T.A.C.P. ( Jazeira )

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Write about a child witnessing a major historical event.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Suspense Sad

September 11, 2001, 6:30 am,

" Jazeira, wake up!" Her mother said as she picked up the basket of laundry that was on the floor. " How many times do I have to tell everyone to put the clothes in the basket and not on the floor? I have a big meeting today at 9 am. This will really be the start of my charity or it won't but either way I am going to blow this out of the park." Jazeira peeked over her blanket and said," Yay Mom! I think I am supposed to go to the fire station after school. Grandpa and uncle Henry said aunt Theresa was taking us Ice skating, then we are meeting at Savta's later for latkes and applesauce. "Her mother popped her head around the door frame and said," Yes, I think so. I think you are going to the zoo too sometime this week . Now hurry put the green dress on with the pink sash and the pretty black shiny Mary Jane shoes with your pink lacy socks. Your back pack is under the stairs next to your science project. Are you really turning in that volcano?" Jazeira hopped out of bed and looked at her mom," What's wrong with a volcano?" Her mother sighed and said," Everyone makes a volcano. Just wait, you'll see." The girl went to the bathroom and washed her face and brushed her teeth and finished getting dressed. Her father popped through the door, hopping on foot to the other waiting for Jaz to get finished with her grooming. She opened the door and kissed her daddy's cheek on his way in the door. She shut the door and went downstairs and got her back pack out and looked at the volcano and wondered if she should even take it in. Then her stomach flipped and she felt very hot. Next thing Jazeira knew she was throwing up on her mother's wooden floor. Poor thing couldn't stop throwing up. Her father said," I'll keep her with me today. You call the school, I'll get the mess cleaned up." Sara picked up the phone and called the school and informed the nurse that Jaz would not be coming into school today. She looked over at her husband and said," Ok, all set. Jaz can stay with you today. Hopefully there will be no fires and she can just stay at the fire house. Have Bert babysit. Didn't Georgie say that Bert's wife Platz'd because he had to work overnight on their anniversary?"

Her husband nodded his head as he finished wiping up the vomit." Yea, he's gonna be there and he's not happy. I thought I would stop and pick up some Bagels and Lox for him to make him feel a little better." Sara stopped and turned and said," Let's take her temperature. " Ben turned and opened the drawer closest to him and riffled around in it for a minute and pulled out the thermometer and put it in her mouth. " Please do not bite it. There, that's better," Her father said as he touched her face. " Come on just one more minute." Beep. He looked at the thermometer and it read 102.3.

7:30 am

Everyone got into the car. They started heading to Manhattan through the Lincoln Tunnel. Sara worked at the World Trade Center tower 1 on the 31st floor. As Ben was driving he kept looking back at Jazeira and worried her fever might be getting too high.

8:15 am.

Ben arrived at Tower 1 and came to a complete stop and let Sara out. They kissed goodbye and said they would see one another later. Ben turned off the hazard lights and flipped the turn signal on and turned right two streets up from the towers. He drove on for a while up near in Washington Square Village, and pulled up in front of the firehouse and helped Jaz out of the car.

8:30 am.

Jazeira sat wrapped in a blanket and sipping on some purple Gatorade. She felt so bad she just laid her head back and fell asleep. Drool came from her mouth in a long thin strand.

8:47 am..

Jaz was awoken with the blaring of sirens and the men scurrying around getting ready for the thousands of people who would need help. She heard her father say," That plane just slammed into the building. I can't believe it. Every fire house from here to Connecticut are being hailed. Capt. says that three of the ladders from Connecticut are being routed to our ladder. Ben picked up Jazeira, carried her to the fire truck and strapped her into the seat and they started on their way to the Twin towers.

On the way, Ben was concerned about his wife. As they turned on to Murray and down to Church St. to catch the spot they wanted to be in close to the tower but not too close. As they pulled onto Murray, Ben noticed the Military and there was a surveillance truck. He stopped the truck , got out and said to the men in the surveillance vehicle." I'm Ben Levitz, Ladder 226. This is my child, I need to get the truck in closer and I need to leave her here with you. I know where you are. I will come back for her." SSGT. Thomas Riley nodded his head as he finished eating the last of his sub sandwich and looked out at the little girl thinking she looked like she wasn't feeling good. Which would explain why she was with her dad and not at school. He watched as she just turned around a few times and sat down on the nearby curb and put her head down in her hands. She reached into her backpack and grabbed out her Gatorade and drank some and put it back in her bag.

As Riley wadded up the sandwich wrapper a few minutes later he heard ," Pull Tower 1." He stood up as it registered in his mind what was just said, and he jumped out the door. As his boots hit the ground Jazeira turned quickly to see what Tom was looking at. Suddenly there were pops and puffs of white smoke popping out of the building and it started to fall. Tom turned her and tried to move her into the alley but the building came down so fast all he had time to do was tuck himself over her. As he tucked over her, it shoved her down and she scrapped her knee. The young girl yelled ," Ouch! 'Then said, It's ok, it's ok, it's just a scrape on my knee." What happened? I don't understand. Then she felt her parents spirits and Jazeira knew in her heart that her parents were dead. She was in shock and she didn't say anything . The concussion wave hit him and he held firm against it and then when the smoke washed up around them did he stand up. He looked at the girl and said, come on honey, we are going to have to move and get you to the medical tent that is a little further up. She nodded and held her hands up to be carried. He reached down and picked her up and carried her up the street. He was such a sucker for a damsel in disress. Then he heard," Pull Tower 2" He cringed inside and set her down on the ground. " Ok honey, we are going to have to huddle again one more time. They had only made it passed City Hall. They were still too close to that tower but they had no choice. As he heard the pops he tucked around the young girl and said softly," What's your name?" She said softly," J- Jazeira. Mom works on the 31st floor and Dad went to help her get out. Did they get out?" Riley wasn't sure so he said softly," I don't know, ok now hold on that building is going to come down fast. I'm gonna need you to stay in front of my chest." She nodded and Tower 2 dropped in what seemed like hours but in reality it was just a few seconds. Debris flung out and hit his back. He swayed lightly with the concussion wave and allowed the plume of concrete and smoke to blow past before he moved. Bits of concrete and asbestos clung to his outer Jacket. Jazeira looked up as the tall man stood up and then he picked her up and continued to walk to the medical tent. A few minutes later and they made it to the medical tent.

A nurse turned and looked at Riley and grabbed Jazeira. He said," She has a laceration on her knee and a bump on the head." Sandra looked at Riley and said," sit." Tom said," Nah it's ok, it's just a flesh wound." Then crumbled to the ground. As he fell, Sandra saw that there was glass and metal protruding from his back barely missing his spine. She looked up and yelled, " Sgt.! Help me get him on a table." She said, as she started removing his jacket. Two large sgts came and helped her get Tom up on the bed and situated on his stomach. Some of the glass had penetrated and cut his back it was bleed ign down in rivulets. He needed stitches in quite a few places and one spot looked to be bleeding a little more than normal it would have to be both cauterized and sutured.

Jazeira sat on a nearby table and watched as they worked on Riley. He began to struggle in his sleep and say," Leelee, don't leave me. Please come back. Don't die baby." Jazeira hopped off the table and reached out and held his hand and said in his ear as she stood near him he lay on the bed and said. " Hey mister, you can't die yet. I have to save you twice and you have to be old and gray when you die." He struggled to wake up and he said," Water. I need some water." Jazeira grabbed him some water and handed it to him. He finally opened his eyes and grabbed his hand and said," Are you ready to go? No offense anyone but I'm safest with him. Hey mister, what's your name." Well Jazeira, My Name is Thomas, Thomas Riley. Nice to meet you."

Jazeira looked up at the 6 foot 2 tall man with soft brown skin, light brown eyes and a signature military high and tight and said," Hey Tommy, have you ever heard of a life debt?" Tom nodded and said," Yes, I have. It is a very powerful bond. Let's go get something to eat before we head to the fire house and let them know where you are and how to get in touch with you. You can come home with me." They young girl looked at him with no hesitation," Of course I will. I have to save your life twice before you can die. If I don't live with you, how can I settle the life debt?"

Tom looked at the young girl in front of him and said," My, My Jazeira, you have a very old soul. I'm very impressed. Today has been a very hard day on many, many levels. When it all hits you, I am here for you. My grandfather and grandmother will love you to death, you will meet them soon. Alright let's go eat. Wait what do you want to eat?" Jazeira looked up at him and said without hesitation," Pancakes."



February 07, 2021 21:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.