1 comment

Coming of Age Contemporary Creative Nonfiction

2000 years in the future, there is a tree shortage. Science has not advanced fast enough or far enough (despite the efforts of scientists and government officials) to create a paper alternative. 2000 years into the future, there is no toilet paper.


Historians sometimes define this historic break as "pre TP" or "After Tp". In a pre Tp world, people lived in ignorant bliss of the shadow side of toilet paper. They knew not of tree extinction or the blood that was lost and shed in order to get them their precious rolls. After Tp, butts were dry and bare. No soft padded roll could be found to cushion the bare butts.


There were several fast contenders in what became a deeply political race for dominance over what would replace toilet paper. Bidets as an industry grew quickly. Because it was too unfair for one industry too have too much money and power however, the government intervened (now France after France assumed power over 90 percent of the world's nations. )


The government set up a contest to find 3 alternatives to toilet paper. Three industries put their bid in for what could be the biggest toilet paper alternative. developed an air blasting system that used water and air. HP printers developed a rope that could be used as a sponge.


But more importantly, for 1000 years people did not even notice the lack of toilet paper. For 1000 years people simply mourned the sheer lack of shade. For 1000 years people simply mourned the sheer loss of beauty. No more trees with their beautiful green leaves, descending like petals of glory onto our soft faces. No more strong friends, with arms wide open, that we never felt brave enough to hug, for fear someone would call us a "silly hippie" or think we had lost our minds.

For those who allowed themselves to give a tree a hug, they remembered the green folds embracing them. For those that slept under a tree's healthy mantle, they remembered the safety and shade of a friend.

Tears were shed for the loss of trees and for 1000 years people simply made do with what was around. Old printer paper, reused towels which were later burned.


The people's grief eclipsed their desire for toilet paper.

But finally after 1000 years, scientists began to build steel structures which towered over people. These false friends came to proliferate the planet. Their ugliness was unmatched. They became hot in summer or high sun,

that children fried eggs on them and people put up warning signs.



The people's grief eclipsed their desire for toilet paper.

But finally after 1000 years, scientists began to build steel structures which towered over people. These false friends came to proliferate the planet. Their ugliness was unmatched. They became hot in summer or high sun,

that children fried eggs on them and people put up warning signs.The people's grief eclipsed their desire for toilet paper.

But finally after 1000 years, scientists began to build steel structures which towered over people. These false friends came to proliferate the planet. Their ugliness was unmatched. They became hot in summer or high sun,

that children fried eggs on them and people put up warning signs.

The people's grief eclipsed their desire for toilet paper.

But finally after 1000 years, scientists began to build steel structures which towered over people. These false friends came to proliferate the planet. Their ugliness was unmatched. They became hot in summer or high sun,

that children fried eggs on them and people put up warning signs.


John and Shelley Shanders moved their children and their Salmon pink RV to a wind turbine reserve 100 years before the new invention. John had heard there was work on the wind reserve. The tall metal trees towered with an inescapable presence. The heat bore down on the other 100's of families who were parked at the wind reserve.


Some cars were sky blue, others were mint green. They all came to see if there was electrician work or installation work available. In the new era they were known as French travelers. They were families who were displaced by economic disparities in French cities and had become mobile in order to reduce rent and travel about looking for work on wind reserves.


John was a wiry framed academic who picked up the electrician trade by accident in his last year of graduate school. Shelley was pregnant and they were strapped for cash. In need of work quickly, John answered an ad that was posted on a cork bulletin board inside the campus cafeteria.


Shelley had soft brown curly hair that fell onto her shoulders in romantic loops. Her eyes were green and prying. She was a lab assistant for John's last class at the college-Gold University. In the new era naming something Gold was a way of adding extra value to something. People began to use the world gold in any kind of name. Grocery stores were called "Gold's Supplies", and other not quite fitting descriptions of the word Gold were used.


She had an upturned button nose, and it made her look a bit spritly. John was the same-a wiry, spritely man with black wire rimmed glasses and a bit of stubble on his long chin.


Their romance was quiet and uneventful, but precious to them. The baby was unexpected, but wanted. Shelley wore linen dresses to cover her pregnancy and fuzzy purple sweaters with flowers embroidered on the collars. She wore this outfit until she could no longer fool the college board and they expelled her.

In the new era there was no leniency for pregnancy in schools. This differed from past eras where adults in school were allowed to be pregnant. In the new era there was no sympathy for unplanned pregnancies in schools.




March 24, 2024 23:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Carolyn O'B
18:12 Mar 30, 2024

Under 1000 words, repeated paragraph, 2 separate stories

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.