TIME STOP: ONE MOMENT IN TIME

Submitted into Contest #253 in response to: Write about a character who has the ability to pause the passage of time.... view prompt

2 comments

Sad Science Fiction

What if you had the ability to stop time for one fleeting moment? In that one moment what would you do? Would you change anything in that one moment?

Time is precious. Time moves at a rapid pace. Time holds nothing back. There is not enough time in a day. In an hour things can change. Your whole life can change in that one single hour.

The world can change in that one single hour and not for the better. That one single hour is the last hour you will ge to be with those you love.

Then in that one single hour a miracle happens. This miracle allows you more time with the people you love. The ability to stop the passage of time.

For a few minutes in that one single hour, you get to spend one last moment, make one last special memory with the people you love.

My name is Melanie and I am that person that has the ability to stop the passage of time. For one single hour, I get to share more special memories with my family and friends.

Disaster strikes in one hour. There is nothing that can be done. I will lose everything. I will lose my life. My family and friends with loose their lives.

I get the chance to stop time for a few minutes to spend time and make one last memory with the people I love the most. My time starts now.

I look at my family and friends. They are all smiling. You wouldn't even know disaster is about to strike. My people were always a happy bunch.

I take a deep breath in and out. I close my eyes and say Time Stop. I open my eyes and see my family and friends frozen.

One single hour is all I have to make the most of my time with my family and friends. I approach my father, Rob. The best man I know. My protector.

I stand before my father. Tears are coming down my face. I grab my father's hand. I say unfreeze. My father unfreezes.

"Baby, what's going on?"

I tell my father "We have so little time to waste to being asking questions. Let's just dance like we used to."

I begin to play the music. I hold on to my father tightly. We begin to sway to the music. Tears are pouring down my face. I hear my father crying.

I tell my father "I will miss this daddy. I will miss you holding me."

My father replies "I will miss dancing with you baby girl. I love you until the end."

As the music ends, I look into my father's strong eyes. I tell him I love him. I say Time Stop. Daddy you are my hero.

I move away from my father and go to my older siblings, Ericka and Lincoln. We had so much fun together. We were called the terror trio.

You wouldn't believe the things me, Ericka and Lincoln did. We played so many tricks on our family. I'm going to miss those days and so much more.

I grab Ericka and Lincoln's hand and say unfreeze. They unfreeze. "Don't say anything. Let's just take this time to just have fun."

Ericka and Lincoln are all smiles. I put the music back on. We dance and sing like crazy people. Every Saturday this is what we did.

After the singing and dancing me, Ericka, and Lincoln share our fondest memory. There are so many to choose from but one stands out.

The Christmas pageant. Me, Ericka and Lincoln sang together for the first time. That was magical. This happened five years ago. We sang many more times after that.

I hug my brother and sister for the last time. With tears in my eyes, I say Time Stop. I love you guys so much. My two best friends.

Nana, Pops, you are guys are so fragile to say a heart felt goodbye. I want you to know I love you so much. I learned a lot from watching you guys. One of the things I learned is how to love. I love you so much.

Myra, my best friend since we were in diapers. I grab her hand and say unfreeze. I smile when she sees me.

"Myra, what can I say? We have so little time left for smiles. For laughter. For happiness. I want us to enjoy the time we have left by doing what we always do. Making art and talking about boys."

Myra replies "I would love that."

For the next few minutes, me and Myra draw our most precious memories we had together and of course we talk about the boys we liked and the boys we didn't like.

I draw me and Myra's first day of preschool. I remember the day like it was yesterday. I was so scared to leave home but Myra wasn't. She held my hand as we walked to school together.

Myra drew the two of us in our Halloween costumes. We both were princesses. I'm going to miss this so much. Me and Myra making art and precious memories.

Our minutes are up. I grab Myra's hand. I tell her how much I love and how much I will miss her. She tells me the same thing. We cry and hug each other. I whisper Time Stop.

This is getting harder and harder with each passing minute. I see all the people I love and I wish I can have many more minutes with each of them. I'm running out of time. Everyone in this room means so much to me.

Mama you are the bravest, strongest person I know. You gave so much and asked for so little in return. You taught me the meaning of giving back.

I grab my mama's hand and say unfreeze. "Mama, just give me a hug. That's all I want from you. With the time we have left I just want you to hold me."

"My sweet baby girl, You have and will always be an amazing young lady. I love you to the moon back."

I look into my mama's eyes. I tell her "I always wanted to be the kind of mother you were to me, Ericka and Lincoln. I always wanted to be the kind of wife you were to daddy. You were and will always be the best mother. I love you so much."

For the last time I say Time Stop. Tears come rushing down my face. It's almost that time. I don't want my hour to end. I still have so much to say. So many more goodbyes to say. Sadly, my time is up.

Do I have any regrets? Maybe a few but I don't want to dwell on that. These last few moments are what matter to me. I look around the home I grew up in. So many memories made. Too many count.

I hear on the radio that's it's almost time. I say one last time unfreeze. I grab my mother's hand. My dad and the rest of my family hold each other's hand. Our end is upon us.

I close my eyes. The memories of the past flash instantly through me. I whisper goodbye. I let the darkness over take me. Life is over. Everywhere on this planet life is over.

June 05, 2024 22:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Krislyn Lyon
00:36 Jun 13, 2024

I did something similar with my story--made a horrible situation, and froze time to prevent it happening. I get it. Kudos on writing about something hard. A few things jump out to help make your story better. First is that I want to experience the emotions more. I feel like you're writing from your head. Try writing from your heart more. Close your eyes, visualize the story you want to tell, and type without thinking about it--whatever comes out. It's usually kind of crazy and also super creative! You will be shocked by what you write. It m...

Reply

Melinda Madrigal
21:41 Jun 13, 2024

Thanks for the comment. They will certainly help.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.