5 comments

Fantasy

Tom had always been a curious boy, in the sense of inquisitive and also, oddball. He had been a studious, quiet child that no-one really noticed. He did not interrupt people's stories with his own, peppered refrains; he waited to be spoken to and listen intensely to people as they interacted, always holding back.

He was a day-dreamer, wandering through the school corridors without whim or care, brushing past his fellow students in teh lunch hall or in class, but could any of them even close their eyes and recall what he was wearing or his eye or hair colour ? Probably not. He was happy enough. This was enough for him. He did not need to be needed, did not need to be surrounded by the masses, popular I guess. He was not lonely either.

He sauntered back to the station, to catch his daily train home. He noticed how cold it had gotten, and the ice patterns on the platform, criss-crossing and leaving a snail-trail if debris behind, then a puddle as the light shone onto the ice, melting it into nothingness. He saw the yellow line, informing people to keep back, away from the train, but today he felt adventurous. After all, there was no guard there to tell him otherwise; what would happen if he motioned nearer the edge of the platform ? Nothing at all. Other people must have done it and so why not him. Mum and dad were at work and no classmates were there to snitch to teacher. So, looking around him furtively, he motioned his right foot and then hi left, nearer the thick yellow line. He had now crossed over the painted 'border'. Nothing had changed, He was still Tom but this time he had broken a rule. He felt elated, a small victory for the quiet boy who no-one noticed. He did not feel the draft of the oncoming train, push him downwards, spiralling off the platform and onto the edge of the track below. With one sharp gust, the wind had knee-jerked him off the safe platform and onto the track. There was no time to reach up and help himself, he looked to his right and saw the oncoming, speeding train.... chug..chug..churrr.brrr. grrr... chuggety chug. Silence. He closed his eyes. He now opened one eye, slowly, then the other. He was still there, he was alive, he was sane and safe. He looked up and saw a mass of people staring down at him, some were screaming, others were gawping and pointing. What were they pointing to ? he could not fathom what had happened. He got up and took a walk along the track...... slowly and methodically. He looked behind him and there were no footprints. None at all. He pointed his right toe into the snow, the thin,veiled layer of white in front of him. He embedded it, crushed it... or so he thought. There was no trace of a print or mark on the ground. He stood motionless.It dawned on him that he no longer existed, not in the earthly manner of 'being'. He was now a spirit, no longer tangible, no longer visible, but free to roam and play in the snow.

January 07, 2020 11:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Bruno Lowagie
08:32 Jan 16, 2020

Hello, I'm new on Reedsy. I received the "Critique Circle" mail inviting me to read your story and comment it. Be aware that English is not my mother tongue. My comments about language could be wrong. The first thing that jumps to the eye, is that your story is very short. I thought there was a minimum of 1000 words and a maximum of 3000 words. Your story has less than 600 words. Forgetting that rule for a moment, I think this story would be great to enter a "Flash Fiction" contest. I would condense it some more though, so that the punch o...

Reply

Soraya Raza
17:35 Jan 18, 2020

Hi, Thank you for your comments, duly noted. I write in one go, from the heart, there and then, without reviewing or proofing as I feel that something that comes naturally, is the truest form of story. I write for me in all honesty.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:11 Jan 17, 2020

I like your choice of wording! It was short and to the point. I'm a little curious on what he was thinking and feeling at the moment before falling but overall great story! I really enjoyed how you ended the story so it could be almost librating to the character. It's different and blissful!

Reply

Soraya Raza
17:34 Jan 18, 2020

Hi, It is part based on someone I know. He was depressed, at a low point right then - he had a loving family but they were all busy and he felt alone. He had just finished school, had received his school report and felt worthless. A teacher had reprimanded him and he was lost; he had done his best and felt he had failed. Thank you for your comments.

Reply

04:26 Jan 19, 2020

I'm sorry for you and the person. I don't know him but I'm sure anyone would love the tribute. You did an amazing job with your story! I appreciate the ending even more now for your optimism. I'm looking forward to seeing your future stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.