0 comments

Mystery Suspense Crime

 The moment Mara walked out of the blistering cold rain and into the warm interior of the Robin’s Nest Inn, was the moment she knew it was over. She hadn’t yet got the corresponding text from her brother, Ryan, to tell her so, but the tranquil atmosphere of the vacant hotel gave her the impression that she would be safe. 

  Mara took her first relieved breath in what seemed like months. She would only need to stay here a while longer until she got the text that would change her world for the better. Then she and Ryan would leave the small town of Fairglass for good. 

  Mara took in another breath of air, but this time it sent a wave of nausea crashing through her body when she smelled copper. She knew where its source was, but her arms were glued to her side, unwilling to reach up to feel the searing gash in her hairline. So instead, Mara pulled her damp navy blue sweater hoodie farther over her face, hoping the incision in her head could be as easily forgotten as she was, standing here in the lone hotel.

  She took a tentative glance around the cozy inn. To her right, she could spot the Robin’s Nest Inn cafe bar and to the left was the rickety hallway that led to the first floor rooms. The walls were the color turquoise, or in this case robin egg blue, and together with its black and white checkered floors, it reminded Mara of the 1950’s fast food restaurants she had seen in movies.

  Mara had visited this hotel once, with her family during the Before. Those days were happy. The memories blurred together in Mara’s head with sunshine and cherry ice Popsicle and, of course, Mom. Mom was the only reason the Before was cheerful, and the only thing keeping their family together. But mom had been gone for over two years now, and so were the days of happiness. 

  And so was dad’s sanity.

  A painful throb in Mara’s head, finally forced her hand to reach up and lightly touch her wound. Her hand came back before her face, trembling, coated in warm sticky blood. She felt her vision swim at the sight and she almost collapsed when a pair of lanky, but strong, arms caught her before she hit the floor. 

  “Holy shit, are you okay?” a croaky, yet strangely warm, voice said. 

  Once Mara’s vision returned, she dared herself to look up and realized one of the Robin’s Nest Inn’s hospitality workers had caught her. With inky black hair and murky green eyes, the worker searched Mara’s queasy face before finding the jagged gash on her hairline.

  “Ah, crap, that isn’t good.” he muttered, more to himself than to Mara.

  Mara stayed silent, but pushed herself out of the hospitality worker’s arms. She stumbled back, having miscalculated her lack of strength, and her navy blue hoodie flew away from her face, revealing a mess of long mousy brown hair. 

  The worker reached to help Mara again, but this time she shoved his arm away. “I'm okay.” she said hoarsely, her throat too parched to speak correctly. She couldn’t remember the last time she drank clean water that wasn’t contaminated with basement dust.

  “Are you sure? You don’t look like you're okay.” 

  Mara finally managed to push herself off the ground and onto slightly wobbly feet. “Yes, I am perfectly fine.”

  The worker furrowed his brow, “Okay, suit yourself, but you look like you might need medical attention.”

  Mara froze. She would most certainly not have medical attention. If she was taken to any clinic or hospital, they would begin to ask questions. Ryan's words echoed in her head. Stay hidden until the deed is done. Make sure no one, especially not any authorities, know where you have been. Too bad she had already broken one of his rules.

  At her silence, the worker continued speaking. “What about a towel? You look like you just walked here in the rain.”

  Mara had walked here in the rain. From her house on Sycamore Grove a couple neighborhoods down. Once her brother had gotten her out of the house, making sure he was the last one to confront Dad, she walked in the icy cold rain all the way to the Robin’s Nest Inn, where Ryan would meet her once he finished.

  A chill went through her spine, either from the remains of water clinging to her body, or from the memories. Perhaps both. 

  The hospitality worker obviously thought it was from the cold because he wrapped his arms around her protectively and began to lead her towards the attendance desk. “Come, let's get you dry. Then you can do whatever you want.”

  Begrudgingly, Mara allowed herself to be led away by the worker. They walked carefully along the black-and-white checkered tile floors and behind the wooden service desk. The worker grabbed his black rolling chair and sat Mara down just as she was about to collapse. 

  Mara watched through drooping eyes as the worker went round the back into a Personnel Only room and came out clutching a white towel. Mara took off her hoodie, revealing a stealthy black tank top underneath. She took the raggedy towel and began to pat herself dry. From the corner of her eye, she watched as the attendant worker picked up the hotel phone and began to dial the familiar 9-1-1. 

  With a burst of adrenaline, Mara jumped out of her chair and pressed end before the phone could begin ringing. The hotel attendant gave her a skeptical look, or Jase by what his name tag read, asked`. “Are you in trouble?”

  Mara could feel her cheeks burn, “No.”

  “Well then, let me call the police to get you help. They will know how to take care of you.” he said, tanned arm reaching out to pick up the phone again.

  Mara hit his hand away roughly, “No.”

  Jase raised his eyebrows.

  “Please?” she whimpered.

  He sighed, his face molding into defeat. “I can’t help you if you don’t let me. Obviously something happened to you. If I can’t call the police then you have to tell me what’s wrong”

  Mara sighed, picking up the prickly towel to dry her hair. “I know it looks bad, but honestly nothing is wrong. I was riding my skateboard and I fell so I came here to get shelter.”

  Jase plucked an invisible lint off his turquoise uniform shirt. “So you were riding your skateboard in the rain?”

  Mara cursed to herself “Yes.”

  “Okay, then where is your skateboard?”

  Mara didn’t say anything. She knew she had horrible lying skills, and now she wished she had created an alibi on the walk over here.

  Jase let out an exasperated sigh, “Fine don’t tell me, whatever. But my shift is almost over and soon Alicia is going to take my place and she will call the police on you.”

  A sudden spell of faintness took over Mara and she felt herself black out for half a second before she opened her eyes to see red. She reached up to feel her wound gushing blood profusely, and she had to use all her strength to keep herself from fainting. 

  “Shit, shit, shit.” Jase muttered, running into the back room again and coming out with a small red box labeled First Aid Kit.

  Holding the back of Mara's head, he took out an antiseptic wipe and began to clean the blood off her face. A burning sensation akin to fire roared in Mara’s head when the wipe reached her wound. She bit her lip as Jase exchanged the antiseptic wipe for a square of crisp gauze and pressed it hard to her head. 

  After a couple of agonizing seconds, the burning pain subdued and Mara took in a gulp of air. Jase exchanged the bloody gauze for a clean one, discarding it into the trash can and continued to apply pressure to Mara’s head. 

  “Is it bad?” she asked once she could speak again.

  Jase looked into her eyes, then at the wound. “Nah, it's small. There was a ton of blood only because the head tends to bleed more when injured.”

  Mara’s lips puckered into an O. She could have sworn it was more severe. A jagged shard of PVC pipe to the head sure felt like something that could have killed her, or maybe she was just being dramatic. 

  Jase took a large camel colored bandage out the kit and applied it to Mara’s head, pressing down lightly on it. “There, it's fixed. Here, take some ibuprofen, it must hurt like hell.”

  Mara took the small plastic container Jase passed to her, opened it, and popped two red pills in her mouth, using her own musky saliva to swallow. 

  The pills didn’t kick in immediately, so Mara had to observe the inn through blurry eyes as she squinted through the pain. Jase was still looking at her expectantly, but occasionally his eyes danced back to the landline as if debating whether or not to call for help.

  A beep-beep sound of a phone notification broke the tense silence and Mara nearly jumped out of her skin. Immediately she reached into the elastic band of her jeans and took out her phone.

  SIM card has been added. You are now allowed to receive and send calls and messages. Press here to start your data recovering process.

  Mara almost screamed in frustration. This was not the notification she had been hoping for. She stuffed her phone back into the lining of her pants and looked up to see Jase giving her a strange look. Mara realized that she had, in fact, screamed in frustration but only Jase had heard. 

  “Do you want to tell me the real reason you were bleeding in the rain?” he asked, just as a clap of thunder ricochet through the air, making Mara jump.

  “I was walking home from a friend's house, but it began to rain and I couldn’t see clearly so I accidentally ran into a tree. I was afraid to get hurt again so I came here.” Mara lied.

  Jase ran his hands through his dark hair, obviously still not believing her. “How about a simpler question, what is your name?”

  “Mara,” Mara answered before cursing to herself. Another rule Ryan had told her was to keep her identity a secret, and she had just broken it too. 

  Jase nodded, “Okay, mine is Jase, obviously.” he said pointing to his name tag. “Now is there anyone you need me to call? Not the police, but maybe a friend or family member.”

  “No, my brother will be here to pick me up soon.” she answered. 

  “That's good then. Do you-” Jase began to say before the sound of a ding-dong split the air. 

  Mara instinctively flung herself to the floor and crawled underneath the desk, her bare elbows scooting uncomfortably against the tile floors. She watched as Jase tore his gaze away from her and to the door, where his mouth twisted down into a grim line. Mara could hear heavy footsteps, at least two pairs of them, approaching the service table. 

  Jase straightened his back and stared at the visitors, “Hello Officers, how may I help you?”

  Mara quivered in fear. Officers were here. Here. Jase would turn her in and everything would be over. She would never get to taste freedom again. 

  “Sir, we just came from a crime scene down in Sycamore Grove where it is evident of a severe and hostile case of domestic violence. There were two men there when we arrived after being dispatched but they fled the crime scene separately. We are searching for a middle aged man with graying brown hair and another man significantly younger, perhaps 18 and possibly even the son of the first man. He also had brown hair. Have you by any chance seen these suspects or anything suspicious during the past hour.” 

  Jase’s mouth almost hung open and he glanced down momentarily at Mara. When their eyes met, she silently pleaded with him to say nothing. He pretended he hadn’t seen her and his eyes gravitate back upwards. Mara knew it was over.

  “I'm sorry officer, I haven’t seen anyone enter in the past couple of hours. It's a slow night, I'm sure you understand, but If I do see something, I will make sure to call 9-1-1 immediately.” Jase answered.

  Mara’s body untensed slightly. Jase had covered for her. He couldn’t possibly come to understand how much it meant to her. 

  “Very well, if you do see something, please keep us posted. Thank you for your time.” the second officer said.

  Jase nodded at them in goodbye as the footsteps receded back out the door. He stayed still for a couple of minutes, before getting down and looking Mara in the eyes.

  “What the hell was that? Are they looking for you? Are you in trouble with the law, or with those people down in Sycamore Grove?”

  Mara could’t answer, all she could think about was the words the officers said. Two men, Dad and Ryan, fighting, then fled separately. This was not part of the plan. Ryan was supposed to get rid of Dad, then come pick her up and they would leave and never come back. 

  “Answer me, Goddammit!” Jase said louder.

  “No, they are not looking for me. Didn’t you hear, they are looking for two men!” Mara yelled back, pushing herself out from underneath the desk. 

  Jase opened his mouth to tell her something else when Mara’s phone buzzed again. Mara instantly pulled it out. It was a voice message from an unknown number. She pressed play and instantly the noise of footsteps stomping on wet gravel, panting, and rain pelting the phone came to life. 

  “Mara… It's me… I'm so so sorry… I didn’t know *static* he had an alarm.. On the base *static* door… He came too… early… that’s why he was there… when you escaped… I'm sorry you *static* hurt… Get medical attention and find shelter for the night… I won’t… come yet *static* got caught… Dad escaped too *static* disguise yourself… hide… answer me as soon as possible and whatever you do… don’t get cau-”

  The voice message clicked off and eerie silence replaced her brother’s voice. Mara’s heart was drumming in her chest and her breathing was coming out ragged. The plan hadn’t worked. Of course Dad would have alarms on the basement door where he was keeping her. No wonder he came just as she was ready to escape. 

  “Who was that Mara? What is going on?” Jase asked, breaking her out of her spiraling thoughts. 

  Mara ignored him, and instead snatched a pair of fluorescent pink scissors off the attendant desk and walked towards the front door where a small mirror was located. The words SMILE! IT'S GONNA BE A GOOD DAY! written in red paint ink over the top. 

  Before second guessing anything, Mara grabbed a chunk of her hair and chopped it off with her scissors. She watched, entranced, as her brown hair fell to the floor. An almost maniacal laugh bubbled in her throat as she grabbed another chunk and cut it off. 

  Mara could hear Jase speaking, but she ignored him and continued chopping off her hair until an uneven bob-like hairstyle was left. She ruffled her remaining hair with her hands, feeling its weightlessness, then she raked her fingers through to comb it back.

  When Mara turned back around, Jase was looking at her with a crazed look on his face. “Mara, what's wrong? What is happening?”

  Mara was about to answer with a lie when her phone dinged again. It was another voice message, this one from a different unknown caller. Furrowing her brows, she pressed play and the familiar deep voice of the man she loathed filled her ears.

  “Hello Mara… you think you can escape? I raised you and you belong to me… That’s what your mother would have wanted, for you to be with me… I will find you, Mara, and when I do, I will make you watch as I kill your idiotic brother for trying to get rid of me.”

  Mara froze, too stunned to speak. How did he get her number? Did he know where she was? Mara went to the home screen, and realized a moment too late her gravest mistake of the night. Her location was turned on, and anyone who had her phone number could find her.

  Biting her lip to hold in a scream, she opened the glass doors and threw her phone onto the wet pavement. It cracked satisfyingly, and Mara hoped it was enough for her dad to lose his trail on her, even if it meant getting rid of the last thing that still connected her to Ryan. 

  “Okay, that’s enough Mara. I'm calling the police. You need help.” Jase said from behind her, picking up the phone and dialing 9-1-1.

  Without thinking straight, Mara ran towards Jase and used her pink scissors to cut the cord on the landline, disabling it from further use 

  Jase gasped in shock, “What the hell Ma-”

  Mara stopped him, pressing a kiss to his cheek, which seemed to stun him even more. “Thank you.” she said softly when she pulled away. “Thank you for your help. I wish there was a way to repay you for your kindness.”

  Jase furrowed his brows at her, “You can let me call the police. You can repay me by letting me help you.”

  Mara shrugged, backing away from Jase and towards the door. “Okay, you win, call the police. But by the time they get here, I will already be gone.” 

  Without waiting for a response, Mara exited the Robin’s Nest Inn and into the cold frigid rain, because everything was far from over. 

June 01, 2021 16:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.