Eloise's Development

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story in the form of a top-ten list.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids Happy LGBTQ+

  1. Get a castle to live in!!

Eloise glanced behind her, making sure that her younger sisters were following along. The four girls reached the front door of the fourth floor apartment, and Eloise shakily unlocked it. She swung the door open, her breathing shallow. Her sisters peeked around her, and little Alice gasped.

“Oh, Ellie!” The five year old girl exclaimed. “It’s so cool!”

She dashed into the apartment, spinning around and crashing into the old couch that was provided. A small cloud of dust rose from it, and Eloise internally cringed. But the young girls didn’t seem to notice the dustiness. Eloise entered the living room, and Rosalie and Jocelyn followed. Jocelyn ran down the hallway, Alice following quickly behind her. 

“Which room is mine?” Eight year old Jocelyn shouted back to Eloise.

“Josey and Allie are sharing the room on the right, and Rosie and I are sharing the one on the left.” She responded absentmindedly, taking in the apartment around her. She couldn’t believe that she had done this, all on her own. She could hear her younger sisters arguing goodnaturedly about where their beds would go, and then she heard Alice begin to shout.

She chuckled and jogged down the hallway, going to break up the bickering. She couldn’t wait for the girls to start their brand new life here.

2. Have lotsa kids!!

Eloise held a sleepy Alice in her arms, glancing down at her watch. It was 5 minutes past 8 o’clock, and they had been standing in line for over forty-five minutes. Eloise sighed and shifted her weight. The movement startled Alice, who whined quietly and slipped out of Eloise’s arms. The little girl clung to Eloise’s leg, and looked up at Rosalie. She tugged on Rosalie’s shirt, and the twelve year old looked down. 

“Rosie, gotta potty.” Alice mumbled tiredly.

Rosalie rolled her eyes, and scooped her younger sister up. Eloise watched as her sisters headed toward the bathroom, Rosalie pushing the door open and taking Alice in. Eloise smiled to herself. She was so proud of Rosie, she was proud of all of the girls. They were all turning into smart young ladies, and Eloise had never expected to make it this far. She had never expected to live this long. Her mind started to wander, thinking back to all of the horrible memories that were forced upon her and her sisters by their parents. They were going to make new memories. Happy ones. She was broken out of her reverie by Jocelyn elbowing her in the side. She looked at her, and Jocelyn cut her eyes forward.

“Eloise Turner?” The clerk repeated, sounding exasperated. 

Eloise hurried forward, and her younger sisters all followed. The girls were back from the bathroom, and Alice peeked up over the counter. They all held their breath as Eloise scribbled her signature onto the paperwork, and was handed a small envelope. They stared at each other, and Eloise opened the envelope. Inside was a perfectly folded certificate; an adoption certificate. The sisters stared at it, and then at each other. Their eyes were shining, and Eloise took her sisters into her arms. The girls all embraced, and when they pulled away from each other, they were sniffling. Eloise smiled tearily at the clerk, who looked bored. She gathered the paperwork and led the younger girls outside, and into the car. On the way home, Eloise glanced in the rearview mirror. The girls were cuddled up with one another, snoring quietly. Eloise smiled softly. She was not their sister anymore. She was their mother.

3. Go to school!!

Eloise pulled her long blue robe over her sparkly dress. Alice motioned for her to bend down, and gently placed her graduation cap on her head. She then stepped back, and smiled at her younger sisters.

“How do I look?” She questioned.

Alice squealed, and Josey answered her question.

“So pretty!”

Eloise chuckled, thanking them. She then glanced down at her new phone.

“Oh shit!” She exclaimed. “We’re gonna be late!”

The girls scrambled to grab their things, and then dashed out the front door. Rosalie buckled Alice into her carseat, and they sped off. 

Once there, Eloise led her sisters to their seats. She then looked over at Rosalie.

“Remember, no moving from here. If they have to use the bathroom, then text me. I have my phone on vibrate, okay?”

Rosalie rolled her eyes goodnaturedly.

“Of course, Ellie. Duh. Now go, or you’re gonna miss your graduation!”

Eloise chuckled, and jogged quickly onto the floor. The girls sat down, watching their oldest sister adoringly. They couldn’t believe she was graduating from college!

They watched as she lined up with the other graduates, beaming at the crowd. The younger girls twiddled their thumbs as the other people collected their diplomas, applauding politely once the person had stepped off the stage.

After what seemed like forever, their sister’s name was called. Their heads shot up, and they watched her slowly walk up and grab her diploma. She shook her professor's hand, and thanked the crowd for coming. She smiled up at her sisters, and walked off the stage.

The sisters stood up, screaming and cheering for Eloise. They were more proud than they had ever been. Eloise was now a college graduate!

4. Find my prince!!

Eloise pushed open the door of the small coffee shop, the bell jingling as she walked in. She ordered a chai latte, and sat down at one of the many empty tables. She pulled out her phone, shooting a text to Rosalie. She was at home babysitting the girls, and Eloise was a bit worried. She sipped her latte, scrolling through Instagram, when suddenly she heard the bell jingle once again. 

She looked up to see a tall, slender woman walking up to the counter. She had flowing red hair, and was wearing a black leather jacket with ripped jeans. She saw Eloise staring and smirked at her, ordering her coffee and wandering over to her.

“Hey,” She drawled. “I’m Estella.”

Eloise looked startled, but responded quickly.

“Uh, I’m Eloise!”

Estella chuckled. 

“Well, it’s nice to meet you, Eloise. You’re very charming.”

Eloise could feel her face flushing, and she smiled slightly.

“T-thanks! No one’s ever told me that before,” She giggled. 

Estella pulled up a chair at the table. She sipped her coffee, and pulled out her phone.

“You’re cute.” She stated, making Eloise turn red. “How about we exchange numbers?”

Eloise’s mouth was glued shut, but she shakily handed her phone over to Estella. Estella entered her phone number, and grinned at Eloise. She finished her coffee and stood up.

“Thanks, Elle!” She flounced out of the door, the bell tinkling. Eloise stared as Estella left, her face still bright red. Had that really just happened? 

5. Get married!

Eloise straightened out her dress, slipping her feet into her off-white heels. She checked the mirror to make sure her hair was still in place, and stood at the end of the long line. She watched impatiently as Alice and Jocelyn, her flower girls, made their way slowly down the aisle and to the stage. Then went the precession; Eloise’s best friends and cousins. Finally, after what seemed like forever, Eloise was able to make her way down the aisle.

She made sure to walk slowly and carefully, not wanting to fall and embarrass herself on her wedding day. She lifted her skirt up gently to walk up the small set of stairs, and joined Estella at the altar. Rosalie, her bridesmaid, fluffed out her skirt and veil, then quickly backed away.

For Eloise, the ceremony was a blur. But she does remember one thing.

“Eloise Grace Turner, do you take Estella Ariana Marano to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?”

Eloise looked Estella in the eyes. She couldn’t believe she had found such a beautiful person. 

“I do.”

“Estella Ariana Marano, do you take Eloise Grace Turner to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?”

“I do.” Estella’s eyes were wet.

“I now declare you wife and wife. You may kiss the bride.”

The two women’s lips embraced, lingering. They softly pulled away, and Estella leaned her forehead against Eloise’s. 

“I love you.”

Eloise smiled tearily, and then glanced back at her sisters. Her life was complete.

December 28, 2020 22:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.