0 comments

Creative Nonfiction Friendship Drama

"Ah this is it the new album of the Desirable Designers, a good album if I say for both of us" San says to Dune hoping to get a better reaction of his good for everything friend currently spacing out.

"Wha..What yes it's great fellow friend of mine" Dune rarely ever pays attention to much. But albums are popular these days.

"It's almost time for our hit single to hit the stage, riff the chords." As San continues on a grand slam of a conversation. Dune feels annoyed at his outgoing ways, the pride in his teeth, and the look of importance in his eyes. Sickening to Dune but then again this is the best kind of life going about his days with his best bud most days.

Feels as if days have gone by over and over as if it's monsoon season over here. This could change San's and Dune's lives really if they don't worry about it too much it feels pretty good to have gone this far. It's like luck has given good opportunities to these best buds. Time to trek forwards as we always do and then the snare had been set. Dune has grown tired over the years to afraid to accept the facts and now was the best time he would ever have.

As he started this gracious plan for his, he noticed that his guitar wasn't as shiny of course these days would soon be over and separate paths have been walked. Seems pretty good as San was driving the RV and Dune was "relaxing" in the back nothing could separate the band. As he was about to sabotage San's guitar his life and soul practically it wasn't there it was in fact with him in the front. San focusing on the road ahead may be the talk of the road but he often spends travel time alone, his favorite he tells Dune eons ago. As he gets back to his guitar something is off about it and it appears that San had his own plans and Dune wonders if this is all he had done.

But Dune would have been patient and waited for that particular answer in the night. The RV is packed but it's been modified to have sound-proof foams for practice and for bedrooms that both attach in back and are separate from one another. The perfect time to sneak around and Dune went to San's guitar to realize that his guitar was sabotaged as well. He would have to fix his as San would most likely infringe Dune to the damage done. Dune would fix San's guitar and leave his broken for the fateful day. But why? This was the burning question Dune wanted to find out.

The next day Dune started to chat with San, a rare occurrence that never happened until now. 

"Say San, any plans for later in case things changed, a love of a hobby long forgotten?" Dune says.

"Now that you say maybe I could work in modern math, boring to most but something interesting." San responds.

"So planning any sabotage lately?" Dune yells.

"What! Well that's a bit dumb isn't it if I leave and don't get paid, the same as you where would we go?"

"Yes it would be wouldn't it…." The words trail off and his eyes start to open again. Everything had to be a dream up to that point right? Dune checks everything it looks like nothing was messed around with. A personal fantasy to ease his stressed mind. Even so Dune sets up to sabotage his own guitar in the conscious world and once again tries to see what's going to happen onwards. It's only one day until the fateful day where everything changes in an instant.

San is well himself, Dune's pretty sure, jamming out to new beats. Both really loved to jam out, reminiscent of how they started out. Dune starts to feel a little bad about what he's about to but he's made his choice and any doubts would lead to a life of fear. Still it doesn't prepare him with that kind of thinking and what's done is done and nothing can change that, not even some freaky reality check dream. And today, well today is the day right before the big one, one where it'll either end a lifelong opportunity or not. 

"Hello me once again." Dune mutters quietly to himself while preparing for all this but he lets San do all the work. San doesn't know the curveball and would never expect this kind of drastic action from Dune, he never does this kind of stuff San was assuming. San does wonder why he isn't trying to jam out but then again we've been going for a while, probably trying to relax from the pressure. Dune was a napping sort of person any chance he got, part of the reason why he always has to wake up his best friend. Anyways the night is closing and tomorrow will be a good day in San's mind. 

Next morning both friends start preparing and packing for the big excursion. Nothing's going to stop them both friends thinking in their own ways.

"Getting pretty close to stage one huh San?" 

"Dune! You don't start these talks that often this is new, yeah I suppose so." This was something San didn't expect but was pleasantly surprised to hear Dune saying a few good words is something rarely said and always here and there. Then again the quiet ones are always fairly sneaky in words and in actions that led to certain events taking place. Here it arrives stage one, the magnus opum, the grand entrance of the two that created "the Desirable Designers" San and Dune the announcer mentions as it's thought by both.

As the intermediate introductions end, both start jamming out to one of the songs in the album, the title name. Both look excited to play and as they do…. It turns out that both friends' guitars don't work either by mistake or maybe Dune's dream wasn't lying to him and it turns out that this was the last road and it ends here.

"We seem to have some technical difficulties." Dune says and San follows with

"We'll have to fix them and bear with us fans." Says San after both walk to the side and take a look.

San takes a look at his guitar it appears his extra practice strained the strings on his guitar. 

"Whoops, I jammed out too much and didn't check my guitar before this. How about you?" San wonders.

Dune knows the truth of why his guitar doesn't work and at this moment he says something that'll change his way. Dune lies and says that must have been it too holding out a torn guitar string. He could've told the truth even lied about San sabotaging the guitar, framed him. He did something worse; he twisted his truth to fit the lies he was creating. After the concert and fixing their guitars both leave stage one and Dune says something else.

"San I think it's time for me to take a break for a little while, see the oceans, ponder the forests."

"Say no more Dune. I know you've had a stressful couple of weeks. I'll see you later and let me drop you off somewhere before you start walking." San responds, understanding.

San drops Dune off and he buys a car, drives off after saying goodbye for a little while. Well this was it for now as he went off into the sunset. Will San ever find out that Dune was responsible or will this be another secret among friends, they'll never know but we do.

October 05, 2020 20:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.