1 comment

Fiction

That's the thing about this city; you either stand out or become just another face in the crowd. Luther came from a small town in Eastern Kentucky and always dreamed of moving to the city. Luther had fallen in love with the architecture and the big city lights. It was nothing like where he grew up and in fact; it was just the opposite.

Wallowhole was a small community that had fields and more fields. The type of place that you could leave your doors unlocked at night and families leaned on each other during hard times. The type of place that you went to church every Thursday night and twice on Sunday. A slower pace that many; just like Luther had taken for granted but was always calling them home.

Luther had got a great job as a sports promoter and was living out his dream. Now he gets to stare down and watch the busy city. From his window he could see the glare of headlights as they whipped across the roads and buildings. No way would you ever seen anything like this back home he thought; as he enjoyed a nice sip of Jim Beam. "Kentucky Made Bourbon," he said allowed and at that moment his cell phone began to ring a; as if it was right on cue.

"Luther here! Whose calling?" Luther could here someone crying and then it hit him. Something had happened back home. "Who is this?" The frustration growing slowly building in his voice and then the voice on the other end spoke. "Luther, it's Lee and I think that you need to come home. It's urgent." Luther had left on bad terms and when he left; he chose to move faraway. Away from every bad memory he had of "Back Home".

"Lee, please just tell me what's going on. What has happened?" "Luther, Lance is passing and doesn't have much time left. He has terminal cancer and is not expected to live much longer." There it was; Lance was Luther's younger brother and one of the very few things that he loved from back home. As Lee continued to talk; Luther got lost in the memories of his brother and how his brother gave him so much grief for moving away. Lance had told his brother; "The thing about this city or any city; if you aren't with people that love you...Then you just become another warm body in the city. It's not like home, Luther! Home is where your family is and where you are always loved."

Luther had not noticed that Lee had hung up or even noticed that he had dropped the phone and now lays broken on the floor. Luther had to get back home and quickly. He had to say his goodbyes to his best friend and brother. In his head ; he went over what he wanted to say and no one in this moment mattered. Luther just grabbed his work bag and light jacket; before he hit the road. Luther, was out and gone in less than 5 minutes; on the way to a place that he had tried so hard to forget.

As the night dragged on and he began to wonder; who he was going to see or even what he might say in certain situations but he forced those thoughts out of his head because Lance is all that matters right now.

6 hours later and he is pulling off I-64. Left turn takes him to Wallowhole and right turn would take him to Maysville. The big AA highway; the road that was made years ago and just like many things around the area.. It had failed to do what the local politicians had hoped for and that was to bring more revenue but it never materialized. He turned left and pulled into the local Super America . Luther felt a knot in the pit of his stomach; nothing changes in this area and that includes the local landscape.

Luther walks into the gas station and browses the inventory. As he walks up to the drink coolers; he grins when he see's the green glass bottle labeled "Ale8 (AKA: A late one)". This was a drink that is only made in Kentucky and a right of passage for all that were born there. "Will this be all for you sir?" said the cashier; not even making eye contact with Luther and for a moment he felt like he was back in the big city again. Luther just nodded as if to say yes and thanks to the speediness of the cashier; Luther was quickly on his way. To say goodbye to best part of his life; goodbye to his brother and best friend. As he drives he can hear Lance saying "That's the problem with this city, you're not with people that love you." He felt a tear go down his cheek and he whispered; "Goodbye my brother until we meet again."

As Luther pulled into the drive way; he looked at all the cars in the drive way and he felt the tension building up. He wasn't here for the meet and greet or to catch up on gossip. For Luther; once he says goodbye to Lance; he was leaving here and never looking back. He looked around and the place still looked like it did from his childhood. Luther could hear people talking and glaring at his car. He hadn't been home in so long and of course no one recognized his car but without a doubt; they knew that it was him. Back home, Luther stood out and he hated that but he always knew that he didn't belong in "Wallowhole".

As he stepped out of his car, he could feel the gravel crunch underneath his feet and he thought to himself, "Well less get this horse and pony show started." He tucked his head down and gradually walked into the house. He went to someone he didn't recognize and someone he hoped didn't know him. He just wanted to see Lance and dip out; before anyone could start talking to him. "Excuse me! I'm here to say goodbye to Lance. Do you know where he is?" The teenager looked up shyly and pointed in the direction of the bedroom that they had shared as kids. He stood outside the door and trying to remember everything that he wanted to say to say to Lance but he just choked up. He slipped into the room and there in the dim light; Lance was laying there. Luther walked over and took his brother's hand and cried. Lance woke up and tried to smile but to no avail. "It's ok little brother, I know". They stared at each other and then through tears, Lance began to talk. " The trouble with the city is that family isn't there but we are always around. It's a shame that we didn't have more time but I will watch over you and slap you around when you get out of line; Luther". They laughed like they were kids again and for moment; they forgot that soon cancer would be taking the best brother anyone could ask for.

As Luther tried to say something, the words just would not come out and he realized that this is it! The final head nod, the final until I see you again but it was. For a long time they just stared at each other, no works spoke between them and around 4:30 am, Lance was gone and Luther was back on the road. He could hear Lance, "Do you know what the problem with this city is? Family isn't here."

March 14, 2021 02:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Wren Murphy
15:26 Mar 21, 2021

Awww poor Luther. I'm so glad he got to see Lance at the end.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.