4 comments

General

"Breaking news" the news anchor announced. "The prime minister had extended the lockdown till 3 May".

"He had also appealed to everyone to stay in their homes".

" The prime minister personally requested everyone to stay in their homes to come out only when it is necessary". And then Netflix was surfing on the T.V.


"Suchit yaar, I was watching the news?" I said irritatingly.


"The news anchor will repeat the same lockdown news for about an hour". He said.


"And what do you are watching on Netflix? There is no show left to watch". I said as we had literally binged watched all the show during the lockdown period.

" We can re-watch also?" He said resting his head on my shoulder.

"The kingdom". I said as the show title displayed. " I don't want to watch zombie series right now".

"Huh, then what do you want to do?" He said pushing a strand off my face. Whenever he does that there is something fishy going on in his mind.

"We can also play in bed. A family game mother father and a baby on the way". I smack his hands away from my face. And basically, we are playing this game every night reluctantly I gave up as he carried me toward the bedroom. *********** The morning bright yellow sun turns into an orange ray within a blink of an eye. A crispy onion pakora with a cup of hot tea was placed in front of our balcony. I looked at my glowing ring we are married for 2 years but it just feels like we are newly wedded couples who can't get enough of each other.

Suchit walks inside immersing himself in front of the T.V I was not in the mood for it so I decided to sit down for few more minutes.


Birds were singing the sweet melodious song to their young one's sun saying goodbye or sort of welcoming the moon. The view was mesmerizing but we don't have time to appreciate the view.

The birds chirping were disturbed by the giggles of the small children. I looked at my left side 3 small children were tickling each other in their balcony. A smile crept on my lips seeing them how carefree they are and enjoying their life to the fullest. We should also live like children carefree and enjoying life to the fullest.

A woman steps out dressed in a baby pink suit salwar with a snow-white dupatta wrapped around her head. "Cmon inside or else mosquito will bite you". She said moving them inside.

The children obey her going inside but their giggle can still be heard. She looked at me with narrow eyes but she didn't look at my eyes she was looking down. Then I realize she must be looking my naked legs not fully naked though I was wearing a black mini skirt. I shifted in my position under her gaze looking for a blanket to cover my legs but then her window glass make a click sounds as she storms inside.

The mosquito started biting me carrying the pakora and my mug of tea I head inside closing the windows. Suchit was watching his episode stuffing his mouth with a fist full of popcorn. I stride towards my kitchen to my horror the sink was fully loaded with the utensils. That's what happens when the husband cooks only just a pakora and a popcorn.

I was standing in front of the bathroom mirror looking myself with lots of thoughts running like a high-speed train into my mind. Should I do it? How many times would you do it? When was the last time I checked it? It was two days ago I guessed. No, you checked it yesterday only. My hands reached toward the cabinet involuntarily I removed one of the packets from there and now there were 5.

After waiting for 5 minutes which feels like an eternity for me there was a red line on it. I checked it once again just to confirm and the red line didn't fade away. I throw it in the dustbin storming out from there.

" What happened?" Suchit asked as we were reading our bedtime books no Suchit reading his books and I just flipping the pages.

"Nothing". I said taking a deep breath. He closed his book and placed it on the bedside table he took my books also placing it above on his book.


"Whenever a woman says nothing it is a warning sign". He said.

"What happened now?" He asked once again looking straight through my eyes.

I shrugged my shoulder as if I had lost my voice or there is nothing to says. "Did you check it recently?" He asked. I lowered my gaze he sighed clutching my hand he placed a kiss on my forehead. "How many times I had told you to not checked it?" He said. "It's normal you know I think for everything there is a perfect time".

"And I loved you I don't care about these things and you know that". He said.

I was too tired to have any conversation right now I lie down on my bed turning my lamp off. Suchit hugs me from behind laying down with me he started placing continuous kisses on my temples.

I hold his hand turning toward him I pressed my lips on his. ********** I was watering the small plants in my balcony whose leaves were looking like exhausted and sunken but I think the problem is in the sand. I remove it from the pot and the roots were looking fine but there were one or two insects hanging on the roots.

"You should put some cow dungs on it". A voice said I looked up and there was the same mother from the last night leaning on the iron grills. She was now wearing the peacock green suits with a dark blue dupatta wrapped around her head. I wondered doesn't she feel hot under these clothes.

" You know what is meant by cow dungs". She said confusing my staring with ignorance.

"I know the cow dungs it's just the first time I had decided to plant and take care of them all by myself". I explained to her.

I looked at my dress and thank god I had worn a pajama covering my legs. One of her children came toward her crying she skillfully manages to stop her cry and now she was laughing and placing kisses on her cheeks.

" Your children are adorable". I said unable to control myself.

"Yeah they are but they can be like a monster sometimes". She said as her daughter escapes through her arms.

" Never say such things you are lucky to have them". I snapped at her. "I mean to say they are just children". I said composing myself.

" I didn't mind it". She said.

"How much time have you been here?" I asked.

"Must have been a year I guess my husband works transfer lots so we are continuously shifting our home every two or a year". She said.

"Oh! Strange we live so close but yet we don't know each other". I commented. But deep down I think it was my work which lefts me a little or no time for such chats. It is one of the disadvantages when you are a high profile lawyer working in metropolitan cities.

"I hardly get any time for other activities my whole day spend behind my children". She said although her voice was sad her face we're glowing when she mentioned her children.

" Are you newly married?". She asked out of sudden. I nodded my head in agreement "How do you know?". I asked.

" Umm... Voi... The wall is not so thick so we can hear the voices at night". She said her gaze we're lowered. I was embarrassed as hell "There are some works pending". She rushed back inside before I can say anything.

********

I was sitting in the hall completing some pending cases I was having a hell lots of difficulty in concentration. I was kind of restless I walked inside the kitchen suchit was preparing the afternoon snacks sandwich I guess from the ingredients he pushed me outside "No kitchen entry". He said.

He had some anxiety problems I guess he didn't let anyone be in the kitchen when he was cooking like ever but he hardly cooks. With no other option, I stand on the balcony I was trying hard to not look at her balcony but my head turns left side and there was no one and I can't hear any giggles. I try hard to get a peak or a glimpse inside the house but it was too hard to peek inside her room. The door stormed open as she came out with a handful of wet clothes I stand upright and avoid any clumsiness.

"Oh! Hey". I said which was sounding a hell of an awkward to me. "Today no children". I said.

"They are all tired with playing all days now they are taking their naps". She said as she hangs the little clothes.

" Oh!" I was upset a little about not seeing them it has been 2 days I guess and I was craving to see them again.

"Your child will be so lucky to have you as a mother. I am sure you are going to spoil him by your love". She said.


"When I was newly married I was also like you whenever I see a couple with their child I used to scold the mother whenever she shouts at them for a small reason. But now I guess they were right you can't just always loved them sometimes you have to be harsh". She said but I was lost in the midway only.


I simply nodded my head, Suchit calls me from the hall as he placed the cup of the tea and the sandwiches I excused myself from her.

I embrace Suchit in a brief hug the tears started to roll down from my eyes. "Hey! What happened?" He asked stroking my back. I pushed myself further into his arms moving my head up I looked at his lips.

The sour taste was rising up through my stomach stopped right at the back of my throat I broke the hug rushing toward the bathroom I threw up the rising bile. It was the weird vomit ever I had experience Suchit handed me a glass of water I took a sip of it.

"Are you okay?" He asked. "Shall we go to the doctor?" He asked. "You know it's better to go to the doctor during such periods". He said and a bell rings into my mind hearing about the periods I tore the packet from the cabinet.


Shutting the door closed I take the test handed it to Suchit as it was too much for me to see the result. Five minutes we're up and I looked at him, he had a sour face and I was heartbroken once again until he shows up the stick there was a green line on it. I ran toward him and we kissed until we are out of breath.

******** "You know every morning I woke up and rush toward the washroom with rising bile". I explained to Zubeidaa the same mother who is now my mentor I guess.

" It will be in a starting phase only if you think this is worst than wait till the baby starts to kick". She said as her baby poked her face.

"Is it feel heavy during the last stage of the pregnancy I mean I had seen some photos and the stomach was really big I mean really really big". I said and she busted out in laughter.

" It has been only a day since you found out you are pregnant and you are already worried". She said.

"No I am not worried I am curious I guess". I said.


April 19, 2020 03:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Anna Vos
14:48 Apr 30, 2020

My favorite part of your writing is the way you describe the details of what your characters are eating or wearing or the way they are moving. You are able to portray the longing of a woman to be a mother. You had a little trouble with punctuation but those are easy fixes. Enjoy the process!

Reply

Kavita Rawat
03:20 May 01, 2020

Thank you so much for reading my story. And about the punctuation, you will find my story more improved next time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crystal Lewis
13:14 Apr 26, 2020

What a very lovely story! I think it shows motherhood (or the wishing for motherhood) very well. Just keep an eye on the grammar as sometimes the sentences didn't make sense which made me not so focused on your lovely story. Also, have a look at the punctuation around talking marks. So instead of writing it like this: "No kitchen entry". He said. You would write it like this: "No kitchen entry," he said. Otherwise, I enjoyed reading your story. :)

Reply

Kavita Rawat
07:10 Apr 27, 2020

Thank You so much for reading the story and for giving advice. I will keep that in mind next time onwards.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.