26 comments

General

Finally it has arrived. That one weekend a year the two of you get the chance to escape. Escape from all the pressures of work, the distractions of home and of course the kids. Your three delightful offspring have gone to Grandma’s or Aunt and Uncle’s house or the home of a friend to stay. For two nights there is only the two of you, a chance to reconnect.

The trip is a long one, only two hours in the car but it takes all day what with the stops along the way at wineries (many of those) and of course the beach. You both love wine and the platter you choose at the third one you stop at has an incredible assortment of local cheeses, cold meats and the best pitted olives you have ever tasted. And the beach, that is a must on your list of stops. You both met at the beach, much younger then and slimmer too. Regardless of how the years have changed you both your summer escape always includes a swim in the sea, laughter, freedom, simple joy. You both smell like salt and spray when you hop back in your family van and the couples retreat continues.

Eventually you reach your destination, it is often mid-afternoon. Enough time to unload your bags and bring in the bottles of wine bought throughout the day. There is a short period of time when you explore the house. There is an open fireplace at some, a spa for two at every one; it is still too warm for either though, maybe after sunset. The air conditioner is a blessing, turned on as you walk in you already feel relief from the hot car and the sizzling day.

Soon enough you find the bedroom and all of those wonderful feelings of freedom and escape twist and turn to develop into remembered love and rediscovered lust. You are together alone, no phones, no kids and no distractions. With your eyes only for each other you fulfill twelve long months of pent up desire. Sure you’ve had moments throughout the year when the sparks of passion have ignited. Away from it all is where the sparks turn to a blaze and then an inferno. That is why you have two days away, enough time to reconnect. Passions rise and fall only to rise again. In between is time for deep and meaningful, to talk about the serious things you normally can’t because little ears listen and phones buzz and flash. There is no television so nothing to numb the senses, no news, no DVDs. This time there is an old gramophone and a collection of vinyl. The classics are there and also one or two of your favorites. One of you likes Rock and one of you likes Pop and so through love and an unspoken respect you switch genres regularly. You even try one or two of the records from a yesteryear. As you both imitate the brass and the pin whistle flute you cannot help but fall in to fits of laughter.

The kitchen is well stocked and you both peer into the depths of the white giant fridge, thinking of the feast you plan for breakfast. As the hour drifts close to eight you hunt for pots and pans and together some sort of meal takes form. All you seek is fuel to help you regain your energies. The passion is there and it sparks again in the kitchen while the food cooks and sweet smells waft through the house. You return to the stove just before the lot is burned and the meal over before it has begun. More laughter as blackness is scraped from pots and those dirty pans are left to soak. More talk as the meal makes you sleepy. More kisses, more caresses and then with a knowing smile and a playful wink you return to bed.

As the hot summer sun rises on a brand new day you welcome it with a coffee and a smile or perhaps a glass of champagne to go with the breakfast goodies. The whole day is ahead of you with no responsibilities and still no distractions. All that is on the cards is togetherness.

The day passes slowly, lazily, leisurely. Memories are shared and new ones are made. Another weekend escape is almost over and yet there is so many more hours of one another to enjoy. More wine is drunk, more records played. The spa is nice, but the bed is nicer. It is your world away from reality where you can recall time before commitment and sneak some moments to feel that same feeling again.

For those two days there is bliss, satisfaction and the feeling of utter contentment. This is why you ache for these two days each and every year. This is why you continually promise yourself another two later on, or you make believe that life will be like this once the kids have gone and created lives of their own. And sometimes you are lucky and these thoughts of the future eventually do come true. And sometimes all you have is those two days every year.

The drive home is far different. Your mind is a whir with all the commitments thought left behind that rush towards you with the return trip. You talk and laugh and listen to the music pouring forth from the radio. There is that song you heard and you both laugh as the brass and flute combine. A reconnection has been made. You consider another dip as the beach flies by. A way to truly cement the passion and respect that has been rekindled in such a short period of time. But you realize you are already late and two days is all the time you will receive. Not wanting to push your luck you hurry back to the real world as quickly as you can. You stay for a bit to show your appreciation. Kids climb aboard the van to stamp the fact the weekend is officially over and soon enough your house, the place where you shelter for the rest of the year, becomes your horizon and then your world once more.

That is until the next year comes around, another adventure that awaits your planning, another time to reconnect. Another cottage to visit in the heat of the summer.

August 04, 2020 04:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Amogh Kasat
12:49 Aug 24, 2020

It's a wonderful story! Please read my latest story The Secret Organisation { Part 2 }

Reply

Tim Law
23:12 Aug 26, 2020

Glad you enjoyed it. I’ll check out your latest now.

Reply

Amogh Kasat
04:55 Aug 27, 2020

I would be waiting for your comment and like

Reply

Tim Law
21:37 Aug 27, 2020

Have liked and left a comment on your latest story yesterday 👍 A very interesting idea with a good twist at the end, well done!

Reply

Amogh Kasat
01:49 Aug 28, 2020

thanks

Reply

Tim Law
12:37 Aug 28, 2020

How do you establish so many likes?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shreya S
09:03 Aug 11, 2020

So so well written! I’ve never experienced something like this so it was amazing to read!

Reply

Tim Law
21:17 Aug 11, 2020

Thanks so much Shreya for your kind praise. Often I try to tap into the emotion of a story and with this one I think I may have gotten it right. Please read some of my other stories too as I would love to know what you think of them as well.

Reply

Shreya S
03:00 Aug 12, 2020

Of course, thanks for the invite!

Reply

Tim Law
09:58 Aug 12, 2020

Awesome Shreya! That means a lot 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aditya Pillai
09:15 Aug 09, 2020

Such a wonderful, wonderful read! So sweet, I loved this. That amazing feeling of being free from all the stress and hustle-bustle of daily life and the chance to create new memories has been conveyed so well. Really great stuff. Would really love to hear your thoughts on my latest! :)

Reply

Tim Law
09:59 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you so much Aditya for taking the time to read my story. So many beautiful memories, I just love weekend escapes. Thanks for the invite to check out your writing too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:00 Aug 07, 2020

Such a sweet story, I really enjoyed it.

Reply

Tim Law
12:39 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you so much Catherine. I'm glad you enjoyed my story so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
10:29 Aug 06, 2020

The drive home is always different, isn't it? I can relate to that feeling very well... Would you mind reading my recent story out, "(Pink)y Promise"? Thank you :D

Reply

Tim Law
21:15 Aug 06, 2020

I totally agree Deborah... An entire year of building expectations and excitement then 48 magical hours followed by a VERY different car trip home again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tim Law
21:17 Aug 06, 2020

Happy to check out your story too! Please read some of my earlier stories and comment, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Jessie Nice
09:58 Aug 05, 2020

You have captured the blissful feeling of being away perfectly; made me nostalgic. Well done :)

Reply

Tim Law
21:18 Aug 05, 2020

Thanks so much Jessie for your feedback. I’m lucky the once a year happened just last month for my wife and I. The memories of the two days are still fresh.

Reply

Jessie Nice
23:41 Aug 05, 2020

Nothing like a blissful change of scene to make the creative juices flow!

Reply

Tim Law
21:18 Aug 06, 2020

So true Jessie! Kind of makes me want to plan another weekend of inspiration...

Reply

Jessie Nice
22:15 Aug 06, 2020

Do it - and with no regrets!!

Reply

Tim Law
07:16 Aug 08, 2020

You sound like you may be a bad influence! Just the kind of influence we all need these days. The power of YES!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.