2 comments

Fiction Inspirational Teens & Young Adult

Ella sat on the edge of the ballet studio’s polished wooden floor, her back against the mirrored wall. She stared blankly at the faint scuff marks on the boards, left behind by countless hours of rehearsal. Her ballet slippers, frayed at the seams, were tossed carelessly beside her, a sad testament to her years of dedication. Sweat dripped from her forehead, mingling with tears she was too proud to wipe away. The studio, usually a place of solace, felt claustrophobic and cold tonight. The gentle hum of the city outside was a distant reminder of life moving on without her, indifferent to her turmoil.

Ella had spent the past decade chasing the dream of becoming a principal dancer. From the moment she’d put on her first pair of ballet shoes as a child, she’d been consumed by a single, all-encompassing desire to dance on the world’s biggest stages. But now, at twenty-eight, she was still stuck in the corps de ballet, the unremarkable background of every performance. She’d watched younger dancers leap past her, securing the coveted roles she had dreamed of. Her body ached with the weight of unfulfilled promise, and her heart was heavy with the realization that she might never be more than a nameless face in the crowd.

The door to the studio creaked open, and Ella’s heart sank as she saw Mr. Antonov, the company’s artistic director, step inside. He was an imposing figure with a sharp gaze that seemed to pierce through even the most confident dancers. His presence always commanded attention, and tonight was no different.

“Ella,” he said, his voice tinged with impatience. “You stayed late again.”

Ella nodded, avoiding his eyes. “Just needed to work on a few things.”

Mr. Antonov sighed, crossing his arms as he studied her. “You push yourself too hard, you know that? You’re a good dancer, Ella, but you’ve been off lately. What’s going on?”

It was a question Ella had been asking herself for months. She looked up, her eyes brimming with frustration. “I don’t know, Mr. Antonov. I just… I’m starting to think this isn’t worth it anymore.”

He raised an eyebrow, clearly taken aback. “Ella, you’re on the shortlist for the solo in the upcoming showcase. This is your chance.”

The words should have filled her with excitement, but instead, they felt hollow. The showcase was a big deal, a stepping stone for any dancer. Yet all Ella could think about was the relentless cycle of auditions, rejections, and performances that never led anywhere. She was exhausted, mentally and physically. Every plié, every pirouette, every painful stretch felt like it was pulling her further away from the person she used to be—the girl who danced for the sheer love of it.

“I don’t think I have it in me anymore,” Ella whispered, her voice cracking. “I’ve been working for this for so long, but it’s never enough. I’m never enough.”

Mr. Antonov studied her for a long moment before shaking his head. “Ella, every dancer hits a wall. You’re so close. Don’t throw this away because you’re tired.”

But Ella was more than tired. She was defeated. She watched as Mr. Antonov turned and left the studio, his footsteps echoing in the empty space. For a moment, she considered calling after him, telling him she’d keep going, that she’d push through one more time. But the words wouldn’t come. All she felt was the overwhelming urge to give up.

She grabbed her bag and left the studio, the chilly night air biting at her skin. She pulled her coat tighter around her and started the short walk to her apartment, her mind replaying every missed opportunity and every failed audition. The city lights blurred as tears welled in her eyes, and she quickened her pace, desperate to escape her thoughts.

When she reached her building, she found Noah sitting on the steps, waiting for her as he often did after late rehearsals. Noah was Ella’s closest friend, the one constant in her life since they’d met in dance school. He’d abandoned his own dance career a few years ago after a knee injury ended his prospects, but he’d never stopped believing in Ella.

“You’re late,” Noah said, a faint smile on his lips. He stood up and pulled his jacket tighter against the cold. “Rough night?”

Ella nodded, her face clouded with exhaustion. “I think I’m done, Noah. I really think I’m done.”

Noah’s smile faded, replaced by a look of concern. “Done? Ella, you’re about to get the solo. This is what you’ve been working for.”

“It doesn’t feel like it,” she snapped, her voice breaking. “I’m tired, Noah. I’m tired of never being good enough.”

Noah reached out, resting a hand on her shoulder. “You are good enough. You’ve always been good enough. You just can’t see it right now.”

Ella shook her head, tears finally spilling over. “I’m not. I’m just another dancer who’s never going to make it.”

Noah looked at her, seeing the pain that words couldn’t fully express. He knew how much she’d sacrificed, how many hours she’d spent perfecting every step, how many bruises and broken toes she’d endured. He’d watched her pour everything into her craft, only to be met with one disappointment after another. But he also knew Ella’s passion, the fire that drove her even when everything seemed hopeless.

“Come on,” Noah said gently, pulling her toward the nearby café they always went to after rough rehearsals. “Let’s get some coffee and talk about it.”

They found a corner booth, and Noah ordered two lattes, knowing Ella’s order by heart. They sat in silence for a moment, the warmth of the café seeping into their bones. Noah waited, giving Ella the space to gather her thoughts.

“I just don’t know if I can keep doing this,” Ella finally said, staring into her cup. “Every time I think I’m close, it just slips away. I feel like I’m chasing something that’s never going to happen.”

Noah leaned back, running a hand through his messy curls. “I get it. Believe me, I do. But this is your dream, Ella. You can’t just walk away from it because it’s hard.”

“It’s not just hard, Noah. It’s impossible. I’m almost thirty, and I’m still stuck in the back. There’s always someone younger, better, and more talented. I can’t compete with that.”

Noah sighed, thinking back to his own struggle with letting go of dance. He’d been forced out by injury, not by choice, and watching Ella struggle with the decision to quit was painful in a different way. He wanted to tell her to keep going, that all the pain would be worth it in the end, but he also knew that wasn’t what she needed right now.

“I’m not going to tell you what to do,” Noah said carefully. “But I will say this: you owe it to yourself to see this through. You’re not just some background dancer, Ella. You’ve got something special, and you’re closer than you think.”

Ella looked up, her eyes searching his for some kind of reassurance. “What if I’m not, though? What if this is as good as it gets?”

“Then you’ll figure it out,” Noah said simply. “But don’t quit before you know for sure. You’ll never forgive yourself if you do.”

Ella took a deep breath, trying to let his words sink in. She wanted to believe him, but the weight of her failures was hard to ignore. Still, there was a tiny flicker of hope, buried deep beneath the layers of doubt, that wouldn’t quite go out.

“Okay,” she said finally, her voice barely above a whisper. “I’ll keep going. But just for a little while longer.”

Noah smiled, relief washing over him. “That’s all you need to do. One day at a time.”

The next morning, Ella found herself back at the studio, the familiar scent of rosin and sweat filling her senses. She stretched, feeling the familiar pull of her muscles, and tried to push away the lingering fears. When rehearsal began, she threw herself into every step with a renewed determination, dancing as if each movement could prove her wrong, could show her that this was all still worth it.

As the days passed, she began to find a new rhythm, one that wasn’t defined by her failures but by her commitment to keep trying. Mr. Antonov watched her closely, and though he didn’t say much, there was a shift in his demeanor—an acknowledgment of the effort she was putting in. 

Finally, the day of the showcase arrived. Ella’s name was on the program, not as a background dancer but as the featured soloist. She stood backstage, her heart pounding in her chest, every nerve on edge. Noah was in the audience, his familiar grin beaming up at her, and for the first time in a long time, she felt a spark of the old excitement—the thrill of stepping into the spotlight.

When the music started, Ella let everything else fall away. She danced with a passion she hadn’t felt in years, each movement flowing with a grace and strength she didn’t know she still possessed. The audience’s applause at the end was thunderous, and for a moment, all the years of doubt, pain, and hard work faded away.

Ella knew that this performance wouldn’t solve all her problems or guarantee her a spot at the top, but it was a reminder of why she’d started in the first place. As she took her bow, she caught Noah’s eye, and he gave herand he gave her a proud, encouraging smile. In that moment, the weight of her doubts felt a little lighter. 

The applause continued, and Ella felt a renewed sense of purpose. She had danced for herself, for the love of her craft, and for every moment of struggle that had brought her to this point. The future was still uncertain, but she had taken a step toward reclaiming her dream.

Backstage, Noah met her with a hug and a grin. “You were incredible,” he said, his eyes shining with pride. “I knew you had it in you.”

Ella smiled through her exhaustion. “Thank you for not letting me quit.”

“No matter what happens next, you’ve proven something tonight. That’s worth everything.”

As they walked out of the theater, Ella felt a glimmer of hope for the first time in a long while. She didn’t know what the future held, but for now, she was content to keep dancing, step by step, toward whatever came next.

September 05, 2024 15:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sophie P
12:20 Sep 09, 2024

Hi Vera, I love how your stories and dialogue echo relatable situations with such specificity! I found myself cringing at Ella's disappointment and the tension as she was waiting to go on stage. I am new to Reedsy as a writer, but I am also the staff writer on a new podcast called Words from Friends, which showcases writing talent by reading out short scripts and stories, along with telling listeners a little bit about the writers. It’s a fun way for writers to get their stories heard, connect with other writers and collaborate on future ...

Reply

Vera N
15:08 Sep 09, 2024

Thanks Sophie! I've emailed Words from Friends. Hope they reply soon :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.