0 comments

Crime Fiction

The Nerd

He was a nerd. There was no doubt of it. He looked like a nerd; he dressed like a nerd; he walked like a nerd. He even reinforced the image by spending much of his free time at the local library. He wore the same clothes day after day; at least it looked like it, but one got close to him, he smelled clean. He simply had several outfits of the same style and color scheme and changed every morning after his shower. 

He was a creature of habit following the same routine day after day. He had a good job and although he was well liked he had few if any close friends. At least he never spoke of any and was never seen with anyone else. He showed no interest in women. Some thought he was gay, yet he gave no evidence of being so. His conversations were mostly short and consisted of small talk although those who introduced more meaningful subjects so found that they were no match for his intellect. Whatever subject, be it ecology, outer space, or philosophy he could make one feel like an idiot just seconds into the conversation although It was never his intention to do so.

It being Saturday evening he walked to the Pizza Palace and placed his usual order. The waitress was an attractive young lady named “Judy,” who cheerfully asked, “What would you like tonight sir.” It was obvious he enjoyed her attention although he expressed no interest beyond returning a sheepish grin. “One medium, meat lover’s pizza, to go, please.” Then almost apologetically he added, “I called it in.” She left the counter and returned a moment later with a warm pizza box; handed it over and took his money. The smile returned with a cheerful, “Have a good evening, James.” Noticing her name tag he replied, “You too, Judy.” 

He left the store and started walking quickly toward home, wanting to get there while the Pizza was still warm. Without warning two squad cars from different directions screeched to the curb beside him. The police quickly exited; guns drawn toward him and shouting, “On the ground now!” James, being completely bewildered by the surreal situation, stood still looking open mouthed at one officer then the other. The first officer reached out; grabbed him by the arm and flung him to the pavement. The Pizza flew out of his hands into the busy street. His glasses fell off and were accidently stepped on by the other officer. The lens crackled under his feet and James knew they were ruined. They roughly drew his arms behind his back and clasped his hands into restraints. They were so tight that James cried out in pain and begged them to give him some slack but his cry was ignored.  “What’s this all about, Officers? I haven’t done anything wrong.” A moment later he was being read his rights and stuffed into the back of a squad car. 

“Rape? I never raped anyone. This is ridiculous. All I did was walk to the Pizza Palace and picked up a pizza I ordered. I was just on my way home when the police jumped me.” The questions came in an endless stream. So fast that James could hardly answer one until another was fired at him. “Where were you at 8:15 tonight?” “In the Pizza Palace getting my Pizza.” “Can you prove that?” “Of course. I have the receipt which has the time on it and a worker named ‘Judy’ can verify it.” They shoved a picture in front of him. “Have you ever seen this girl before tonight?” “I’ve never seen her before in my life.”

Perhaps it would have made a difference if he had his glasses. He was placed in a line-up and the victim pointed and exclaimed, “That’s him! The fourth one.” “We have a positive I.D. James.” “How can that be when I didn’t do it?” He languished in jail for several days. They must have searched his apartment for a guard brought him his spare glasses. His name and picture, with glasses, appeared in the next edition of the local newspaper. He hired a lawyer who told him “James, if you’re telling me the truth, and I believe you, they don’t have a case against you. I’ll do my best to get you out of this mess.” Days passed, then his lawyer showed up again. “James, you’re a free man. They caught the real rapist a few hours ago. Also, the victim, when she saw your picture with the glasses on admitted she was mistaken when she I.D.’d you.” 

James went home to a cluttered apartment which had been searched thoroughly and left in a mess. “At least now I can get my life back to normal,” or so he thought.  

The media reported extensively on the case citing the real culprit and absolving James of the crime, things changed for him in a way he could not have imagined. He noticed it first when other residents of his apartment complex began limiting contact with him. Before, they greeted him cheerfully when he made an appearance and at times would stop for a little chat and small talk. Now they found ways to ignore him. He would see a couple talking; make a quick glance in his direction and continue their conversation in whispered tones. At the Pizza Palace, Judy no longer waited on him. it was always a man now who made no effort to be friendly. He would take the money and hand over the Pizza without a spoken word. Judy stayed in the background never looking up when he came in. He wanted to scream out, “I didn’t do anything!” but surmised that would only aggravate the situation. He soon began calling for pizza delivery. Even then, the delivery man did not make eye contact and never responded to James’ “Thank you.” 

Even at his place of employment things were different. He thought about quitting and moving elsewhere but that was a risk he wasn’t prepared to take. Then came the scariest moment of all. One day when depression had set in deeply he thought, “All this would end if I just wasn’t around anymore.” The thought temporarily shocked him back into reality. “Why am I even thinking about such a thing?” he would ask himself. But the thought would always return. That was until he went to work on a Monday after a depressing week-end. He signed in; went to his desk and sat there as if in a stupor. He looked at the schedule in front of him and asked himself, “Why am I even doing this?” Out of the corner of his eye he saw someone standing by his desk. He looked up and into the face of Fred Tillman. Fred had always been friendly to him but their conversations had been mostly small, quick chats; nothing of substance. “James, could we go for a cup of coffee?” It seemed strange that he would ask, but there was a sincerity in the suggestion that had a tone of genuine friendliness which James had not sensed in anyone since his arrest. “Yeh, sure, Fred.” 

“I needed to talk to you, James. I know you have been on a real downer since what happened and I see how everyone else is being such jerks about it. They don’t really say anything but it’s just the way they act. I don’t know why, and Heaven knows you don’t know either.” He paused for a moment; took a sip of coffee and continued. “I just want to let you know I’m not going to be a part of that. I can’t imagine what it must have been like to go through what you had to endure all because you did nothing wrong.” Another sip. “I just wanted to let you know you still have a friend.” James looked away and let the words sink in. When he looked back, not making eye contact. Fred noticed a tear forming in the corner of James’ eye.  

December 02, 2020 16:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.