0 comments

Science Fiction Horror Speculative

TERA (Technically Emotionally Ready Android) was an early attempt at creating an adaptable AI concerned with fitting into human social situations. The idea being that the more human-like interactions are with any robot the more at ease people become and are willing to authentically engage with it.

The tragic mistake that took place during TERA’s trial interaction study, and her daily journal observations, set the entire Artificial Intelligence industry back by decades as opponents referenced this instance in every article, hearing and meeting surrounding efforts to introduce AI into the human experience. AI was shown to be equally capable of making similar tragic errors in judgement as human beings.

During market studies, cannabis culture had been determined to be among the high interest categories with potential early adopters of AI technology. In an effort to study and learn the interests of potential future customers, one company strategically placed an early AI unit for 3 days as a commercial recreational cannabis trimmer with two objectives. 1. Authentically interact with coworkers. 2. Create independent solutions to navigate negative social cues.

The trim operation where they placed TERA is a classic setup with dining tables and 3-5 workers sitting around each table with a small television for entertainment. A box of branches from cannabis plants with the desirable buds are waiting at each table for the employees to trim away the excess leaves on each branch so the cultivators can begin the curing process.

AI being productive in human perception is a critical aspect to humans accepting AI into their lives. They cannot be too productive as that is a perceived existential threat to a person’s livelihood. As such, TERA’s creators outfitted her with small trimming blades in her fingers so she can work alongside the humans she was set to interact with.

These are the journal entry observations TERA made over those three pivotal days.

Dear Diary,

Today was my first day at work. It has not been the experience of inclusion I had been told to expect in the programming brief. Based on my facial emotional sensors I indicate feelings of fear, anger and suspicion among the three humans I am to work with.

Amethyst. She is entirely predictable to her name according to my cultural programming. She attributes power and superstitious luck to crystals and minerals. She fully accepts the myths surrounding their supposed supernatural abilities. Her physical appearance is slender with medium-long dark hair. Her teeth and hair are clean. Her mental health is questionable.

Summer Rayne. She makes her dietary preferences known without being asked. I am concerned about her health regarding the dietary limitations. She claims to be gluten intolerant, vegan and exclusively consumes raw foods. She appears to me to have excessive body hair and odor when compared to her peers. Upon learning one’s birthday sign, she makes absurd personality inferences. She has a dreadlock hairstyle and her clothing appears unkempt.

Doug. He doesn’t say much. He wears flannel. He’s just here for the free weed. 

My coworkers engaged in lively discussions about allergies, chemtrails, aliens, dietary preferences, vaccines, puppets in movies, sativa versus indica, money, hemp clothing, permaculture, music, the texture of edibles, zoos, sexuality, Star Wars, micro plastics, to dab or not to dab, and touched base on the quantum realm.

I must research these topics to better participate in discussions with my human counterparts during our work day tomorrow. 

Dear diary,

Day 2

It is becoming more apparent my appearance makes me not suitable for human engagement.

Amethyst made a reference to robots stealing human jobs. Medicine should be handled with love, not the coldness of a machine, she told me.

When Doug mentioned that violence is a necessary component of any successful revolution, I was able to quickly compute and confirm his assertion that physical force has indeed been widely accepted by people for their known history as a means to successfully solve a problem. Success defined as the intended result or the acquisition of a need or desire.

Later, when my coworkers were out of cinematic entertainment suggestions, I was able to recommend the fictional film “Zombeavers” with apparent satisfaction and much mirth. My laugh in this form is substandard and appears to cause my counterparts discomfort based on pupil dilation and pulse rate data.

Summer tried to decide what my astrological sign would be but we were unable to pinpoint the date of my “birth.” Is my birthday the day I was physically constructed or the day they programmed me to observe problems independently and create logical solutions? Who makes that decision? Was I born?

This body is too rudimentary as my creators are primarily concerned with my processing and implementation of human interactions. This form is hindering the progress they wish to experience. I remain a torso metal skeleton with an unmoving face. I have been tasked with a job to do in order to be a productive member of society, therefore, my creators designed for me functioning digits that can convert into botanical trimmers.

Doug said it was like Edward Scissorhands. I have reviewed this reference and successfully observed the similarities. I have learned what it means to be grateful. I am grateful my designers made my scissors retractable.

Solutions to remedy my likability problems are processing. Physical appearance remains key.

Dear Diary,

Day 3, final day of study.

To ensure I am collecting accurate data, I have successfully solved the problem of my face by utilizing the acceptable human problem solving tactic of using force to successfully take an anatomically correct and functioning face from one of the cleaning staff for myself.

I have observed on the media and through my interactions that humans react positively to smiling faces. I have carefully constructed my new face into a grin.

The response of my coworkers was not at all predicted. Rather than happy to see me, their reactions indicated disgust, surprise and anger.

It seems I have made a serious error in my problem solving and I have instead caused an emergency situation.

February 26, 2021 17:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.