4 comments

Kids Drama

Morgan glared at the thermostat outside her window, hoping that if she stared hard enough it would cool itself down. It read 97 degrees. The melting creamsicle in Morgan’s hand confirmed it.

               The bed felt hot and uncomfortable. The cast on her throbbing leg could pass as a portable sauna.

               She looked around her bedroom for something to do. The pale green walls were lined with photos of flowers that looked like they might shrivel up in the heat. A mediocre breeze was blowing through the open windows. Her beloved bookcase held dozens of books organized in rainbow order. She felt too lazy to read anything. A little blue clock on a shelf read 6:28 pm. Her bedspread had leaves and red Hawaiian flowers covering it. The pillows were soft and white. A little succulent sat in a clay pot on the bedside table. Next to the pot sat a picture of her and her best friend, Kate.

Morgan picked up the framed picture. They were at the middle school graduation. Kate’s blonde hair looked platinum in the sunlight. It was smoothed back in a bun with a red bandana. Her green eyes sparkled, and her cheeks were red and coated with freckles. Morgan then looked at herself. Her dark brown hair was wavy and frizzy. She had chocolate eyes and an awkward smile. Regardless, they both appeared to be happy, hugging each other and grinning ear-to-ear.

Morgan thought about Kate. Once she had heard about Morgan’s roller-skating accident, she promised to come over as soon as she could. Morgan remembered what Kate had said.

               “Oh man, a broken leg? I knew you were clumsy, but not that bad.”

               Morgan chuckled. “That’s what I get for doing anything remotely dangerous.”

               Kate smiled and shook her head. “Well as soon as I get back in three days, I’ll come over. I can bring popsicles.”

               Morgan smiled, knowing deep down it wasn’t true. “That sounds great. I’d love that.”

               “Then it’s a deal. I’ll see you later!”

               Video call ended.

               That was two days ago. Morgan knew she had lied. She knew Kate would much rather hang out with another friend. Another friend who was a vegetarian and a painter and a swimmer just like Kate. Not like Morgan, who read all the time and told bad jokes and frankly, who would love a sausage right now.

               She wasn’t even sure when all this happened. But slowly she felt like she was losing a grip on Kate, like somebody trying to hold an ice cube.

               Morgan rolled over. She would settle for an ice cube right about now.

...


               “And now, for the ten o’clock morning weather forecast! How’s it looking out there, Bob?”

“Phew-wee Brenda, it is hot, hot, hot! Temperatures in the upper 90s all week, and sunshine every day!”

Morgan was always suspicious of the weatherman. He seemed a little too chipper about these temperatures. Maybe he had plans to go jump in an ice lake.

She remembered last year when her and Kate went to the lake.

“Oh, you’re too scared to jump off this rock. You won’t do it.” Mischief glimmered in Kate’s green eyes.

Unable to admit herself a chicken, Morgan retorted, “Oh yes I will!” She proceeded to run off the side of the rock, fall into the water, and sprain her wrist getting out.

Kate laughed the whole time. Morgan didn't think it was quite as funny, but it was a fun day.

She flipped the TV to the kids channel. Some chick-flick high school movie was on.

“You wanna come over tonight?”

“Oh, I’d love to! Be there at six.”

And then they hug and talk about how they will always be there for each other and they cry about boys and blah. She couldn’t stop thinking about Kate. The longer she thought about her, the worse she felt that Kate made an empty promise like that.

She flipped the channel again.

“To solve your problems, you need to look inside yourself. How can I improve?”

The psychology channel, she presumed. Who knew there was such a thing?

When Morgan looked at her problems, she only saw Kate. Kate never texted her. Kate ignored her. Morgan tried so hard, yet Kate put forth little effort other than to call her once in a while. She remembered last month when they were supposed to go tubing.

“I know I promised. But I can’t come today. Bethany invited me over, and she’s leaving for vacation next week.”

Morgan’s stomach dropped like a rock. “Didn’t you see her last week? You haven’t come over here since school let out.”

Kate paused. “I know, I know. And I’m really sorry. Can we just reschedule?”

“Sure. Maybe next week.”

“Awesome, thanks for understanding.”

Morgan did not understand.

Call ended.

But it was always like that.


...


Three o’clock rolled around, and there wasn’t a doubt in her mind that Kate was not coming. She hadn’t texted all day. Morgan remembered a talk she had had with her mom.

“I know it’s hard, but some people change and move on.”

A hot tear rolled down Morgan’s face. “But why does her changing mean ignoring me? I haven’t changed.”

Her mom pulled her into her arms. “You may not believe it, but I think everybody changes, including you. The difference is, some people change for the better, some for the worse. You get to decide how you change.”

Her mom was right, but it still hurt.

“Even when we are hurt, we have to move on. Dwelling on it only makes the pain worse.”

Morgan was startled from her thoughts by a knock on her door. Fixing her hair, she sat up on the bed. “Come in.”

A girl peeked her head through the door. Her green eyes sparkled. Her cheeks were red and freckled. But it wasn’t Kate.

“Hey, Julia!”

Julia went to Morgan’s middle school. She had always seemed pleasant. She opened the door a little more and grinned. “Hi! I heard you broke your leg, so I texted Kate and asked for your mom’s number. She said I could come over today.”

A smile crept onto Morgan’s face.

Julia reached behind her back and pulled out a colorful cardboard box. “I brought popsicles. I had to guess what you liked, so I got creamsicles.”

Morgan’s phone buzzed. A text popped up.

Kate- Hey, I’m so sorry. I can’t make it today. Maybe next time.

Morgan scooted over on the bed. “That is so nice of you. Why don’t you come sit down?”

Julia took off her Vans and laid them by the door. “Thank you, I’d love that.”

Two months later, Morgan limped into her bedroom with her cast-free leg. She had just gotten back from the doctor to have it removed. Her eyes went directly over to the picture of her and Kate. Smile on face, she grabbed it and put it on the top shelf of her closet. She pulled another picture out of her bag and set it on the table.

The picture showed two bright and smiling girls. One had sandy blonde hair and green eyes. The other had brown hair and chocolate eyes with a red cast on her leg. They were both sitting on a bed, grinning ear to ear. A creamsicle was melting in each of their hands.

Bzzz.

Julia- Would you wanna come over for dinner Saturday night?

Morgan’s mom was right. Sometimes you have to move on. And it would’ve been a shame if Morgan had missed a creamsicle while waiting on an ice cube.

August 07, 2020 21:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Scott Doran
01:25 Aug 14, 2020

Nice story. I liked the symbolism and you certainly did a great job communicating the feeling of being stuck inside on a hot day.

Reply

Mackenzie Meetz
01:30 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you so much! I appreciate it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
12:13 Aug 08, 2020

A great message on the ending, Mackenzie! I enjoyed reading the story! Would you mind checking my recent story out, "(Pink)y Promise"? Thank you :D

Reply

Mackenzie Meetz
18:48 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will go read it now :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.