Following a guide to bring back the dead

Submitted into Contest #36 in response to: In the form of diary/ journal entries, write about someone on a long-awaited trip.... view prompt

0 comments

General

April 7th,

  • Two coats, mine and his. 
  • Four quarter. Only one is needed but it doesn't hurt to be prepared
  • one blanket. For when he gets cold. 
  • a flashlight. Brand: Maglite. It looks sturdy enough. I did the research, it should last through the trip. 
  • Four extra batteries for the flashlight. I hope that would be enough.  
  • One week’s worth of food and water, and a water filter. Just in case.
  • An object of importance to the deceased: the deck of cards should do, but I shall bring his coat and amulate as well. Just in case. 


That should be everything I need. I set off on the marrow. I hope the guide is trustworthy.


April 8th,

I am getting ready for bed right now. The first day of the journey had been successful.  The guide said any forest will do, but the denser the better. So I went to the forest behind the mountain: The biggest forest in my immediate vicinity. I would have gone further but I do not wish to delay this journey any longer. I am anxious to see him again soon. As the guide stated, a white glow did indeed appear near sunset. At least I know the guide I spent most of my savings on is trustworthy. I repeated his name and how dear he was to me. Because he is dear. For all that he is flamboyant and obnoxious, I cannot think of any individual I care about more. Maybe I should have been louder. My voice was likely barely louder than a whisper. I've been told I have a small voice. Unfortunately, I do not have the...stamina to walk for hours and maintain enough breath to yell. I did the best I could. I hope whatever spirit controls this forest and this ritual heard me. I walked till a bit after sundown. As per the guide, I turned on the flashlight and set it down next to me. Hopefully this will take me to where I wanted. 


April 9th (Morning),

Maglite is indeed a good flashlight brand. I had left it on overnight and it was still shining as bright in the morning as it was the night before. Unfortunately, what was supposed to occur did not. I guess one day is too short a time. The guide never did mention how long this will take. I guess I am impatient to see him again. I miss him dearly. The battery does not look too drained, so i’m going to continue with the current ones. 


April 9th (Night),

Another day of walking towards a white light and yelling his name. Louder, this time. I attempted to yell the whole way but my voice gave out on me, so I was forced to switch to my usual muttering.  Maybe whatever spirit or fey did not hear me the first time, but I hope they’ve heard me now. I do not remember the forest being this large on the map. I've been walking for two days now and the edge is nowhere in sight. This must mean whatever needs to be working is working. Something supernatural must be occurring, I only hope it’s the right one. No, I cannot hope. I know. I know that the right ritual is commencing. I know that I will see him again. I know this guide will lead me to him. 


April 10th, 

No progress. I switched the batteries of the flashlight, as the light was dimming near the morning. Judging by how long these lasted, I should have four more days worth of batteries. I only hope I can find him before then. 


April 11th,

No progress. 


April 12th,

Rations are running scarce. I only brought a week’s worth of food and water. I only have two days worth left. What if I can't find him before then? I am beginning to lose hope. 


April 13th (Morning), 

It appeared! The gate the guide explained. I am too filled with nerves to proceed properly, so I've decided to write first. Who knows if I’ll be able to after I've entered. I've donned his coat  and put mine away, so it will be warm when I give it back to him. I checked to make sure his cards and amulate are still here. They are. The quarter, the fee to enter the gate, is in my hand. The extras tucked safely in my bag. The flashlight, I've replaced the batteries again, I no longer possess any unused ones, is also in my bag. Along with an extra blanket, to keep him warm as we leave. I left whatever was left of my rations on the floor. For him. Later. When we come back he’ll probably be hungry.  I feel my hand steady as I write. I think I am ready. I can't wait to see him again. 




April something


I have him. I will add on a date later, when I can check what day it is, when we get home. When we get home. We. It is nice to write we instead of I again. The pages I’v wrote down there seem to have vanished. I do not dare documenting them once more. It must have disappeared for a reason. And if just a few pages of my journal is enough to have him back, it is more than worth it. Because I have him now. Currently, as I am writing this, he is asleep next to me. He is covered in the blanket and his coat: bright purple, patterned, just as loud and flamboyant as he is. As he is. Not was. Is. It suits him far more than it suits me. I am glad to return it to it’s proper owner. The amulet hangs from his neck, where it belongs. He is holding onto his deck of cards,  grasping for dear life. All in all, he looks warm. The last time i’v seen him, blood had tainted every inch of his beautiful skin. He looked dead. Now he is warm. He is alive again. I am so happy. Ah. I think he’s waking up! I will add more to this later. The guide says to spend a lot of time with the one you’ve brought back, and I am more than happy to comply. 


April 09, 2020 04:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.