0 comments

Romance

Disclaimer: - This is the first Romance story/novel I've ever tried to write.


It was back to reality. Alarms going off. Working all day. Ready meals for dinner and Bed.


The sound of Alexa stroked Martins ear as the morning awakened. It was the beginning of the first day back to work after the summer break and just to make it clear, Martin is not a morning person! If money got handed to Alexa about hearing the word snooze, she would earn thousands just on morning alarms. After around 15 minutes of extra sleep, Martin told himself that it was time to get up. He got ready in half an hour and was on his way to work by 8:30am. Little did Martin know that 6.2 miles away, lived a girl who could change his life forever.


Martin was a very privileged boy growing up as he had a father who owned a hotel. Despite this, Martins father didn’t believe in him throughout his childhood, so Martin had to learn how to prove him wrong. Three years ago, Martin took over his father’s business, and became the new manager of Sunnyside Hotel in Miami, as his father had sadly passed away.


No day was the same with Martin. Everyday had to be different. As time slowly passed, Martin was getting bored from just sitting in his office, replying to emails and sorting business stuff out. Somehow, he got distracted and his mind wondered whether he would ever find love? Within minutes, he was creating a profile on Finder… He added photos of himself that made it look like he was a famous star. There was one photo that had him leaning on a Ferrari with a complete set of Gucci clothes on. ‘I’m rich and ready to find love’ was the first line of his bio. Yes. I’m rich and ready was the first line. Within a minute a match came through. Martin stared eagerly at the screen and staring back at him was the most beautiful women he had ever seen. Delilah Villanueva. 23 years old. From South Beach, Miami.


A few hours later, Martin received a message from Delilah. The message stated, “Hey! I was wondering whether you would like to meet up as we live fairly close to each other? How about this Friday?” As Martin finished reading Delilah’s message, he knew that all he needed to put was 2 simple words. ‘Of course!’

As the rest of the day went by, Lucas and Martin were getting ready to close the hotels activities as it was getting late, but by the time they had finished, the whole hotel was as quiet as a sleeping baby.


The next few days were very stressful for Martin with lots of work to get through and catch up on after his summer break.  One person that helped him get through them was his mum, Wendy. He loved his mum as much as he loved running a hotel and he would do anything to help or support her, however, this was until today… Martin had been dreading the day he would have to say goodbye to his mum forever, unfortunately, today was that day. For the last few months, his mother has had support from Martin and carers from the hospital. This all started after Wendy had an awful car accident 6 months ago. She fractured her left leg and after extensive tests, she was told that she would have to have her leg amputated or risk the infection that she had spreading further which she didn’t want. Martins phone rang the second he sat down in his office. One of the carers phoned him and explained that his mother had, had an unexpected seizure which caused her to sadly pass away. Martin sat there heartbroken with tears dripping down his face and splashing straight onto the floor, how could this happen?


After that traumatic day, Martin realised that today was the day he was meeting with Delilah. They planned earlier today that they would meet around 4:00pm in the main lounge of the hotel. A car pulled up at approximately 3:57pm and from the side covered by the hedge he saw Delilah and she was even more beautiful than her profile pictures. They met each other in the middle of the lounge and introduced themselves to each other. Because the restaurant was opening ready for dinner, it was getting louder so they decided to go around the corner to the local café where it would be quieter and they could finish getting to know each other. Martin found himself opening up to Delilah all about his past and present life including what had just happened today. Delilah was shook when he told her about his mother and explained to him that he was a strong person because he had just told everything about his past life with his mum and dad and he even told her about earlier and at that very moment Delilah knew that he was the one for her.


The evening at the café shot by and soon they had to call it a night. Delilah woke up feeling better than ever as the evening before went so well she couldn’t wait to see Martin again. On the other hand, Martin woke up feeling worse than yesterday, not through meeting Delilah but the fact that it had sank in that his mum was no longer here. I get that. If my mum had passed, I would be heartbroken full stop. However, this wasn’t all that he was sad about. Delilah and Martin agreed that they would see each other again today but instead of the hotel, Martin would go to Delilah’s. Thankfully, Martin eventually managed to get through the morning and felt that the fact he got through the morning was that he had Delilah on his mind. He then decided in that moment that his work could wait and chose to go home and get ready to head down to Delilah’s.


Delilah was that excited to see Martin again that she had already put makeup on and got dressed 2 hours before they were supposed to meet. She decided that she was going to wait by her front window to wait for Martin to arrive. Back at Sunnyside hotel, Martin was in his suite and was getting his clothes ready. Although Martin was only going to Delilah’s house, he still felt that he needed to live up to his image…… Rich and Ready. He wore an expensive designer navy suit and made sure his hair was on fleek, as usual. It normally takes him a few hours to get ready so this wasn’t out of the ordinary.


For around an hour, Delilah sat there waiting for Martin to show. Another hour had passed. Then she stopped and thought was Martin really coming? Or once again, had she been played… 

May 20, 2020 17:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.