How To Be A Good Glass Of Red Wine

Submitted into Contest #205 in response to: Write about a character who develops a special ritual to cope with something.... view prompt

7 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Inspirational

Being a shattered glass of red wine is no easy feat. However, it's become something I've mastered over time—a skill that, quite honestly, came effortlessly to me. I didn't choose to slip from his grasp as he attempted to place me on the dinner table. I never intended to be a relentless stain on the eggshell-colored wool that adorned the dining room floor. Nor did I ask to be subjected to the insults and the careless steps of those who foolishly walked barefoot amidst the shards. I didn't aspire to be another kitchen item awaiting replacement. None of this was my intention, yet excelling at shattering has become my accidental expertise. 

As I lay here, crimson liquid seeping from my fragmented edges, emitting a fragrant bouquet, I shall impart upon you the wisdom of avoiding a fate like mine. I will guide you on how not to become a mess that necessitates cleanup from those responsible for your fall. You need not leave a stain on your parents' cherished white shag rug, a rug they deemed perfect for adorning the space beneath the dinner table—a place destined to encounter spills and accidents. Allow me to show you how to shatter with grace, or rather, how not to shatter, ensuring that your jagged edges won't harm those inconsiderate souls who might unwittingly tread upon you. 

The first thing I'll share with you is that you are better left unopened to age. Accumulate a long shelf life instead of being the first one on the shelf to be opened. By embracing this approach, your allure becomes even more captivating. Your flavor reaches new heights, and your desirability skyrockets. Adopting this mindset allows you to escape the pressure of immediate gratification and instead focus on the long-term rewards. You become a rare gem, a hidden treasure that only those patient enough to explore deeper will have the privilege to discover. So be that fine wine. Place yourself on the back shelf, where you are least likely to be discovered for some time. And when the day finally arrives and you step into the spotlight, the world will marvel at your remarkable journey and exclaim, "Ah, this aged like fine wine!"

Secondly, it's crucial to be mindful of who consumes your essence. Will it be the exhausted mother, worn out from a day of tending to her children's constant demands, seeking solace in just one or two glasses of wine during dinner? Or perhaps the wife, returning home to an unemployed husband who spends his days idly, yearning for a drink to maintain a semblance of civility in their conversations? Perhaps it is the young woman, her heart aflutter with nervous anticipation on her first date, for whom a glass of wine serves as a gentle ally to soothe her jitters. Alternatively, could it be the young man, a wandering soul who dapples in this and that with poetic inclinations yet unable to divert his gaze from the irresistible allure of a woman's bosom? Like a storyteller, you weave narratives with each bottle, offering solace, connection, and inspiration. Your journey from grape to glass is not just a transformation of taste but a catalyst for meaningful moments and unforgettable experiences.

Thirdly, pay close attention to how they consume you. Is it their first glass, a fleeting reprieve from the demanding hours of a relentless hospital job, a moment to gather strength and inspiration? Or do they seek to silence the cacophony of life, indulging in just a hint of you to ignite their creative flow? The artist who seeks inspiration, swirling the wine delicately in their glass, observing the interplay of light and liquid. With each sip, their mind awakens, a whirlwind of colors and ideas taking shape. Perhaps it's their second or third glass, and do they gulp it down with a sense of urgency reminiscent of their college days, desperately trying to impress someone who scoffs at the idea of beer? Or have they paced themselves, cognizant of the need to savor each sip, cautious not to become excessively intoxicated before the husband returns home, expecting dinner to be meticulously prepared and awaiting his arrival? Each sip carries its own story, reflecting the unique circumstances and desires of those who partake. By paying attention to how you are enjoyed, you gain insight into the intricacies of human nature and the multitude of experiences that surround you.

The fourth thing I'll tell you is to observe how they behave once they consume you. Do they find themselves yearning for a second or third glass, the initial taste having ignited an insatiable craving that demands satisfaction? Or perhaps, in their eagerness, a bit of the wine spills onto their shirt, oblivious to the fact that red wine stains require gentle blotting, not vigorous rubbing? Take note of their demeanor as well. Does the wine kindle a spark of playful flirtation, causing them to become a touch more daring with their partner or anyone nearby whose heart beats in proximity? Do they engage in charming banter, their words flowing smoothly like a poet's verses? Or does desperation take hold, causing them to spit words of neediness and urgency at the nearest available company? 

Lastly, what do they do with you now that you've been drained? Some may leave the empty, opened bottle on the kitchen counter, deeming it a task to be addressed later, perhaps tomorrow. Do they rinse and place you in the recycling? Or maybe the trash. There is a difference, mind you. Now, here's where their intentions become truly revealing. Will they reach for another bottle, acknowledging that the first was but a fleeting taste, insufficient to fully satiate their desires or alter their state of mind? Or will they pause, gazing upon your emptied vessel, appreciating the lingering traces of your fruity aroma and the warmth and love you once infused within their veins? 

With all of this in mind, please take it with a grain of salt. Because being a stationary object means I cannot control who delights in my essence, or how much of me they would like to consume, or if I slip from their feeble fingers. I am but an observer. Destined to your destiny. Fated to your fate. I am yours to bend at will, so I will shatter, emptied with no acknowledgment or appreciation, and tossed with no regard to my remnants but know that I watch you. I watch what you do with me; that is how I age like fine wine, ensure my jagged edges won't harm you, and stay sane in a world of dwindling wine connoisseurs without an appreciation of my essence. 

July 02, 2023 19:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Patricia C
00:20 Jul 14, 2023

This is such a unique piece of writing! I love that it is from the point of view of an inanimate object, yet the advice given is so meaningful. You did a great job using descriptive words to keep readers attention throughout the story.

Reply

Tessa L Watson
17:04 Jul 20, 2023

Thank you so much for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Jenkins
13:50 Jul 13, 2023

Overall: This was a multi-level story that really got to the heart of the human condition. Beginning: At first, I actually thought the protagonist was the glass itself, sans wine. So the wine inside the glass was a part of it, sort of like a soul in a body. Middle: Then, my mind was blown when the "glass" of wine became the "bottle" of wine. Sort of like a human consciousness that has a source. The aging part fits in there as well. End: "Destined to your destiny. Fated to your fate." That reads like something I would have written as a you...

Reply

Tessa L Watson
17:16 Jul 20, 2023

Thank you for reading :) I really appreciate your take on my story, when writing, I really didn't have a protagonist in mind. Writing from the POV of an inanimate object definitely doesn't make having a set POV easy. I like that you mentioned the soul in a body and human consciousness because it was very unintended in this story, but it is something I think about a lot and therefore tends to show up in my writing. I am glad someone else noticed that. Thanks again for reading and for your comment!!

Reply

John Jenkins
16:54 Jul 21, 2023

It's amazing that I saw something deeper in your writing, and that you hadn't consciously tried to do that. I was going to say in my comment that you probably know who Eckhart Tolle is, or have read The Power of Now. Maybe even Wayne Dyer.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
George Pickstock
14:30 Jul 08, 2023

An interesting story from a unique point of view. But that's where it becomes confusing. It begins with the POV of the wine glass, but by the third paragraph, we've shifted to the wine itself. We ultimately ended up back where we started in the POV of the wine glass. Still, not a bad effort.

Reply

Tessa L Watson
17:22 Jul 20, 2023

Thank you for reading!! Writing from the POV of an inanimate object definitely does make lines blurrier, similar to drinking too much wine ;) Again thanks for reading and for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.