1 comment

Science Fiction

I stare up at the black void known as space. It seemed to be taunting me, mocking me. The stars glow bright, thousands in the sky while I’m all alone sitting with no one around me. Tears start to fill my eyes as I remember the sad truth. Everyone I loved, everyone I cared, everyone I knew, gone. Coronavirus. The coronavirus took everything from me but it wasn’t like that mattered now. I’m the only one left. I was spared. But why me? Why was I the only left? I can’t question myself again, I can’t go back. I must look forward to survive. 

The rumbling of waves snapped me back to reality. I stood up from the comforting spot in the sand and gave myself a reality check. My stomach rumbled in anger begging for food. The smell of the ocean’s waves made me crave salt. I don’t care what I just needed something salty. My feet led to nearby gas station which was deserted, sometimes I’d see cars just parked but no one in them. I opened the door and the bell rung. The store lights glitched as it seemed that the store didn’t have much power left. My hand ran against the wall as memories came flooding back. How we use to get slushies, how it was a tradition my little sister and I got snacks and a soda and binge watch Stranger Things but that can’t happen anymore. Her little sister was dead. 

More tears began to fill my eyes. I couldn’t bear the memories anymore as I start to sob. I grab a bag of lays and open them. I swallowed them as if they were nothing to drown my sorrows. Suddenly I hear a rumble from the back of the store. I jump in fright of the sound. I had never heard a sound in a gas station, not since…. My body trembles as the rustling continues and begins to grow.  Out of fear the first thing I grab was doritos. I know, stupid. Inch by inch, I continue to the sound when I turn the corner. Fear hits me as I see a human figure rustling through the freezer. 

“AHHHHHHH,” I screamed as loud as I could. Fear shook me as it took ahold of my body. The human like figure stops and looks back. They stare back at me in as much fear as I am. 

“AHHHHHHH,” the person screamed. That just caused me to scream and we then screamed in unison. We both then stopped and stared at each other. Was this real? Was this actually real? I was not alone! I’m not alone!

“Who are you?” the person questioned me with a hint of fear in their voice. The voice was a deep husky voice. I could tell it was a male but I couldn’t determine what age he was. I took a deep breath trembling, still the doritos in my hand. I slowly lower my arm.

“My name is Melody King, who are you?” I questioned back. I stared at him with glare unsure of what I thought of this man. I could tell the man was as nervous as I was. He glared back at me as he took deep breaths.

“My name is Leo Lopez, I just was searching for some food,” Leo replied with a hint of anxiety in his voice. He was just as unsure as I was. We both stared right into each others eyes searching for answers of how this was possible. 

“I thought I was the only one,” I murmured under my breath in shock. The man’s eyes all of a sudden changed. They changed to sadness and shock, almost relief. We sat there in silence which seemed like forever. 

“Are you the only one?” Leo stammered breaking the silence. He was acting like me, unsure what to say. I slowly nodded. I couldn’t think of any words. There were no words to this feeling of hope and sadness, like a mixture of sweet and sour. 

I opened the bag of doritos and took one out of the bag. As I put the chip in my mouth I look down and hear a faint rumble from his stomach, almost like cry for help. I stared back up to see Leo’s ocean’s blue eyes stare at begging. Begging for comfort. I put my hand out offering doritos to him as he stared at me to make sure it was ok. I nod in approval as he took a single dorito and placed it in his mouth. I knew we both wanted to say something but there was nothing to say. The silence pounded into my head. I had to break this silence. But it seems that he beat me to it.

“Tell me about yourself,” Leo spat out. He was still anxious, I could tell as he stared down at his hands. I sighed with a hint of fear in it.

“Well I’m 17 years old, I had a little sister named Mira, I love to sing and write,” I began really unsure what I could tell him. “What about you?”

“I’m 17 years old, I had a little brother named Liam, I also love to sing and act,” Leo stammered. As we continued to talk we started to get to know more and more about each other like his favorite color is yellow and he loves animals. As we talked all evening the more I felt like I had known this man all my life. Like I could trust him with my life. There was a unexplainable connection between us that just made me want to be near him, be with him. The night ended with me curled up in his arms as we both fell asleep.


~

The next morning I awoke to birds chirping as sunlight lit up my face almost blinding me. I turned my head to see resting his head on my shoulder with his arms around me. My heart began to skip and beat out of my chest. I couldn’t believe that I actually was with a real human. I’m here as someone is holding me in there arms. I’m safe here. I’m safe with him. As I took a deep breath, Leo opened his eyes and stared at me. His eyes stared at me like I was the only thing in the world which made my mind spin. 

“Hey Mel,” Leo said cheerfully. I chuckled as he wrapped his arm around me. We both sat up and stared at each other eyes full of hunger. I stared deeply as I saw desire. Our faces leaned in closer and closer until our lips touched. It was a soft peck until he grabbed my chin an made our tongues dance. My stomach got butterflies as we continued to kiss. I wasn’t alone anymore, I was safe with him. God granted me a miracle and I’m not letting go. This love we have is special. I’m finally happy, I’m finally complete and nothing can take away my happiness, for we are the last of them.


April 29, 2020 22:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Len Mooring
23:56 May 06, 2020

I thought your last line was going to be: "Well, I guess we'd better get down to populating this world again." However, very good and I think you got it right about one's reaction to this, 'only one left,' scenario. You wrote well.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.