44 comments

Fiction Contemporary Speculative

The abandoned city roads cross like shadowy vapors, and felines move forward bony and lean. Moss-pasted stones and conspicuous passageways are abandoned beneath flickering bollards that refract an ominous harp over hidden cellar doors. Aged brick walls are jagged and plummed by harsh weather. Slanted architecture, bizarre and oblique, cross-shaped stones where names grow pale, and vines that coil left through worn weeds remain webbed by dark thread connected pole-by-pole as if it were taut kite string. Shattered and hollow bottles mingle with adolescent toys shaded by surrounding skyscrapers tattooed against the night.

Saul stands and hobbles about on frail legs. The coarse, scratchy gown dangles strangely, scarcely covering his behind. He finds a sink in the corner of the room and holds himself up by the taps. He puts his face in the polished ceramic and lets cold water run over his head. He urinates a few painful drops into the adjacent toilet. He raises his gown and palms more water over his shrunken stomach. 

A nurse enters.

"What are you doing?” She asks.

"Do I know you?" Catechizes Saul.

"Hush now," she replies. "Let's go. Back in bed." 

Saul obeys with disgruntled humility.

"Okay, that's it now. Nice and easy."

He lies back, sheets clammy and salty damp. The nurse lowers the head of his bed with a foot switch while he fans his belly with the gown's skirt.

She covers him, reconnects the IV, and leaves. 

He lies half awake and floats in the oblivion of his thoughts as he hears water dripping in a bowl and slaps of sneakers in the hall beyond from some other kind of kingdom.

Saul's eyes flutter, half asleep, despairing his world. He wakes to a skittering creature beyond a boxy casement framed in a milk-tinted padded door. It hops and sprawls erect through the shadows of the tenebrous hallway beyond. In the next moment, it is gone. Saul mutters curses. He rolls out of bed and frantically drags himself toward the cacophony of hounds, yelping and crying.

He pulls himself up to his feet as the beasts scamper. Their panting grows to a crescendo of grunts and howls. Saul stands naked in a vast, pale blue void. His eyes widen. They crash into him and drool in a pack of soaking matted fur. They round and snarl in an aggressive flurry, once, then twice. They rapidly streak with expeditious flight into a boundless, pastel abyss. Saul beholds the crest of a bone-tinted moon before being pulled back to his cell. 

The priest visits. The bed is elevated for him to see. Saul's body droops like a veined invertebrate. His sweat pools on the sheets. His surrounding bed sores soak in mucilaginous vaseline. 

"Is there anything you would like to confess?" 

"I saw them again," says Saul. "They came after me." 

The priest smirks.

"Did they?" 

"I'd like some wine." 

"Oh, that's not a good idea," says a nurse. 

"It was never an idea." 

The priest bends, opens a leather case, and removes a small corked apothecary jar.

"You must have seen something. You had a had a close call yesterday," says the priest.

"Life is always a close call." 

The priest uncorks the jar and tilts wine drops from a miniature spout down Saul's throat. He closes his eyes to savor it. 

"Do you have any more?" 

"Just a drop. Not too much." 

"That works," Saul says. 

"God must have been watching over you. You nearly died." 

"They are all watching." 

"Oh?" 

"They never stop watching." 

"Is that really true?" 

"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." 

"I see," says the priest. 

Saul shakes his head. 

"No," he says. "You don't." 

The priest's eyes furrow. 

"And why is that?" 

"You know not what you see even with the freedom to see it." 

"So you want to see the world?"

"I do, but not like you."

Saul closes his eyes, and the priest leaves. The pain returns, and he clutches his bald head and mumbles, gags, and vomits, but only saliva comes up. He turns and writhes in torment with his eyes wide open.

Saul awakes to footsteps in the room. Shapes cross between his thin and crooked eyelids. He's pulled on a gurney through the never-ending corridors and spaces. Saul is pushed through swinging doors, which are unordered and maze-like in their construction. He's wheeled through auscultating and yellowish regions, like the inner gut of an enormous living thing. To and fro, his soul goes by floodlight through the universe's renal areas. 

Phantasms and shapes drift through tomb-like rooms, with glass and mirrors reflecting the fear of God. The faces of the living bend. Gray, geometric apparitions lurk about the halls in murky corners where lost souls can only descend. The freaks and phantoms sculpt away under the cold white plaster of the ceiling.  Saul smiles and then laughs at their retreat. 

"Go on. Get now," Saul says. "You had your chance, but you neither see nor understand."

Saul meticulously observes a cathedral's wide shale steps and the crest of a bone-colored moon that rides in a dark void beyond the steeple. A tear crosses over his smiling cheek. Sheathed in a blanket, Saul stares aimlessly at the moon, tilted and arced in slow motion around a population of birds that fly and gather quietly in harmony until departing in a flawless formation, dissipating in the pale phosphorescence like a twirling spire of smoke, softly attended by a plethora of light diffusing through the gunmetal and leaden clouds that disperse over the basilica like a glorious mist.

He saunters through the vestibule, where there are mounted brass brackets with torn books, long, worn leather knee benches, and gaudy altars that rise like gothic plateaus painted with ornaments of carbon marble. Arching steeples ascend with cobalt angels beneath the pinnacle of a jaundiced Christ. God agonizes beneath a plastered thorn crown with nailed palms and a speared anemic belly juts beneath sharp ribs while limbs sag above chipped flesh-colored fastened feet. Saul gazes into the spectacle with enraptured awe. The sanctuary, brighter than the sun, enthralls him. Saul swoons dizzily and collapses to his frail and doddering knees. He sees and understands without consideration of truth or peril. 

April 23, 2024 05:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

M.L. J.
00:41 Apr 28, 2024

I'm absolutely stunned by your talent with imagery. "ausculating and yellowish regions, like the inner gut of an enormous living thing" was so vivid along with so many other descriptions was gripping to read. I will absolutely be taking a leaf from your book!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
05:39 Apr 30, 2024

Thank you ML, ditto. keep up the great work

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dustin Gillham
04:06 May 02, 2024

That means a lot to me, M.L. J. Thank you, not just for the efforts you put out in creating your talented works, but for taking the time to read mine. I am humbled. Blessings, Dustin

Reply

M.L. J.
04:38 May 02, 2024

❤️❤️❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
S. E. Foley
08:13 Apr 26, 2024

Your word choices are impactful.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
04:03 May 02, 2024

I love words. Love them. They are the paint! Thank you my friend!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
05:20 Apr 26, 2024

Incredibly vivid imagery draws the reader into a story that has many layers of interpretation and meanings. I read the other comments and this is awesome. The writing style has poetic feeling and your unique writer's voice adds tone and something special, and makes this have especially strong impact

Reply

Dustin Gillham
05:23 Apr 26, 2024

Thank you Kristi. I am honored you took the time to read it. I pray it was both enjoyable and thought-provoking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sherri Moorer
15:22 May 02, 2024

Excellent story with vivid imagery.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
18:35 May 02, 2024

Thank you, Sherri.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:13 Apr 29, 2024

Loved your take on this prompt!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
05:28 Apr 30, 2024

Thank you, cheyenne. Ditto!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
07:11 Apr 28, 2024

I have always felt for Paul/Saul who experiences too much, sees too much. It is a gift a and a curse to see past reality into further dimensions. He drives himself into a conduit of this power Great descriptions - good luck in the contest! Thanks!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
05:35 Apr 30, 2024

ditto, marty. I wont win here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:07 Apr 28, 2024

Who are these hounds? The hounds of hell. Visions both haunting and troubling rebound round every imagined corner here. “Life is always a close call.” Never a truer line. In the midst of life, we are in death and what we live may be lived in the full knowledge of that. Compelling language. I wondered if Saul had been a priest and was now nearing death in hospital. He was clearly entangled in some kind of religious experience. Or, like Saul of Damascus, was something extraordinary being unveiled here? Was he reaching the climax of some inner...

Reply

Dustin Gillham
05:38 Apr 30, 2024

the hounds represent past shame, confusion, and the demons he will continue to face in the future. Yes, something amazing was being revealed. Thank you for questioning. Much of my work includes biblical-like protagonists in an alternate setting

Reply

Helen A Smith
06:02 Apr 30, 2024

I’m interested because I had an unusual religious background and it tends to impact on one’s life.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
07:13 Apr 30, 2024

Ditto, Helen. I work on my relationship with the Lord, but I need to be obedient to He who is greater than me. Still a struggle. I grew up with a father who was very military and was a PK, his dad was a pastor and raging alcoholic that beat him. I had that for a while. Mom, never having faith, was the oldest and grandma also had the disease, like her mom before and so on. Belief is always unusual. A lot of my writing attempts to reconcile it. Much love, Dustin

Reply

Helen A Smith
07:25 Apr 30, 2024

Thank you for sharing this Dustin. I feel moved by your revelation. My own family experiences were very difficult and let’s just say it was a massive struggle with faith. It was completely unbalanced and unhealthy, hence the struggle. However, I cannot dismiss its continuing impact on my life and hope in some small way to draw from the positive. I ended up getting a religious studies degree, although I never used it. I am not much of an academic. However, it was a fantastic course and I learnt from it. I recognise in your writing some p...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
07:49 Apr 30, 2024

Im working constantly to produce cutting edge fiction, but which the reader, both familiar and unfamiliar of the battle between good and evil, can somehow relate. Thank you for reading. And God bless.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Trudy Jas
11:16 Apr 26, 2024

This in another great story. So much symbolism and anguish. Well told. Thanks for liking my stories. :-)

Reply

Dustin Gillham
12:17 Apr 26, 2024

Trudy, you are so talented. I appreciate you and I finally got a chance to check up on writers I love to read. Keep up the great writing.

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:23 Apr 26, 2024

Thank you, Dustin. :-) And here I thought you just had been bored last night. :-) Thanks for the kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hannah Polis
10:07 Apr 26, 2024

Such compelling writing and a haunting story. An overall fantastic read, thank you for sharing!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
12:16 Apr 26, 2024

and thank you for reading Hannah. it means a lot to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:44 Apr 26, 2024

Thanks for checking my latest stories :)

Reply

Dustin Gillham
12:10 Apr 26, 2024

I've been so busy. it was an honor to catch up. Marvelous Laura

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:42 Apr 26, 2024

An intriguing nightmare vision. And what a great sentence! "Sheathed in a blanket, Saul stares aimlessly at the moon, tilted and arced in slow motion around a population of birds that fly and gather quietly in harmony until departing in a flawless formation, dissipating in the pale phosphorescence like a twirling spire of smoke, softly attended by a plethora of light diffusing through the gunmetal and leaden clouds that disperse over the basilica like a glorious mist."

Reply

Dustin Gillham
12:21 Apr 26, 2024

Scott, you found it! My favorite sentence I've ever written! That one sentence made this story worth writing, and I prefer humility over ego... but that might have been the most beautiful sentence I've ever written, Thank you for seeing and understanding it

Reply

14:10 Apr 26, 2024

Guiness book of records for the most words in a sentence? Totally scintillating.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
17:03 Apr 25, 2024

Deep stuff, man. I was curious about what he could see that we couldn't. Nicely done, as always.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
05:02 Apr 26, 2024

He pretty much sees everything as it is, for him, there are a lot of biblical allusions in this one, From Saul to paul. His world is is very different than ours. Thank you for reading Darvico

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:00 Apr 24, 2024

Intelligent prose, mesmerizing descriptions, riveting plot -- all wrapped up into a biblical allusion. Vintage Gillham!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
04:59 Apr 26, 2024

Love you, D. Thank you for reading. Less prose, more show, less tell. I'm working on it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:07 Apr 23, 2024

Your brilliant talent shines forth. Wow! Dustin. You have been busy reading my stories. I am deeply honored. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
07:39 Apr 23, 2024

"The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it." - Well, that sucker-punched me in the heart...in the best way possible. I will note that in my journal now, thanks. Hahahaha ! Dustin, this was brilliant, as usual. The way you gave a spin on Paul's story was so impeccable. You can feel his desire to seek the truth and his frustration at how the world around him chooses to turn a blind eye. For some reason, I thought of a line, probably my favourite, from Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" (my favourite from S&G, by the wa...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ty Warmbrodt
07:39 Apr 23, 2024

As usual, a masterful piece. I see the biblical parallel here. Great job with the imagery. I would definitely like to read more about this character.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dustin Gillham
05:32 Apr 23, 2024

Readers and Writers, This is a longer story I'd been working on. I'd like you to know what it's about and how it relates to the prompt. (Should you be interested in the historical figure Saul or Paul, My favorite book concerning his life is "Paul" by NT Wright. Very long but amazing in my eyes. Saul- Blind dude in a mental hospital declared mad. Setting- Mental hospital Conflict-he's dying and can't see, but can see, from the world in which he is confined, Mental patients tightly monitored, every one of them have a yearning to see beyond t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Viga Boland
13:25 Apr 27, 2024

Hi Dustin! Your “likes” on all my stories were a surprise. If you also managed to read them all, then I’m ever grateful, given the complexity and excellence of your story here. You are a master of language and know how to use words that paint intricate, poetic visuals. I’m in awe. And Saul? The poet who sees what others don’t. My kind of person!

Reply

Show 0 replies
09:47 Apr 27, 2024

Your deep spiritual beliefs come out in this story. It wasn't obvious to me what Saul was up to. He seemed very unwell to be an explorer. You write like you are doing a series of paintings. Vivid imagery. Now I'll read your first story. If I read an earlier and a latest each time, I'll eventually be caught up. Keep up the writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Joe Smallwood
02:28 Apr 27, 2024

Wow! I thought you read so many of my stories that I had to at least read one of yours! Is this part of a novel? If not, I strongly believe it could be. It felt like a glimpse into a much larger story, more like a chapter than a short story. Have you considered expanding it into a novel? Anyway, I'm following! Oops! I didn't read your comment before posting. Yeah of course.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.