One To Be Forgotten.....

Written in response to: Center your story around an unexpected summer fling.... view prompt

4 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction Romance

Author's note: Some parts may seem like errors, but I wrote it that way on purpose. This is a part 2, read "The Mask" before this one if you haven't already.

Genevieve Winters stood in the foyer. It was Saturday afternoon, during the summer, and she was planning a dinner party the following Wednesday. How would she pull it off? With the invitations, food, and overall planning, it would be tight. Usually, invitations were sent out weeks in advance, but she didn’t have weeks, she only had three and half days. 

If only Penelope Hargrove hadn’t decided against having a dinner party. No, she wouldn’t blame it on Penelope, Genevieve would blame it on her mother. Her mother had ‘graciously’ offered to hold the dinner party in her stead. She didn’t actually intend to host a dinner party, rather put it on her unsuspecting daughter. Now, Genevieve was planning a dinner party all alone. 

Her mother had come to her, asking her to hold the event. Insisting it would help Genevieve find a suitor. At this moment, it was only helping her find stress. 

Why had Genevieve’s mother offered to host the event when she knew fully that she wasn’t intending to host it? It truly was a setup. 

Genevieve needed to stop thinking about this. If she didn’t, she wouldn’t be able to plan the dinner party. 

First, she would have to figure out who to invite. It would be relatively small, but she could invite up to 35 guests. It didn’t seem small, but most events had more that 200 people in one room. 

Penelope would get an invitation; it only made sense. There was also George, her cousin. 

Vienna would definitely come. Just then, someone interrupted her thoughts. 

“Sister!” Christina called. 

“Christina, what is it?” Genevieve asked. 

“You have to make this dinner party a huge success,” Christy paused. “When will you get an opportunity like this again? Besides, if you don’t, people will remember you as having the worst event of the year.” 

“Christina, that’s easy for you to say. I’m planning a dinner party in three days. I can’t make it spectacular.” 

“Oh, sister, you have to figure it out somehow.” With that, Genevieve’s sister walked out of the room. 

It seemed everyone was leaving to do things on her own. Why didn’t they host the dinner party if they thought it was such a great idea? Of course, they would never do that. 

Wait! Genevieve just had an excellent idea. What if she invited the Rogue Mask? If she did, he would have no choice but to reveal his identity. That would certainly make her dinner party a success. 

How would she get the invitation to him? This was becoming a huge pain, and it was beginning to hurt Genevieve’s brain. She should just see what happened when she sent him an invitation. 

In the two months, the Mask Rogue had stopped two robberies, five runaway animals from escaping, and saved more than 20 people in that time frame. 

Genevieve hadn’t seen the man she had met on that first day. It was as if he had disappeared. 

Something about him stuck in her heart. It was a strong pull. She wanted to know him, to figure him out. It was odd, as she never felt this way about anyone before. 

It must be the mystery of him, Genevieve thought. No one knew who he was. Everyone wanted to know more about him. If she actually believed that, why was she still thinking about him? 

***  

“Oh, Genevieve! This is quite a spectacular event. How did you ever pull it off?” Penelope asked. 

Of course, Penelope would ask that question. It was just like her. It was as if she planned this ordeal. To cancel her own event late, that way someone else would have the ‘worst’ event of the year. 

“It was hard to be sure, but I managed well enough. I appreciate you noticing.” Genevieve said. 

She knew it sounded snooty, but she didn’t care. She walked away from where Penelope had been standing. 

The Masked Rogue had not come to her dinner party, though. She did not know whether it was because he did not receive her invitation or because he had no desire to attend. 

Genevieve was able to make her dinner party great, but it would have been better with him in attendance. 

She would have a conversation starter; other than how her dinner party could have been the worst event of the year. 

That was when she heard a knock at the back door. Most people did not know about the back door or wouldn’t dare to use it.  

Should I check it? She thought. 

She walked towards the back door. 

“Hello.” Genevieve called while the breeze hit her face. 

She didn’t see anyone until she glanced around the back porch. 

“Oh, it’s you.” 


“Yes, it is.” He said in a slow, calm voice. 

She stared at him- The Masked Rogue- with surprise on her face. 

He was standing in front of her, leaning on a porch rail. 

“W-what are you doing here?” 

“Did you not ask me to come?” 

“I did, though I did not think you would come or that you even received my invitation.” 

“I wasn’t sure if I should come. I’m glad I did,” he said, his steady gaze focused on her eyes. 

She truly could not understand this man. The way he acted that first time and now. It was all too confusing. 

The words came so easily, “I’m glad too.” 

“You’re quite a woman. I’ve never met someone so well-rounded.” 

The statement caused Genevieve to stay still for a moment.   

“A compliment, as such, has never been bestowed upon me.” 

“It should have been.” 

A thought came to Genevieve. “Who are you?” 

“I’m a man who has lived much in few years. Someone who’s alone. No one needs me. Therefore, I feel the same way,” 

She could see the pain in his eyes. 

“I’m someone who-” 

He was interrupted by the back door opening. 

“Genevieve!” her mother called. 

“Mother, I’m here.” 

“I’ve been looking for you. What are you doing here?” 

“I went outside to get fresh air. I’ll be inside one second.” 


“Okay.” Her mother said as she walked inside, closing the door behind her. 

“What were you saying?” Genevieve asked. 

“I was saying I’m one who is easily forgotten. You yourself could not bring yourself to mention me.” 

“No, I-” 

“Words spoken mean nothing. Throw them in the air, as if they don’t matter. The most dangerous weapon of all.” He spoke. 

“I never meant to-” He cut her off again. 

“They can slice like a knife. You will never understand. That is what I know about you. People never can. I'm someone who doesn’t want anyone to try to. I am and have my past. Something I’ll never escape.” 

The Mask Rogue made a swift exit. Taking Genevieve’s heart with him. 

Why was everything so complicated? 






August 09, 2024 01:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Irene Duchess
20:23 Aug 09, 2024

Looking forward to another part!

Reply

20:34 Aug 09, 2024

Thank you. I hope to write another part soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:04 Aug 09, 2024

A Rogue indeed taking her 💜. Thanks for liking 'Summer Vacation Paradise'.

Reply

20:33 Aug 09, 2024

🪷He definitely is.🪷

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.