Mayhem Backstage (Part 1)

Written in response to: Write about a character pretending to be someone they’re not.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fiction

If there is one thing you must know about me, it is that I love music. I listen to it every day, on the bus, at school, even during class. Music has a calming effect on me. It helps me forget about my surroundings and enters me into a brand new world in which I want to stay in forever. It makes me feel safe and protected.

So you can imagine my excitement on Thursday, August 12, when my friend, Mari, showed me what she got in the mail.

“Backstage passes to the White Moon’s concert on Sunday!” she squealed. “I still can’t believe it!”

At first, I was ecstatic. I’ve always wanted to go backstage when there was a mega-concert happening, and White Moon is the biggest band in the state.

But then, uneasiness engulfed the happiness. Who even sent the letter in the first place?

“Uhh, I don’t know,” Mari said when I asked her. 

I poked around until I got an answer. Sorry, I’m just really paranoid and cautious… jeez! 

As a wise old person once said, "It's better to be safe than sorry."

“A childhood friend of mine sent the tickets when he found out he wouldn’t be in the area for the concert,” Mr. Haze (Mari’s dad) answered. I breathed in relief, a grin dancing on my face.

 This.

 Is. 

Gonna.

Be. 

Awesome!

***

When I told my parents, they were surprisingly open to it. They usually hate it when I go somewhere without them. Especially my mom.

(To give you an example of what I am, ponder this; I have NEVER been to a sleepover. Yeah. I know. It's sad)

“Of course you can go, sweetie! It’ll be a wonderful experience!” my mom gushed as she typed business emails.

“I’m okay with it as long as you stick with Mari,” my dad huffed as he read the newspaper. 

Step 1, complete!

***

I love concerts, it’s just… what to wear...?

I wanted to were a comfy pair of jeans and a jacket, but Mari said no.

(She didn't say, she yelled, but whatever.)

“This is a very serious event and moment in our lives! You can’t show up in old, baggy clothes you got years ago!”

I wanted to protest, but the expression Mari had on her face convinced me otherwise. 

One thing I’ve learned from our year-long friendship; Never, EVER, disobey Mari. You could end up with a nasty bruise.

Just saying. 

Anyhoo, I went through my entire wardrobe until I found something Mair-certified. A white shirt with a blue jacket, and ripped jeans. 

Mari is OBSESSED with ripped jeans.

Especially the ones that are so ripped, there’s literally no point in wearing pants at all. 

Boy, we are really getting off-topic, aren’t we?

ANYWAY (I swear this is the last time I say that), after we were all dressed and ready to go, we jumped into my car and drove to the concert. As we were driving, we listened to one of White Moon’s hit songs, “Listen”.

When we got there, we parked our car in the “Reserved” section, my excitement running high. When we got to the gate, a burly-looking security guard met us.

"Tickets please," he grumbled.

Mari dug through her purse, her expression growing more worried by the second. She pulled me aside and whispered,

“The tickets… I can’t find it!”

I gaped at her. “What do you mean, you can’t find it?!” I hissed.

“I mean… it’s gone!” 

We glanced at the security guard, who was glaring in our direction. 

“Do you think we left it at home?” Mari whimpered.

“Even if we did, we can’t get it! The show starts in 30 minutes, and it took us an hour to get here,” I groaned.

Mari looked like she was going to start crying.

All hoped seemed lost… until…

“There you guys are! We have been looking everywhere!” a man in his early 20’s yelled at us. He was wearing a black suit and headpiece. He stormed over with a furious expression.

“This is Kevin. I’ve located Ash and Victoria. They will be coming soon,” he said into the headpiece. He grabbed our wrists and dragged us through the door. The security guard looked at us in mingled disbelief and annoyance. Mari looked at me in fear. What was going on? Why would he think we’re Ash and Victoria Blakley?

(Btw, they’re the lead singers of the band. We all caught up now? Good.)

“You guys have to go on stage in like, 25 minutes! So hurry up!” he moaned as we walked backstage.

My mind couldn’t take in what I was seeing.

Buttons, ropes, levers, gears. Millions of thingies controlling everything you saw on stage. I got hyper just looking at it. Staff was running around, checking everything and putting final touches on the singer’s makeup. Kevin stopped walking and looked at us in disgust.

“Why are you so late?” he demanded. “The show starts soon, and you guys aren’t even in costume!”

Mari was at a loss for words. Kevin raised an eyebrow, and I knew a better say something.

“Umm, traffic?”

He looked right at me, his blue eyes piercing me. 

“Hmmph. Barely an excuse. Anyway, change! Pronto! Your costumes are on the rack over there,” he said, pointing to a rack ten feet from us.

We started walking toward the rack. “What in the world is happening?” Mari asked feverishly. “Why didn’t you tell him it wasn’t us?”

I shrugged. We changed and walked up towards Kevin. Mari was looking at me like I lost my mind. 

(Okay, don’t ask me what I was doing. My brain was turned to mush at that point, and I was, as they say, going with the flow). 

When we reached Kevin, he was talking to two people, a boy and a girl. They looked harassed and tired. Kevin turned around, glaring at us. I immediately recognized the boy and girl, and judging by Mari’s gasp, she did it.

It was Ash and Victoria.

***

August 21, 2021 01:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.