We got hired, so we fought

Submitted into Contest #45 in response to: Write a story about activism.... view prompt

0 comments

General


     Samantha paced the corridor of the city hall. Her breath was caught in her throat. Today was the day of her interview at “Robotic dramatics.” Out of all jobs she applied for before, this one she might actually be able to snag. Something was to be said for not being hired for the color of your skin.

Robotic dramatics was said to be the leading robotic center where new robots were constructed, designed, or demolished.

In Samantha’s case, she wanted to be nowhere near the robots herself. She felt nothing could be done if an accident were to befall the company. Alternatively, she was applying to help with the robotic design.

Near her, an older man was muttering to himself. The only phrases she was able to catch were “The rubbish of this community is killing me. I’d die before I have to work anywhere near a person of color in this town again.”

she tried not to side glance at him. Instead, she kept her head down and studied her brown hands. However, the slightest bit of curiosity did overtake her. She wondered if this man thought that way, why would he want to apply in the first place?

Realistically, she couldn’t agree more with the problems in their community. She was all but 14 and allowed to work in a place of high tech and factory machines.

All these problems aside, Samantha had one goal in mind. To get this job. If she could, that means she could be the voice her community needs to bring by change.

At last, the women working at the front desk came to get her. A young woman who was barely in her 20s stood in the doorway. Just like Samantha, she had dark skin. The only difference was she appeared exhausted and worn down, even old for her age. At least her voice was as smooth as honey.

“Samantha, Mr. Cox will see you now”

Samantha stood up and followed the young woman down the dimly lit hall.

While on their short-lived walk, Samantha caught sight of the run down walls. Posters with mixed messages plastered over the cracks.

Samantha’s face drained of color as she realized there was no other person of color in the waiting room.

She remained silent. The woman said nothing either, not even a word of comfort. Quickly, they reached the office of Mr. Cox.

The young woman thrust open the grandly built door and allowed Samantha in.

“Ah ms. Samantha welcome. Take a seat please”

It was Mr. Cox’s voice. To Samantha, he appeared as a short and stocky man with a jolly voice. She took a seat in a chair that just didn’t seem to fit the room.

“So Samantha, I’m going to ask you a few questions, then you should be able to leave”

“Yes, s-sir.” Her voice shook.

“So Samantha, what qualities can I expect from you?”

“I’m hardworking and willing to learn”

The interview seemed to go on what felt like forever. When it concluded, Samantha was escorted out of the building and was told she would get a call back if she got the job.

Two nights after her interview, when Samantha was eating dinner with her family. The phone rang. Samantha jolted upwards and flew to answer.

“Hello? Mr. Cox? I got the job!”

Literally, she jumped for joy. Elated, she went to tell her family, who congratulated her and thought they should go to an ice cream shop to celebrate.

The next day came crashing fast, today was the day Samantha was to start work. A mix of exciting emotions ran through her head. Just briefly, she thought about the day before, what the man sitting next to her said. It was enough to shake her confidence, but not her spirit.

She entered the building expecting an escort. Instead, there was a sign telling where new employees should go. She followed it to the robotic design center. There, she was greeted by a boy. He had blonde hair and light green eyes.

With one look his face grew disgusted.

“Hi, um no. I think the boss meant you work as waste management there.” With all snootiness involved, he pointed to a gray trash can. Next to it, a broom lay still, with an unsanded appearance.

 He whispered to his friend sitting next to him.

“Uh of course the boss hired another person of color.”

Samantha looked at the broom and sighed. Already, she felt like she was about to cry. This wasn’t how she expected to be treated. Of course, she knew better. Her father used to get the same punishment. At least he was able to get paid a little more.

After sweeping the floors, she was told to scrub them. Regrettably, she obliged.

A young boy around Samantha’s age walked into her area of cleansing.

“Hey, you boy! I just washed there!”

“S-sorry miss. I’m new here. I was told to help scrub the floors.”

“Well, I’m new too. Next time, please don’t step where I just cleaned” Samantha looked up from her obligation, for the first time, she got to study the boy. Just like her, he had dark skin and soft hands.

“Something's wrong here. That white boy was my age, and he’s already working with robot design and judging by his name tag, he’s a newcomer too.” She thought angrily scrubbing the floor.

By the time they were finished, Samantha’s hands were already full of splinters from the broom and sore from scrubbing the floors.

She was nervous to tell her parents about her unfair treatment. She’s heard about racism before but never had a firsthand experience. She recalled what her grandpa told her before he passed away.

“Samantha, if there’s any way you can bring change and help our brothers and sisters of color. Do it.”

“I promise I will grandpa!”

Now filled with determination, she knew what she had to do. In school, she learned how Rosa Parks refused to move to the back of the bus. Suppositively, if she and the boy were to gather others, they can stand their ground together.

Of course, research about her job was to be done, such as how many people of color work there, and how much may support her cause.

As soon as she got home, she skipped dinner, told her parents work was “Ok”, and got to studying. In her findings, she realized that the people of color that were employed worked in waste management too. She made the executive decision to interview some former employees.

That same night, she snuck out of her house to do just that. Just as she thought, the ones being interviewed mainly said they’d scrub the floors or take care of waste such as Samantha did.

When she returned home again, she seized the leftover blueprints her dad left in his office and got to work on a unique design.

“This place better be ready for change tomorrow” Samantha smiled.

The next day arrived as quickly as night fell. Samantha was back at work. However, instead of taking her post at the waste management, she walked straight up to where the robotic designers worked. Her original blueprints in hand.

Beforehand, she was sure to convince her co-worker, the same young black boy to join her cause and gave him her blueprints. Simply because of her leadership skills and proof of determination, she was able to get him to convince others to join the cause. Luckily most easily agreed, yet some were unsure due to the risk being fired.

When she came to the robotics room, she got many stares of hate. Ignoring them, she walked straight up to the planning table of blueprints and grabbed one.

The same blonde boy from before jumped in front of her taking the blueprints from her hand.

“Hey what are you doing!? This isn’t your place!”

“So what if it isn’t my place?!? It’s what I applied for and what I got! You’re the fool that shoved me down to management and with what authority?”

Shocked, the boy looked at her.

“Dustin help me get this useless black girl out of here!”

Dustin began to walk forward. Just as this happened, the same young black boy came with a group of recruited activists.

“Don’t you dare talk to me that way,” Samantha roared.

“Would a useless black girl be able to create the ideal robotic blueprints?” The young boy said. He held a blue paper. The blonde boy snatched it from her hands and started to tear it.

An older man in the same room took the blueprints from his hands.

“This...part is just what I needed to finish my design. I say she stays! Her black friends too!”

The more her design was passed around. The more supporters of all ethnic backgrounds she gained.

In the end, she made her mark. She brought that change she promised her grandfather so long ago. People of color were now sent straight to robotic design right along with all others.

As reparation for racism, Dustin and The blonde boy were fired. Additionally, they had to write letters of apology to all the employees. Lastly, the woman that brought Samantha to her interview, was finally able to spend time with her kids because she didn’t have to work overtime every day. Change is possible when we stand together, not apart.








June 11, 2020 19:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.