0 comments

African American Contemporary Fiction

James the CEO of an international beverage company is happy and excited that this week we are moving straight from march into April, he is much excited about the first of April because this year he has decided to pull a prank on Smith who pulled a massive prank on him last year.

Last year, April 1st, James was at a beach with his lovely wife, having an amazing time on a caravan sports infinity zero gravity chair. The crimson rays of sun kissing his face and arms, with the cool and gentle breeze which was pregnant with the smell of sea-salt blessing his nostrils, it was his best moment not until...

His phone rang.

It was a call from the office line. He specifically told them not to disturb his holiday with his lovely wife unless it was something extremely important that no one else could handle except him and they should use the office line to make the call.

"Hello"

"Mr James, sorry to disturb you, a huge deal came up and you are the only one the company allows to sign such deals."

"Really?what deal is that? Can't that deal wait till I return on Monday?

"No sir, it can't"

"Ok, I will be on my way get all the documents ready for me before I come" He ends the call.

"My dear, the love of my life, my shining Star, My heartbeat, the mother of my children, my partner, my own, my Darling, sugar lumps, my Queen, my confidant, my best friend, my cutie pie ..." Mr James praises his wife before she cuts in.

"What exactly do you want?"

"Can't I praise my dear wife again?" He says

"I know you more than you know yourself and I can tell that you need something right away" says his wife

"Hmmm"

"Yeah"

"I actually need something" He says using his fingertips to scratch his head like a little baby that wants candy.

"I said it"

"OK, go on"

"Something came up at the office and we...have to...return back"

"What? This was not our agreement. I know you love your work more than me but this is too much on me" says his wife sobbing

"That's not true dear, I actually planned a nice time with you but this came up suddenly" He explained

"Really? This came up and you have to cancel our trip, all because its a huge deal right?" She says and walks away from the beach into the grand five star hotel room they booked.

Mr James goes after his wife and tells her he is sorry and won't go anymore.

"I don't care about the deal more than you, as a matter of fact let me call Mr Smith and inform him I won't be coming again".

Mrs James upon hearing this intervened and collected the phone from her husband before he made the call.

"You don't have to do that, I now know you don't value your work more than me, so we can go back" She says though still upset they have to cancel the trip.

Mr James had to promise his wife a trip to her dream country for their next vacation and a full weekend shopping just so they could return to sign the deal and so he could see her smiling once again.

On his arrival to the office, all the other staffs were shocked but no one dared ask him.

He went straight to his office and before he could sit, he heard a knock at the door

"Come in" he said

It was Mr Smith so he collected the papers to sign them and that was when he noticed that it was not that necessary he signed them that day, it was all an opportunity to carry out April fool on him.

He got mad and angry at Mr smith his best friend but he couldn't get angry for long. He had to forgive his best friend after he(Mr Smith) gave him the tickets to go to another vacation at a much better place he wanted to go to but that still did not mean that he still had to pay for a vacation to his wife's dream country, follow her there and give her his cards for her shopping. He decided to pay him back this year.

Fast forward to April 1st this year, Mr James has his own plans for Mr Smith.

On 30th of March Mr James calls Mr Smith and informs him they have to attend an immediate meeting in another country that day and the flight was already booked.

They left the office immediately and headed for the airport. After a five hours flight they arrive their destination but they are told that the meeting is still going to hold but they have to wait for a while since the other colleagues had issues with the flight they booked.

Mr James puts on the perfect act by shouting at the junior staffs there. He gives them a signal to play along and they all act well. Mr Smith even goes to the extent of trying to calm Mr James not knowing his plan.

Mr James had a plan B and the plan was he sent a particular message to all their customers, announcing that Mr Smith has a major event he is hosting so he can sell the company at a particular rate.

Someone calls Mr Smith and he goes to answer the call, he comes back and waits patiently for the other colleagues though looking at Mr James with disgust.

Mr James, feeling he has achieved a lot, spends more time and delays Mr Smith till the time he is to host that event.

The call Mr Smith received was from one of his trusted staff telling him about Mr James plan B and how he wants to achieve this plans

Mr Smith a very angry man decides to convert the event to a virtual meeting. Mr James his friend is shocked and he asks him but he told him to wait and gave the best smile that could encourage a weak heart.

"Good day everyone, this event is majorly because me and my friend that are in charge of this company are tired and we want to sell it at a price that is not much" Mr Smith said

Mr James kept looking and laughing thinking his friend is only joking as usual.

People start bidding for the company at the virtual meeting till it got to the last person. Though the amount the person called is not up to the amount the company earns in a month, he sold the company there and then due to the anger of what his friend did to him.

Mr James couldn't believe it, he was shocked and perplexed at the turn of things. He tried contacting the lawyers to change things back to normal but Mr Smith had gone a step further by acquiring the legal rights of the company and the worst part was he also signed the documents.

©Faith Idachaba

March 31, 2021 23:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.