15 comments

Horror Urban Fantasy Crime

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

Shivering despite the unseasonably warm evening, Ambrose slumped on a splintery park bench in Golden Gate Park, face buried in his hands. The empty vaults of his stomach echoed with frustrated need, sapping him of the energy to pull himself fully upright.

Through the fine fault-lines separating his fingers, he glimpsed the chilly, unsympathetic light of the full moon. The fog hadn’t moved in from the bay yet to cloak her pallid nudity. Back when he was mortal, he’d never fully appreciated the frigid timbre of her light; her barren, arid dust drained all warmth from her share of the solar wind before reflecting the stripped remnants into space. Although that bleak, infertile quality rendered her light safe to one such as him, it still reminded him of the ghost-white cave-spiders he’d seen on a late-night documentary. The only kind of documentaries he could watch these days. Bitterly, Ambrose snickered: he should be kinder in his judgment since she and he were now kindred parasites.

Or at least they should have been…

#

Seated on a padded stool as he inhaled the familiar, toasty incense of barrel-oak that suffused the wine-cave, Ambrose gazed through his eyelashes at the cadaverously lean, pale man across the table. Who was this rare soul, to have enough sway with the head winemaker to be graced with a private tasting of the rarest library wines long after normal closing-time? He hadn’t provided a name, so Ambrose could only speculate. Although he almost certainly had paid a hefty premium for the experience, the other man took only tiny sips, spending far more time inhaling the bouquet of the various wines poured than imbibing. In Ambrose’s experience, it was usually the reverse. Particularly when it came to high-rollers, who counterintuitively lived in eternal hope of a substantial bulk discount.

Reminded of the lateness of the hour, Ambrose clamped his jaws shut around a yawn. He hoped this anonymous personage would buy enough booze at the end of the night to make the cut the assistant winemaker was paying him in lieu of overtime worthwhile. Although he’d thought he’d succeeded in silently stifling the yawn, the man’s impossibly iridescent blue eyes darted towards Ambrose like a panther scenting weakness. That sleepy, almost-predatory look jarred him for a moment before he concluded that it was just a trick of the low-level mood lighting, which hadn’t been designed for use at such odd hours.

Voice tinged with a faint accent Ambrose couldn’t place, the man asked, “And this particular red, what does it smell of to you? I would learn the thoughts of an expert.”

European, Ambrose decided. He must be European, with that sort of stilted diction. Perhaps former minor nobility. Yet he didn’t sport the usual sleek Italian designer-brand labels. Instead, his clothes were cut loosely and almost clumsily, with far too many buttons. Nor did the man reek of ubiquitous pricey cologne. Although most connoisseurs considered it bad form to wear heavy fragrances at a wine-tasting, that had never stopped any of the celebrities that Ambrose had met in his time working at the winery. But the man didn’t smell of pungent sweat either. In fact, he was almost an unnatural void of scent.

Trying not to betray amusement at the pretentiousness of the man’s obvious costume contact lenses, Ambrose looked down, staring instead at the splash of the winery’s most highly-scored vintage pooling in his hand-blown wineglass. After a vigorous yet calculated swirl, he breathed in its divine aroma. “While our promotional materials profile this particular full-bodied wine as featuring cassis and cherry fruit leather elements enriched with notes of pepper and warm spice, I also personally discern a hint of black licorice straws, which is unusual for a Cabernet.”

“What a spectacular deep crimson hue it has. Tell me, how would you describe it? Reminiscent of blood, perhaps?”

Having just taken a second sip, Ambrose nearly choked. “Good God, no!” he sputtered too forcefully for his carefully-cultivated, suave professional persona after a few moments of coughing. After a few heartbeats, he let out a weak chuckle. “My apologies, sir. It would be disastrous for my career if I allowed myself to associate the color of wine with blood. I’m afraid I faint at the sight of blood. As you can imagine, that would end my employment here quite rapidly.”

The man threw his head back and guffawed, his teeth gleaming in the dim subterranean light as oddly as his eyes. Laser tooth-whitening gone too far, Ambrose decided. His spine crawled as that laugh vibrated repulsively in a pitch that inexplicably reminded him of the moldy basement funk of a corked bottle of wine. “What an… amusing… malady.”

Inhaling sharply in offense, Ambrose decided that, even for a VIP, the man had overstepped himself. He opened his mouth to protest, but found himself silenced as those fascinating eyes scintillated with an irresistibly lustrous sheen. They pulsed with the unnatural blue of the treacherous ice rotting at the foundations of a glacier. The flickering world that lived in his peripheral vision froze in place as azure orbs filled his vision. Ambrose forgot what he’d meant to say. Surely he’d never meant to criticize such a god…

A oenophile with an exquisitely educated palate who faints at the sight of blood. What a rare jest,” the elegant creature across the table murmured in a taunting voice that scraped like broken glass against Ambrose’s eardrums. “No, I simply cannot resist. Damn the rules. Ambrose, I have a far more unusual vintage for you to partake of… If you can.”

“Of course,” Ambrose found himself muttering without consciously willing the words. “Anything you say, sir.” His head felt fuzzy, as if he’d had several glasses of wine rather than two subdued sips. Something nagged at him. But surely this fine gentleman knew best…

With another of those musty chuckles, his commander instructed, “Excellent. Follow me, Ambrose.”

And, without any thought of turning off the lights or locking the winery door or closing out the register or completing any of the usual closing preliminaries, Ambrose rose to his feet and did just that.

#

Instinctively, Ambrose sucked in a breath and lost the vivid memory as someone strolled past him, spewing fleshly fragrance into the nearby air like an evening primrose. His stomach redoubled its shrieking. Middle-aged and sweat-soaked with nervous aggression, the passerby exuded a distinct sauerkraut-like note to Ambrose’s trained nose. It was the olfactory signature of a heavy drinker of hard spirits at minimum, one likely addicted to heavier, more malign drugs. While it was far from his favorite flavor-profile, Ambrose would still have happily drained that particular goblet whole, if only…

If only…

Earlier in the evening, the park had tortuously reminded him of a tasting-flight, populated by after-dinner strollers, courting couples, and insomniacs. As any consumer of jamon iberico or Wagyu beef knew, diet, breed, and age affected flavor. Like the fine wine that had led to Ambrose’s downfall, each individual gave off a uniquely nuanced essential attar. Now, however, only the truly desperate or malevolent prowled the deserted park. The wholesome, manicured flower-beds had degenerated into a labyrinth of tangled weeds and thistles. Yet Ambrose himself had also grown desperate. It’s not fair, he murmured to himself. This whole situation is just completely unfair. I never did anything so terrible in life to deserve this postmortem hell. All right, there were those couple of times I tampered with the tip-jar, but still…

A brief pause hitched the human cocktail’s motion as it glimpsed Ambrose and homed in on his vulnerable sprawl and sunken frame. The breeze wafted upwards a sudden intensification in that majestic perfume. Hard-won recent experience told Ambrose that the pressure of the blood flowing swiftly through the interloper’s veins had increased with excitement, betraying its malicious intent.

It wasn’t guilt that held Ambrose back. After nearly two weeks of deprivation, he was far too thirsty for guilt to sway him any more, particularly when combined with the added justification of self-defense. Instead, the futility of the entire endeavor drained away his will. Like any jungle predator, he begrudged wasting energy in a chase that inevitably ended in failure. Always, always, he fainted after he’d penetrated the thin, outer flagon-like layers of his victim’s skin, uncorking that intoxicating sweet-copper aroma, and glimpsed the first trembling drop of blood. Maybe you should try hunting blindfolded, he taunted himself. Like pummeling a piñata.

Another shudder, equal parts thirst and frustration, convulsed Ambrose. With vast effort, he sat up. In one last moment of hesitation, ignoring the circling would-be mugger, he stared at his hands: slim, uncalloused fingers tipped with new and unnaturally sharp fingernails that glimmered with pearly luster in the moonlight. No, I have no choice. I won’t let myself starve. There are far too many glorious aromas left in this world to savor yet. All that is required for survival is one simple, though somewhat painful sacrifice. Scientists claim that scent is the strongest, most primal sense gifted to humans, anyway. What’s a few centuries wearing designer sunglasses?

And, by happy accident, the arrogant old vampire with the spiteful sense of humor who’d inflicted this nightmare on Ambrose had left his tab open when he’d led Ambrose out into the hungry night. Even if it was an alias, Ambrose had memorized a name and address now, and he had fully committed himself to collecting the last laugh. Personally. By any means necessary. Bracing himself, he drove his talons with resolute force towards his traitorous eyes…

August 09, 2022 18:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Aesha Amin
08:11 Aug 16, 2022

The way this story progressed and revealed the plot little by little will always be something I’ll admire and be in awe of. It took me a while, maybe 2/3 of the story, to realise the main character was a vampire. I usually don’t like vampires because of how poorly they’re written or how they’re overused, but I absolutely loved this! Your writing is just so magical. These aren’t the only lines that stood out to me but they’re something I could never think of (which makes me so jealous of you hehe): Ambrose clamped his jaws shut around a yawn...

Reply

L.M. Lydon
14:46 Aug 16, 2022

Thank you for your kind words. I agree: vampires are OVERDONE. I was reluctant to write this initially for exactly that reason. And it's always about guilt with new vampires. I thought it would be fun to explore from a different sense (not taste) and angle. I'm a wine geek so the analogy may or may not have suggested itself to me after a glass or two of red wine ;)

Reply

Aesha Amin
15:13 Aug 16, 2022

I know nothing about wine except that I love them. No other drink gets me quite as giggly. It really was a good analogy and the way you executed it made it even better!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Brynn Helena
02:27 Aug 14, 2022

wow you write with such rich, lush details and descriptions. they paint such vivid images for the reader!! very, very well done :)

Reply

L.M. Lydon
14:50 Aug 14, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. Ciriano
21:30 Aug 13, 2022

Your descriptions and details are so rich and illustrative. Great story!

Reply

L.M. Lydon
22:10 Aug 13, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
14:25 Aug 11, 2022

Certainly an original characteristic for a vampire--repulsed by blood. Very clever! You have such a huge vocabulary and packed a punch with each and every description. My favorites in particular were the lines relating to smell. I am very sensitive to smells, which has its pros and cons, but scents are definitely hard to describe! This line was so evocative, and literally made my nose shrink up: "His stomach redoubled its shrieking. Middle-aged and sweat-soaked with nervous aggression, the passerby exuded a distinct sauerkraut-like note to ...

Reply

L.M. Lydon
18:13 Aug 11, 2022

Thank you for reading and for your kind words. Smells are definitely tough to describe! I enjoyed getting a chance to play with a different set of senses in this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
02:16 Aug 10, 2022

Three of my favorite genre tags side by side, AND a French title? It's a good day to be alive (no pun intended...okay, pun slightly intended). Speaking from a technical standpoint, this is quite well-written. Strong diction throughout, evocative imagery, interesting characters. Really like the intersection between the expert sommelier and the vampire who hates blood. The wine motif was a nice way to marry those two aspects of Ambrose. Really like the focus on his internal struggle too. You chose an interesting protagonist, and I think it wo...

Reply

L.M. Lydon
02:27 Aug 10, 2022

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm a bit of a wine nut, so this was a story I truly enjoyed writing :) I admit I'm a rampant abuser of adjectives/adverbs. I appreciate your very on point comments and will make a bit more effort to rein them in. Thank you for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
01:44 Aug 10, 2022

This is great, very creative! First off, that title is fantastic. Eye catching, amusing, and relevant. Then, you capture some of the hell that is being undead. The struggle between not wanting to be a monster, but having to be one, to survive. But the icing on the cake, of course, is the vampire that can't stand the sight of blood. That really was a cruel joke :) And such a creative solution, too. Desperate times call for desperate measures. It seems like the birth of the real monster, where he finally accepts his fate, and maybe the fu...

Reply

L.M. Lydon
19:28 Aug 10, 2022

Thank you so much for reading and for your kind words. I wanted to try writing a vampire story that hadn't been done to (un)death. The idea of inadvertently unleashing a vampire epicure on the world via sick practical joke seemed like fun :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laura Eliz
18:47 Aug 31, 2022

You use words exquisitely.

Reply

L.M. Lydon
17:47 Sep 01, 2022

Thank you so much for the kind words! That story is a bit more polished than most of mine, I'm afraid.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.