0 comments

Christmas Creative Nonfiction Friendship

🔅🔆🔅

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! For some is magical, with a beautiful white snow covered surroundings, where the wind stops and birds sing, where reindeers graced in the deep green coloured  grass, the sun brights like a diamond and the clouds at the fluffiest point and bouncy, yes, I’m talking about Christmas season. This is a time for forgiveness and love and caring and sharing. Hate is forbidden here. Brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, daughters, sons, nieces, nephews, the lonely neighbour next door, all become one strong indestructible force ruled by one purpose: sharing, enjoying and celebrating in their basking glory! …… Yes, I think I went to far, I’m exaggerating once again.

The McMaster family was invited for this great reunion. Christine, who married the Wolf’s showed up with new husband. She remarried an Scottish man, an expert in the sheep hearding contest. He met his wonderful now new wife. For the  first time, she introduced to us her 3 kids, all rosy cheekbones freckled and red wavy hair.

The second sister, Becky, came back from college Christmas holidays from the University of Texas. On her second year of Business, had met a business man at an auction. There, they purchased a holiday summer farm, a place where to start their own life. At the end of summer, they were given the keys and ownership of the house. Mickey proposed to Christine right after the paperwork of the new farm was finalized. It was like a Cinderella story, right in the middle of the barn, when the sheep got back from foraging, guided by Benny our dog back in. The sub rays  came thru one of the holes in the ceiling, like a spotlight aiming at the gold ring, announcing its precious message. Mickey popped out the black velvet box, kneeled one leg down and signed his life away - will you marry me? Popped out the question.

Becky wasn’t expecting this - maybe when they both finished studying. Mickey knew it was time. Becky without hesitation approved the proposal, signed and sealed with a kiss. After they were introduced to the family, they made their wedding plans official. 

Dad gave a big hug to Becky and both Becky snd Mickey got Dad’s blessings. Mom of course was crying out of happiness. Her tears like bright diamonds ran down her cheeks. Tears of joy, tears of happiness.

Everyone noticed the crying of little babies. Mom ran to the upstairs to check out what was happening upstairs.

Mom proudly came down with two babies, one on each arm. They were so tiny they turned red when crying. Their crying was a note of declaration/ we need to be introduced! , we need to meet the rest of the family! 

As soon as they heard mom’s voice, they calmed down.

Carmela and Rodrigo (their new name, we never knew their original name), Cambodian twins were abandoned after birth. Right where the original parents were found killed. Dad found them crying besides their mom and dad uncontrollably, with their dirty and messed long black hair. Big tears came out of those deep black eyes. This was the pair Mom and Dad decided to adopt. They both felt they could still spread more love they still had inside to more kids that indeed were to grow without parents to look up to. 

Mom and Dad felt alone. They missed the noise of babies growing into teenagers growing into adulthood. The love they had to one another was too much to contend, so they decided to adopt. They adopted two babies because they felt one was to be so lonely, so needed a number two to play with.  Voila- I think the McMaster family looked like a soccer team already, very happy soccer team.

The smell of roasted pig and roasted potatoes with rosemary invaded the room. Time for dinner! At the table, 3 generations of the McMaster’s were present. Dad had a big smile on his face, looking at 3 generations made him feel really proud.

Time for a toast! 

For this lovely family and their successors, for their never ending love and caring, for supportive and advice to their growing kids and good health for their kids, let’s make a toast!

The doorbell rings. Everyone had a questioning expression on their faces. Who could it be now? Are we missing somebody? I think we did not missed anyone. Who is it?

During Vietnam war, Dad served as technical development engineer for the US Navy. He was dispatched to a military US base to service the heavy artery that pushed the Russian soldiers back to China. There in Cambodia he witnessed the killing of a couple trying to escape the Russian militia. They kill shot the patents, leaving their kids besides them. Both twins were sitting there not knowing what to do, just crying and looking around for someone to come and take them away from the hell they lived in. Everyone passed by ignoring them. They were small and underweighted. Dad picked them up, one each arm and continued walking with the troops. After the kids were dropped in good hands, Dad came to visit them at the nursery, and made sure they were ok. Every weekend he made sure he paid a visit. After 3 years of service, Dad got sent back to camp base, reassigned to office duties after a long service time. He went back to the USA. 

He lost track of the twins.

Dad went to open the door. To his surprise there was some recollection. Dad recognized DRIGO. Karma, on the other side, turned into a beautiful black long haired skinny tall woman - no kids. Karma decided not to have any kids. She opened up a kids orphanage for kids affected by the on going Vietnam conflicts. 

Karma had connections in the government, so she traced Dad back to his address. Right over dad’s shoulder, Drigo noticed the commotion down in the dining room. Dad noticed that, asked both to come in and join the family reunion. There was a little commotion back in the kitchen were the women of the family were setting up the dishes to serve at the table. The women noticed that someone rang the doorbell. Their curiosity brought them up to the door where Dad and the two individuals were standing. Dad looked at them and looked at the women at the women sat at the set up table after, and said’ come inside! You are very welcome to join us!

The two strangers came inside and sat in the living room. They felt embarrassed with all the commotion happening, the guys talking out loud flexing about their next year’s plans and sharing their kids milestones. 

One of the boys noticed Dad and his mysterious guests, shortly after were asked if they wanted to join the family reunion. They both embarrassed accepted it.

Dad said- remember that story I told you guys when I was in Vietnam serving for the USA navy? One of the boys said, recognizing them- you are the twins dad told us about, yes you are the Vietnamese twins! The couple blushed.

Come in and join us! One of the boys vocalized. They felt embarrassed. Little by little they both warmed up to the Xmas reunion. Later,  I saw them talking close to the fireplace. Dad looked more relaxed and smiled quite frequently when talking to them. Of course they were feeling better.

We all welcomed our Christmas Day together. Together as one family, regardless of their differences and origins. Love and understanding won again. Humanity makes beautiful miracles happen.

June 19, 2021 01:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.