He was obviously trying to gage their common interests.

“Yes, of course sir,” Katherine replied. She was not really listening. Her eyes were scanning every corner. She was searching for a hint of thick, auburn hair. A tall figure dressed in his best suit and dashing boots. His eyes and his strong jawline were to die for.

“Miss Rowlings?” Baron Follet’s voice came back into her focus.

“Ah,” she blinked, “I apologize. I have a bit of a headache today Lord Follet.”

“Oh, my dear! I am so sorry. If I had known…” he looked genuinely distressed. The poor man, “Come, I will take you back to your mother.”

“Ah, just take me to the refreshment table. I think a cup of water will do me just fine,” This was her moment of escape. Her mother could not know.

After she was deposited at the table and pleaded with Baron Follet to let her be for the time, she again began her search for her illusive lover. She quickly weaved through the crowds of overdressed party goers, while ignoring the men looking for her dance card, yet there was no sign of him.

Clunk. Next thing she knew, she was on the floor to the shock of many onlookers.

“Ah! I am so sorry,” a voice said, and a gloved hand extended to her. She looked up and met green eyes.

“Ah, so you found me. Finally.” She grinned and looked sweetly up at Lord Dewbury.

He seemed stunned. He had not realized it was her. Katherine narrowed her eyes at him after she stood up. Did he seem tense?

“Heh,” he began to scratch the back of his neck nervously, “Miss Rowlings. Great to see you again”

She pursed her lips and attempted to keep a slightly irritated appearance (It was tough though, he was adorable all flustered), “I’ve been her all week Lord Dewbury.”

Did he just gulp? Since when had she become so intimidating?

She took a deep breath after it was evident, he was not going to respond to that, “Lord Dewbury, I believe I would like a refreshment. Would you accompany me?” She had to get rid of this crowd.

He bowed slightly, “Of course.” He allowed her to take his arm.

Katherine led him away from the party towards the slightly agar door that led to the balcony overlooking the gardens. She knew no one would be out there as the weather was a bit chilly.

“Katherine,” he hissed, “Where are we going?” Ah, he was concerned about decorum now.

Once they were outside, she turned to him.

“Robert, why have you been avoiding me?” she asked. Yes, she knew she needed to get to the matter at hand, but for prides sake she needed to know. “Did I do something to offend you?” she looked up at him innocently.

He turned away and took a deep breath, “No, Katherine. You have done nothing. You are perfect always.”

At first, she thought it was sarcasm (she was really starting to rethink her whole plot), but then she realized he was serious.

“Then why won’t you look at me? I thought we were good friends,” she stepped forward and gently placed her hand upon his, “Actually, I thought we were more than that.” She started to move her hand slowly up his arm, “I still cannot forget that kiss in the gardens at the Dukes. I-I thought it really meant something.”

She felt his arm relax a bit and he turned towards her.

“It did.”

“Then why?”

“It is hard to explain, Katherine. I-I’ve never felt that way before. Maybe I am not ready for this. Maybe I am just a coward,” he moved away from her again.

He wasn’t ready? Was he serious? How could she ask him now?

“Robert, I-I love you,” she felt her stomach flutter nervously. She meant every word but could not believe it had come out of her mouth, “I thought you did too. We’ll learn all of this together. I promise.”

Robert turned to her then. His eyes wide with surprise, but then it changed to a sad smile. He took a step towards her and took her hands.

“I care about you very much as well,” he replied.

Katherine tried her best not to look displeased. Her sister had told her sometimes it takes men a little longer to bring words to their feelings.

“Katherine,” he took a deep breath, “I was not ignoring you. I am sorry. I should have written a note…”

Katherine stepped closer to him. She could smell his familiar scent and her heart surged. She was not going to let him get away. He was her person. He was very kind, thoughtful, and generous. He was not quite as outgoing as she was, as her preferred to work independently at his studies or in his garden. She knew he was shy and, honestly, she was proud of how he really stuck out this season, for her. He went out of his comfort zone for her.

“My father stepped down from his seat last week. H-He has given it to me as he says he is too ill to go on,” He looked up at Katherine. Were his eyes watering? “Katherine… I-I don’t think I am ready for this…”

At this, her heart went out to him and she grasped him close in a hug. He held her close.

“Robert, if anyone can do it, then you can. Your father trusts you and that is why he feels he can retire,” she pulled away and met his eyes, “And I know you can do it. You are the hardest working man I know.”

Robert smiled at that, “Thank you, Katherine. You always know how to boost my confidence.”

Katherine smiled to herself. This was the perfect opportunity.

“Katherine?” Robert asked, a bit confused. Whoops, she had shown too much in her face.

“Also, you won’t have to take on that responsibility alone,” Katherine said nonchalantly.

“What do you mean?” he still held her close in his arms.

“Because, we are getting married,” she smiled and leaned in towards his lips. She brushed her lips against his slowly. She could feel his staggered breaths against her, and she smiled as she pressed her lips against his. He returned the kiss with vigor and she could feel shivers down her body. Robert pulled her closer. Should she take this as a yes?  

When they broke apart (a bit breathless), Katherine grinned mischievously, “So you accept my proposal?”

He gazed at her longingly then broke into a grin, “I thought it was the other way around?”

They both laughed.

“Well, you were never going to do it!” Katherine continued to laugh, “A girl has to do what a girl has to do!”

“You are right I am a fool, aren’t I?” he pulled her to him again and tilted her head to his.

“You are avoiding the question!” she teased.

“Yes, Katherine, I accept,” he pulled her in again for a kiss, but just as their lips touched an explosion of color burst in front of their eyes.

“What?” Katherine stepped towards the balcony and watched as the crowds of party goers streamed into the garden. Beautiful rainbow explosions filled the sky.

“Fireworks!” Robert came up behind her and placed his hands on her waist, “The King really went all out this year.”

Katherine sighed and leaned her head against her, now, fiancé. 1815 was going to be a wonderful year.  

December 26, 2020 20:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sjan Evardsson
21:31 Jan 06, 2021

Good going for Katherine. This was a sweet story, well done. I noticed one typo: "the slightly agar door" - should be ajar... unless the door is made of seaweed gelatin ;) Stay safe and keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.